Spinoff thread: American and Italian culture Q and A thread.

@valval - for the Christmas holidays, does your family do the Feast of the 7 Fishes? Was wondering if that was an old school Italian tradition brought to America and does it exist in Italy?
Ahahah! I just found out about the 7 Fishes watching The Bear! I had no idea what they were talking about 😅
We (in the Bologna area) don't have any tradition like that, maybe it's a Southern thing? I know people from the south eat fish on Christmas Eve, but we don't even do that.

Ahahah! I just found out about the 7 Fishes watching The Bear! I had no idea what they were talking about 😅
We (in the Bologna area) don't have any tradition like that, maybe it's a Southern thing? I know people from the south eat fish on Christmas Eve, but we don't even do that.
It’s very much a thing here in the nyc metro area. Unfortunately me, my grandparents/great grandparents were from Ireland/Scotland/Germany, our tradition was sauerbraten on Christmas Day.

The link I posted above said the 12 dish version is mostly a Southern Italian tradition. The 7 dish version is an American thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

What do you have during the holiday season or what is common in the Northern region of Italy?

@valval , do you do anything in particular for Halloween or American Thanksgiving since your spouse is an American? Also have you been to in the past or have seen on TV the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?

@valval , do you do anything in particular for Halloween or American Thanksgiving since your spouse is an American? Also have you been to in the past or have seen on TV the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
We tend to cook regular Thanksgiving dinner - finding all the ingredients is a crazy task, so we don't go that big on it. Plus, Thanksgiving is not a holiday here, therefore we cannot go all the way, but we make sure to have at least a turkey roll, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. Cranberry sauce is super hard to find (as well as cranberries), so we don't always have it. That's our usual spread.
I used to stream the Macy's parade while working, back in the day, but it got harder to find a stable and good quality live-stream.
This year I will be in the USA for Thanksgiving, therefore it will be truly a special one! And we already arranged to do Friendsgiving with some Italian friends as soon as we are back as well. Looking forward to new traditions!

We tend to cook regular Thanksgiving dinner - finding all the ingredients is a crazy task, so we don't go that big on it. Plus, Thanksgiving is not a holiday here, therefore we cannot go all the way, but we make sure to have at least a turkey roll, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. Cranberry sauce is super hard to find (as well as cranberries), so we don't always have it. That's our usual spread.
I used to stream the Macy's parade while working, back in the day, but it got harder to find a stable and good quality live-stream.
This year I will be in the USA for Thanksgiving, therefore it will be truly a special one! And we already arranged to do Friendsgiving with some Italian friends as soon as we are back as well. Looking forward to new traditions!
If you can access an IKEA, their lingonberry jam is a pretty good substitute.

https://sugarspunrun.com/homemade-cranberry-sauce/

Does Italy have an Italy NBC Universal tv channel?

https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/a28714523/watch-macys-thanksgiving-day-parade/

https://www.housebeautiful.com/entertaining/holidays-celebrations/g4664/thanksgiving-quotes/

https://www.housebeautiful.com/entertaining/holidays-celebrations/g2647/thanksgiving-decorations/

Also, do you have Charlie Brown specials in Italy?

Last edited:
@valval , do Italians have any holidays in November? I hope you enjoy your first American Thanksgiving in the USA. Feel free to look at my Thanksgiving Day thread if you want any more advice or recipes ideas for the holiday. :-)

@valval , do Italians have any holidays in November? I hope you enjoy your first American Thanksgiving in the USA. Feel free to look at my Thanksgiving Day thread if you want any more advice or recipes ideas for the holiday. :-)
Hey! Italians have 1st of November (all Saints) as a holiday. It's actually cool for kids and young adults to celebrate Halloween and get a day off! This year, schools were closed from Wed on, like a small autumn break. As far as I know, Disneyland Paris was floaded with Italians this weekend 😄

Hey! Italians have 1st of November (all Saints) as a holiday. It's actually cool for kids and young adults to celebrate Halloween and get a day off! This year, schools were closed from Wed on, like a small autumn break. As far as I know, Disneyland Paris was floaded with Italians this weekend 😄
Spero che vi godrete il vostro primo Ringraziamento negli Stati Uniti. Cosa aspetti con più ansia dalla prossima settimana di vacanze? Cibo, intrattenimento (spettacolo di Macy's, sport, esposizione canina nazionale), trascorrere del tempo con la famiglia o semplicemente godersi una vacanza nel paese di origine? O qualcos'altro forse? Come viene percepito in generale il Ringraziamento americano in Italia? So che hai detto che i tuoi vicini italiani l'hanno trovata interessante, ma secondo la tua esperienza, gli italiani conoscerebbero la storia dietro la festività e anche la Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade è ben nota? Grazie per tutte le risposte finora nel thread. Trascorri una vacanza meravigliosa.

So pretty much Jersey week in Disneyland Paris! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter