• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff: Thanksgiving Foods That You Hate

Like many others here, I don't like green bean casserole. In fact I don't like green beans period.

I'm not a fan of pumpkin or sweet potato pie.

Finally i don't like fruit salads with nuts and marshmallows and some kind of cool whip and mayo dressing. I love a good fresh fruit salad with just the fruit though!

When my dad was alive my mom always made creamed onions for Thanksgiving. Of course he was the only one who actually ate them!

My father insisted on them too. I'd eat them, but they were no means a favorite of mine. The only time I see them in the supermarket is this time of year.

large_f11eaae5-2351-40e4-931f-1ecd210eab1d.JPG

I'm surprised nobody has said mincemeat pie; maybe nobody eats it anymore? I like a little piece, once a year, although I am willing to bet I've never had the kind with real meat in it. Alas... I never have it, because nobody ever makes it, because nobody besides I will ever eat it!

When I was a kid I thought mincemeat pie was made from a "mince," which I imagined was a small furry woodland creature like a chipmunk. I was horrified at the very idea.

About five years ago, I finally tried it a few days before Thanksgiving. DH, DD, and I each took one bite and couldn't finish. So so sickeningly sweet.

I hate cornbread dressing that is soupy and in my opinion disgusting. Most of the cornbread dressing that I have had cornbread that has a lot of egg and then a whole lot of broth. The resulting dressing is "soupy" and is just disgusting.

I can't stand stuffing that is too moist.

I don't like yams or sweet potatoes. Is there a difference? Either way, I just never liked them.

Sweet potatoes and yams are from entirely different families of plants. Virtually all of the "yams" sold in the US are sweet potatoes. I think many people called sweet potatoes yams way back when and the name just stuck. The USDA allows them to be called yams as long as the words "sweet potatoes" are also on the label.

483e5783-e833-4c47-9213-88d964082bd6_1.7c191fb34a1e25207e7c914f778542bf.jpeg
eec5ebcb-c4e7-4b25-a651-a8b5788aaedc_1.ff4a4fdd398339ba6a2fe6074147e746.jpeg

Yams are very starchy and are virtually without any flavor.

I like baked sweet potatoes with butter and/or brown sugar and cinnamon. But not candied in syrup.

I hate cornbread dressing that is soupy and in my opinion disgusting. Most of the cornbread dressing that I have had cornbread that has a lot of egg and then a whole lot of broth. The resulting dressing is "soupy" and is just disgusting.
That sounds more like stuffing than cornbread dressing. Cornbread dressing can normally be cut into squares like cake. Moist but far from soupy.

It’s easier to list the things I will eat..

Turkey (white meat only, no skin)
Potatoes
Peas and carrots
Rolls

I don’t like it but I always have to eat some mashed turnip. My mom puts it on the table only because it’s what her mom served. My mom doesn’t like it either. The weirdest part is that it’s not even turnip, it’s rutabaga but we call it turnip.

I'm surprised nobody has said mincemeat pie; maybe nobody eats it anymore? I like a little piece, once a year, although I am willing to bet I've never had the kind with real meat in it. Alas... I never have it, because nobody ever makes it, because nobody besides I will ever eat it!

i love mincemeat pie-and i've had the real stuff b/c a neighbor used to make a batch of the filling (with the meat) and can it to gift-SPECTACULAR. these days i just get one of those boxes at cost plus with the small individual mincemeat (absent the meat) tarts to enjoy at christmas.

not much that i don't care for w/the exception of stuffing that has giblets in it:scared: i love root veggies, eat pearl onions (though not creamed) on a regular basis, enjoy my variation on the traditional green bean casserole, prefer fresh yams or sweet potatoes and would KILL to be able to get a hold of the version of cranberry sauce the honey baked ham stores in california sell (here it's some god awful goop in a small jar).

I love everything that people say they hate! The only thing I don’t like are peas.

I don't care much for turkey. I make it for tradition's sake, but DH is the only one at our table that enjoys it. I am also not a huge fan of pumpkin pie.

I have never tried green bean casserole, but it is very unappealing.

I will never eat a deviled egg.

Give me the dressing, bread, cranberry sauce, sauteed green beans, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and sweet potato casserole and I'm happy.

I was going to rush in here and add the nasty sweet pototo concoction topped with marshmallows to the list, but I see it has already been thoroughly reviled. :rotfl:

Do you mean soupy when eaten? That’s just wrong!

I don’t add egg but everyone here adds broth to make it a bit “soupy” before cooked and then it’s baked until firm. The bread soaks up most of the moisture. It’s moist when baked but doesn’t come out soupy or clumpy or anything like that. It isn’t even so moist that it “holds its shape” when spooned out of the baking dish.

Its very hard to describe the right consistency for before cooked and the way it’s supposed to be. Mostly trial and error gets it right.

I like green beans and once or twice when my Mom didn't have the frozen ones she used for the casserole, she had to use fresh. I liked it much better because the beans weren't soup. My kids like Brussels sprouts and I found a recipe once where they're done with green onion, Parmesan, cream and bacon. Everyone loves them in my family so now we have both the green bean casserole and the sprouts. There are usually less sprouts left over.

One year I made homemade dressing for my Mom’s house. Everyone wanted to know where the Stove Top was. :rolleyes: Never again.

My brother-in-law, who is from Michigan, grew up eating Stove Top Stuffing for Thanksgiving, so, in addition to our homemade dressing, we have a little dish of Stove Top Stuffing just for him.

Growing up I hated turkey. My dad always made the turkey and it tasted terrible. When my dh started cooking the turkey using an elaborate Gordon Ramsey recipe I discovered that I actually did like turkey, just not my dad's turkey. Nothing will make me like candied sweet potatoes though. They're way too sweet and soft. Green bean casserole from a can is sacred according to my dh (who didn't even grow up in the US :sad2:) and our boys. One year I tried making it from scratch in an attempt to improve the flavor. I thought it was delicious but they were horrified. DS 11 has been deputized to make the green bean casserole.

One year I made homemade dressing for my Mom’s house. Everyone wanted to know where the Stove Top was. :rolleyes: Never again.

This past weekend at the supermarket I saw a shopper with about 6 boxes of Stove Top stuffing, a giant box of store brand instant mashed potatoes, and about a dozen canned vegetables. I know some people like the stuff, but I'm glad I'm not going to her place for Thanksgiving.

My Thanksgiving plate consists of:
White meat turkey w/gravy
Mashed potatoes w/gravy
Roll with butter

This year, I decided to bring a pie, so that there is at least one dessert option I will eat. With all the Village Inn commercials, I was inspired to check out their varieties and found the Caramel Pecan Silk Supreme.:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter