Spinoff of TV Guy's thread.......what pound turkey are you cooking IF you're cooking turkey?

About 16.5 lbs. I’m cooking for 7 people. Got it for free from ShopRite and it was the smallest one I could find. I like having leftovers.

DD got a 14 pounder for free from both me and her using her Shop Rite Price Plus account.

Now we’re working on a reduced price Christmas ham using MY account. I don’t like the freebie ham. We have about $60 left to claim the ham before Wednesday. Shouldn’t be a problem.
Last year I had enough to get two free ShopRite turkeys. We kept one and donated the other to a local food pantry. I usually get the free ham or lasagna for Easter too. It’s really nice that they still do this. (Years ago, I used to get a free Thanksgiving turkey from my employer as well.)

i'm doing a 16 pounder. it's allot for just the 2 of us but we will freeze large portions for soup, pot pie soup, hot sandwiches and casseroles. i've got a much smaller one (around 10 pounds) in the freezer i picked up earlier in the year. we'll hold on to that to do up on the big green egg at some point (bbq smoked turkey pizza is awesome).

I will buy a 3lb roasted turkey breast from The Home Baked Ham store.

they are pricey but their products are excellent. our christmas and easter tradition is to get one of their hams. by getting it larger than we need i'm assured to have ham slices in the freezer for future meals as well as 2 ham bones per year for ham and beans.

Today, the only free turkeys left at Safeway were 8-9lb and 24lbs...yes, when my spouse knew it was free, he couldn't say no.

So, he's on the hook for turkey all the time for the entire Thanksgiving weekend (with a break for our dinner with friends Friday, unless they make turkey, too). At least I'll save the cost of lunch meat for the week...

So, 6 of us with my 1st 24lb turkey - gonna drop the sweet side, I think, this year, since we won't need it, and it's the one thing the kids don't care if we have...

So, turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole - all allergy appropriate for me...

I have another grocery trip planned, so I may pick up another discounted one to do if we have bad weather in the forecast. It's kind of "fun" to do a turkey and make soup etc if we have a snowstorm. Turkey, it's not just for Thanksgiving!

I am cooking a 17 lb turkey and a fairly small ham. It will be a different and difficult holiday. We just lost our youngest sister to cancer last month so that is the difficult part. My sister who usually cooks is in NYC with her 12 year old daughter who is dancing in the Macy Thanksgiving Day parade. So I said I'd cook this year and have her husband and son over along with one of my brothers whose wife and daughter are also travelling. I found out that my sister and niece fly home on Friday so I switched dinner until then. All of my sisters and at least one of my brothers usually spend Thanksgiving together with everyone bringing the sides and desserts. This year I am doing it all myself.

11.5 lbs. - wanted 14-15 lbs. - not to be found. DH smokes our turkey every year and leftovers are looked forward to as much as the day of.
Have our usual sides, dressing, potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, etc. etc.
Our favorite gathering of the year. Used to get 18-20 lbs. but too large for us to manhandle anymore.

I am cooking a 17 lb turkey and a fairly small ham. It will be a different and difficult holiday. We just lost our youngest sister to cancer last month so that is the difficult part. My sister who usually cooks is in NYC with her 12 year old daughter who is dancing in the Macy Thanksgiving Day parade. So I said I'd cook this year and have her husband and son over along with one of my brothers whose wife and daughter are also travelling. I found out that my sister and niece fly home on Friday so I switched dinner until then. All of my sisters and at least one of my brothers usually spend Thanksgiving together with everyone bringing the sides and desserts. This year I am doing it all myself.

Sorry about you losing your sister. :hug:

18 lbs. I wanted to do two small turkeys but this one was the smallest I could find. Only 7 of us, but I like leftovers and to make a big vat of soup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter