Spinoff: What Street Did You Grow Up On?

I'll see your gravel road and raise you a DIRT road. It was aptly named "The Old Dirt Road," though there was no sign.
Signs? We don’t need no stinking signs...:laughing: To this day, navigation/directions in the area where I grew up depends almost completely on landmarks, some of which are pretty obscure. About 30’ish years ago the Alberta government assigned a global-positioning number to (theoretically) every inhabited rural property in the province, including putting up a sign on the most prominent entrance to each. It was intended to make emergency response access more efficient by GPS.
1693572579396.jpeg

Signs? We don’t need no stinking signs...:laughing: To this day, navigation/directions in the area where I grew up depends almost completely on landmarks, some of which are pretty obscure. About 30’ish years ago the Alberta government assigned a global-positioning number to (theoretically) every inhabited rural property in the province, including putting up a sign on the most prominent entrance to each. It was intended to make emergency response access more efficient by GPS.
View attachment 789952
Ha ha!!! Yeah...we were 20 minutes outside the city (almost always give directions in terms of travel time!) and then 1 mile east and 4 miles north of the service station...second farm on the right...big white barn. The service station was the "sign." Those were the actual directions we gave people.

Ha ha!!! Yeah...we were 20 minutes outside the city (almost always give directions in terms of travel time!) and then 1 mile east and 4 miles north of the service station...second farm on the right...big white barn. The service station was the "sign." Those were the actual directions we gave people.
Yes, all of this, EXACTLY. :thumbsup2 To get to our place it was 20 miles straight out of town, heading east at the Esso corner. If you passed the cemetery, you’ve gone too far.

As a kid, a street. As a teen, my family moved to a new suburban subdivision where all the street names had pretentious suffixes. We lived on XXX Ridge. There were also Hill, Crescent, Trail, and English Ivyway.

In college my dorm address was Bradford Hall.

After college, a road, and two streets.

Grew up on a Place -street name was that of a Famous WWII - B25 Bomber Pilot - who's plane had Donald Duck with crutches and wearing pilot's headphones painted on it.

First owned house was on a Street with the name of a Town Park

Current house is Avenue sharing the name of a track that has hosted NASCAR Cup Series races every year since the division's inception in 1949. (track length at .526 miles)

Gravel roads in remote, northern Alberta don't have names. :rolleyes1
Similar for us in Delaware. Used to have a fair bit of dirt roads and they didn't have names, they had numbers.
RR#123, Box abc was our address for a long time! RR stands for 'rural route'. I think they changed everything over for 911 purposes 10-15 years ago.

First 12 years of my life in NJ we lived on a dead end road.

Gravel roads in remote, northern Alberta don't have names. :rolleyes1

I currently live on an Avenue and in a few weeks am moving to a Blvd. Over the years I've lived on several different Avenues, a Place, a Close, and a Lane.
Oooh, a Close. That’s a good one.

A hollow, or as most people say where I grew up in the south, a holler.

ETA: It's was officially named a road, but no one used the road name.

I’m not quite sure what a hallow is, although I’ve heard the term. Is it a flat piece of land along winding mountain roads?

Saint, Saint, Street, Street, Avenue, Road, Street
Never heard of Saint as a description for a road.

As a kid, a street. As a teen, my family moved to a new suburban subdivision where all the street names had pretentious suffixes. We lived on XXX Ridge. There were also Hill, Crescent, Trail, and English Ivyway.

In college my dorm address was Bradford Hall.

After college, a road, and two streets.
My neighborhood also has a Ridge.

Similar for us in Delaware. Used to have a fair bit of dirt roads and they didn't have names, they had numbers.
RR#123, Box abc was our address for a long time! RR stands for 'rural route'. I think they changed everything over for 911 purposes 10-15 years ago.

First 12 years of my life in NJ we lived on a dead end road.

Yep, rural Delaware has plenty of undistinguished numbered roads, some gravel or dirt. Not main Routes designations, but just numbers.

Road 263 in the middle of nowhere.

Oooh, a Close. That’s a good one.

I’m not quite sure what a hallow is, although I’ve heard the term. Is it a flat piece of land along winding mountain roads?

Never heard of Saint as a description for a road.

My neighborhood also has a Ridge.
That's a fairly accurate description. We lived in a valley surrounded by mountains, with only my adult sisters as neighbors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter