Spinoff: What do you remember about your first time taking your kids to Disney?

March 1999, DD was 5 1/2. DH had a conference in Orlando, but we hadn't planned on him attending. However, he was talked into it by a few friends from grad school, folks we hadn't seen in 5+ years. About a month before going, my sister, BIL, and niece (just 1 yo) decided to come along. We stayed in a 2br villa at Residence Inn. Sis, BIL, Niece, DD, and I went to the parks (MK, Epcot, DHS) while DH went to his conference (he did join us on a couple of days... an afternoon at Epcot, and a full day-our second- at MK). We were in the parks by 9am, left by 6pm. We didn't do one evening show, saw no fireworks, only had one ADR (Crystal Palace), didn't have a real plan and truly no idea of what we were doing. The only planning I'd done was to read the Unofficial Guide, so I knew that it was important to pick certain parks on certain days, and remember that sometime it made more sense to bypass a ride we were walking by to come back later in the day when, sure enough, the line was shorter. Every night after leaving the parks, we'd drop DD, niece, and BIL at the hotel to meet DH. The guys would feed the girls and start baths while my sister and I went to Goodings to pick up heat-n-eat meals, or we'd do take out from a local restaurant. No real park plans, no ADRs, and in those days there were no add-on parties and experiences. We flew by the seat of our pants, mostly, and WE HAD THE BEST TIME. DD and I were hooked; we've been on about 30 trips since then. Honestly, I have lost count, but I remember that first novice/newbie trip fondly... we had a great time, didn't worry about what we were missing, just had a great time with our girls!

I don't have any kids of my own but have had the pleasure of introducing 3 nieces and a nephew to Disney. The first was my niece, S who is 14 now. She was 2 and a half at the time. My sister L went with us. We couldn't believe how good my niece was. She loved the trip and didn't ask for her parents once. I have taken her back several times since then. Sometimes just the 2 of us and some times with other family members, but not her parents. They just don't care to go. The next niece, N was 12 and I took her as a 6th grade graduation gift. She cried the whole week It was her first time away from her parents and older siblings and she was so homesick. On top of that she came down with a sinus infection. She is now grown and has 2 kids and hasn't been back, The other niece and nephew went as a family affair. My sister, K decided her kids were old enough and wanted their Disney loving aunts to experience their first trip with them. So it was my sister K her husband M and their 2 kids, A & J my other 2 sisters, L & D, niece S and me. The kids were 3, 5 & 7. The adults out numbered the kids. The A & J had been asking to back so last year my sisters L & D and I took them back and left their parents at home! Now they are talking about wanting to go on a Disney cruise! I told them that are old enough now to save some money to help pay for it since as of next week they will both be considered Disney adults.

We took our first daughter when she was 9 months old(although she was a honeymoon surprise) I have two pictures that stand out for me during that trip and I think about them all the time. The first one is my daughter and Mary Poppins. My daughter just fell in love with Mary Poppins. The second pic is just me carrying my daughter while she sleeps. We had to leave 50’s prime time because she was cranky and really needed a nap. As soon as I put her in my arms and started singing the background music she fell asleep. Now my plans may have been changed because I didn’t get dinner but I had this time where I just got to cuddle my daughter at Disney and listen to background music. It was a moment that made me confirm that becoming a mother truly was my dream in life. I will never forget these moments

We took our daughter for the first time when she was 7 months old ( she just turned 32)
We were in Japan in EPCOT and Minnie Mouse came and took the stroller from me and was pushing her around the Japan Courtyard.
Our son was 5 months old his first visit, he was wearing a cute yellow onesie and some man said "What a beautiful little girl."
My husband said "throw that onsie away". LOL
Lol. DS’ first trip was at 7 mos (he’s still only 21 mos 😊). I loved taking pics of him in all our favorite places. He’s always been such a happy boy so I have some priceless pics. He got his first set of mouse ears & his first ballon. Looking forward to many more memories. He’s already been 2 more times since then & we are going back at the end of this month.

Lol. DS’ first trip was at 7 mos (he’s still only 21 mos 😊). I loved taking pics of him in all our favorite places. He’s always been such a happy boy so I have some priceless pics. He got his first set of mouse ears & his first ballon. Looking forward to many more memories. He’s already been 2 more times since then & we are going back at the end of this month.

We now have the joy of taking grandchildren, its amazing all over again!

Have a wonderful time.

Both kids were 4 on their first trip. Still needing to go back to the hotel for a few hours for naps in the afternoon. So what I remember is I thought was a huge waste of money given what Disney costs. But until kids, we were the type to be in the park at 630 am, and staying until 1 am, with early admission back when Disneyland was still open until 1 am.
My first trip I was 8, my wife was 10. I don't think I will be taking my Granddaughter to Disney before she is 8. And she better be ready to eat drink and live Disney for the entire day.

My first trip I was 8, my wife was 10. I don't think I will be taking my Granddaughter to Disney before she is 8. And she better be ready to eat drink and live Disney for the entire day.
I have two little nieces who live far away and I'd love for my brother to bring them to visit and go to Disney with us. He is not one to want to "waste" money, though, so I think I'm going to follow your lead and encourage him to wait until they're both able to get their money's worth.

Disneyland, Christmas Eve 2001 - DS 4.5, DD 2.5. We live back East but were out in California, where I grew up, visiting family for the holidays. We did all the little kid rides - Small World, Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, Snow White, Autopia, etc. But what I really remember are two things:

1) The two kids meeting Minnie, who was all dressed up in a Christmas outfit and just walking around Main Street. Their faces were priceless!

2) Coming out of Adventureland or Frontierland into the hub in front of Sleeping Beauty’s castle right at dusk. The twinkle lights in the trees had just come on, and beautiful music was playing. It literally took my breath away. I remember thinking that if it could make an adult feel that awestruck, the kids must feel like they’re in heaven.

I remember driving into the park with my 1.5 year old daughter pointing to the road signs that have the ears and saying "EE" (which was her word for Mickey. I remember being proud that she recognized something that was a bit abstract. I also remember thinking she would be scared of the characters. However, it was a cool morning in December with no one around (never happens now) in HS and Mickey came out and she went running over for a big hug. We captured it on camera and it is displayed right by my bed - perhaps my favorite picture ever.

My son went as a baby, so it is hard to specifically remember his first awareness, but there are just constant memories. Like when he was big enough to ride Big Thunder (he was quite young as he has always been tall for his age and likes thrills) and he felt he needed to scream when everyone else did. It was a quiet, forced, not scared scream that had his Mom and I in tears laughing. He wanted to ride again and again.

So many 'magical moments' like when my kids were younger (6 and 4? maybe) and just held hands walking in the MK without prompting. They have never fought much, but still, it was the only time we really saw that.

My wife and I have always loved Disney World, but it is amazing how the enjoyment changes somewhat when you have kids. The things you enjoy as non-parents are still there but it opens up a whole new level to see your kids having fun. Things like the boneyard that you would never even consider, all of a sudden now have great nostalgic memories for us. Disney had done many things that drive us crazy, but I think that nostalgia and new memories with the kids are hard to beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter