• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spirit Airlines- Extra Seat?

When these passengers were approached were they offered a refund of the fares they paid for the seats? If not, why on God's green earth would they give them up?

I'm sure they were, because I can't see a flight attendant trying if they didn't have a carrot. But both would be a big fat nope if it had been me, no matter what they were offering.

I'm sure they were, because I can't see a flight attendant trying if they didn't have a carrot. But both would be a big fat nope if it had been me, no matter what they were offering.

Glad you wouldn't take Spirit's abuse. I really feel bad for their employees. After seeing how poorly they treat their customers I can only imagine how management treats the employees.

Glad you wouldn't take Spirit's abuse. I really feel bad for their employees. After seeing how poorly they treat their customers I can only imagine how management treats the employees.

I don't believe you can judge working for a company by their customer service. 2 different things. I've worked for company that had great benefits but kept its prices down because they didn't provide any frills customer service wise. In the case of the customer service, well, I don't actually feel that sorry for customers who get screwed by spirit. It's like being surprised when greyhound screws you. You know going into it that spirit is a discount carrier, and that you get what you pay for. It's when airlines like United or Delta pull crap like overselling flights that I get mad.

Last flight (pretty sure it was United) I found out that they had even stopped doing inflight entertainment in favor of selling directv. Not a huge deal, but still. And at the same time they don't enforce carryon limits so the flight attendant got upset when it took me a little longer to find a spot for my computer bag- which there was NO way I was going to check that. I saw some of the biggest carryons on that flight, and, on a side note, I just have a really hard time believing that EACH of your toddlers need their very own hardside carryon. I get passengers not wanting to check bags, but the airlines have got to figure out away to make room for everyone or enforce it equally.

When these passengers were approached were they offered a refund of the fares they paid for the seats? If not, why on God's green earth would they give them up?

No they were not offered anything, no refund ...nothing... They just put it to her like she had to, no choice and they both stood their ground.

No they were not offered anything, no refund ...nothing... They just put it to her like she had to, no choice and they both stood their ground.
:furious: Entirely unacceptable. Under those circumstances even simply having been asked would have made me mad. I'd be on the phone to corporate as soon as the flight ended.

I've read and heard so many dreadful stories about various airlines but have never personally had a bad experience. Every time I book I flight I wonder if my luck's running out... :rolleyes1

A girlfriend paid for a extra seat for her wedding dress. They did ask her if she would give up her extra seat for stand by, its not extra I paid for it, so no...

Another friend paid for her infant to have a seat, they tried to force her to hold her and she was like no I paid for it, so no way and I'm not giving up the seat.

They could have put themselves in a liability situation with the infant. If they asked her the hold the baby even though she purchased a seat and then something happened to the baby (like ejected during turbulence), that would be a huge legal mess.

I have no experience with spirit airlines so really can't say anything negative. But I just have to say, a spirit pilot and his wife ODed on fentanyl at their home a week ago. It happened near me and has been in the local news. Their 3 kids found them dead.

I have no experience with spirit airlines so really can't say anything negative. But I just have to say, a spirit pilot and his wife ODed on fentanyl at their home a week ago. It happened near me and has been in the local news. Their 3 kids found them dead.

And that is the most depressing and unnecessary post on this thread. Congratulations.

We have reservations for four on Friday for a non-stop flight to Florida. My high school age daughter has decided not to go on the trip due to school exams. The flight only cost 98 bucks total and it's a 90.00 fee to change the ticket---so it's not worth it. We'd love to just take advantage of her empty seat (which right now is a booked middle seat between me and her sister) for more space since we've paid for it. How can we assure they just don't count her as a "no show" and fill the seat with a stand-by passenger?

So what ended up happening?

Last flight (pretty sure it was United) I found out that they had even stopped doing inflight entertainment in favor of selling directv. Not a huge deal, but still. And at the same time they don't enforce carryon limits so the flight attendant got upset when it took me a little longer to find a spot for my computer bag- which there was NO way I was going to check that. I saw some of the biggest carryons on that flight, and, on a side note, I just have a really hard time believing that EACH of your toddlers need their very own hardside carryon. I get passengers not wanting to check bags, but the airlines have got to figure out away to make room for everyone or enforce it equally.

Ugh! The whole carry on issue just kills me. It's a huge reason why I now book exclusively Delta Comfort+ (dedicated carry on bins) or JetBlue Even More Space (first to board the plane after veterans and Mosaics) seats. I had a horrible experience with American Airlines trying to tell me I needed to gate check my small, soft duffel after 1) I paid for early boarding for the express reason of wanting early access to overhead bins and they decided to just start letting people on the plane and not board by proper zone 2) They let multiple people with 3-4 bags a piece ahead of me. I absolutely hate that I have to play by airlines' kind of insane rules (high checked bag fees, etc.) in order to store my carry-on in the overhead bin, but it's worth it for the "guarantee" and peace of mind.

After that aforementioned incident, in which AA gate agents were incredibly rude and used profanities at me, I officially boycotted them for life and decreed my Delta C+/JetBlue EMS exclusivity clause. Regardless of price or flight times. I make it work with one of these airlines when I travel for pleasure or business. Not worth the angst of the unknown.

Sorry for the tangent, OP!! I'd love to hear if you were able to keep that middle seat!

Last edited:

It's when airlines like United or Delta pull crap like overselling flights that I get mad.'..

This was not United. They have several inflight entertainment options and most flights don't even have Direct TV. They are also pretty strict on carry on size, although I'm not sure why you are so upset that a ticketed passenger has a carry on, no matter their age.

BTW, almost all US airlines oversell. I think the only one which doesn't is JetBlue.

They are also pretty strict on carry on size, although I'm not sure why you are so upset that a ticketed passenger has a carry on, no matter their age.

I agree on the age point. My kids wear just as much clothing as everyone else so why shouldn't they get the full baggage allowance (not more, just the same). We took the family to Alaska for 1 1/2 weeks with only carry-ons (I didn't want to pay the luggage fees) so I made it a point to pack smartly and cram everything in. We used all of our carry-on allowance, yes, but I paid just as much for my kids' seats as the adults'. (We did have to gate check on one flight because the plane didn't hold the bags, but that was expected and no charge, so no problem.)

Ugh! The whole carry on issue just kills me. It's a huge reason why I now book exclusively Delta Comfort+ (dedicated carry on bins) or JetBlue Even More Space (first to board the plane after veterans and Mosaics) seats. I had a horrible experience with American Airlines trying to tell me I needed to gate check my small, soft duffel after 1) I paid for early boarding for the express reason of wanting early access to overhead bins and they decided to just start letting people on the plane and not board by proper zone 2) They let multiple people with 3-4 bags a piece ahead of me. I absolutely hate that I have to play by airlines' kind of insane rules (high checked bag fees, etc.) in order to store my carry-on in the overhead bin, but it's worth it for the "guarantee" and peace of mind.

After that aforementioned incident, in which AA gate agents were incredibly rude and used profanities at me, I officially boycotted them for life and decreed my Delta C+/JetBlue EMS exclusivity clause. Regardless of price or flight times. I make it work with one of these airlines when I travel for pleasure or business. Not worth the angst of the unknown.

Sorry for the tangent, OP!! I'd love to hear if you were able to keep that middle seat!

This is why I like Southwest, especially with going to Disney. I can just check my bag(s) and DME will pick them up for me so all I bring on is a bag that can fit under the seat.

This is why I like Southwest, especially with going to Disney. I can just check my bag(s) and DME will pick them up for me so all I bring on is a bag that can fit under the seat.

We check pretty well everything when we fly with Southwest too. We each have a backpack for snacks, electronics, and such, and then we have a single hard sided carry on with a spare set of clothes, pjs, and swimsuits each. We have flown with United and AA, but we found the constant change of the flight schedule, baggage fees, and the fight for carry on room to be a bit much for us.

I also love southwest! checking into your flight at a Disney hotel saves so much time!

This is actually one of the reasons I like Spirit. They charge for carry-ons that need to be stowed overhead. I believe it is the same price as for checked bags. It makes for quicker, less stressful boarding when everyone doesn't have to fight for space. We always check our bags and just bring carry-ons that fit under the seat.

This is actually one of the reasons I like Spirit. They charge for carry-ons that need to be stowed overhead. I believe it is the same price as for checked bags. It makes for quicker, less stressful boarding when everyone doesn't have to fight for space. We always check our bags and just bring carry-ons that fit under the seat.
~
It's slightly less expensive for checked bags. The free carry ons are called "personal items"

My problem with Spirit is that, to me, it's not that much cheaper than Southwest. For my trip in Sept my Southwest fare is ~$270 RT, on Spirit it's ~$150 which at first looks like significant savings but then I have to do the add ons. I want a bag so that's another $20 and then I want to not sit in terrible seat so I think that's another $10. So now I'm saving less than $100 and I'm going to have to deal with seats that have less room and schedules that aren't as good.

I'm glad Spirit works for you, I think they get more hate because people go into it without understanding how Spirit works. For me, I much prefer paying a bit more to get the experience I get with Southwest even if it is only a ~90 min flight.

I had a similar situation and I will tell you how it worked out for me.

I bought tickets to Hawaii from the east coast on Priceline, name your own price. My son decided not to go. I checked the whole family in, I gave the gate agent all our boarding passes at one time (3 passes, 2 people) , and we walked onto the plane. One only 1 of 6 flights did an attendant on the plane ever ask where that person was. I don't expect that is how it is supposed to work, but that is how did it did work for us. One the one that was questioned we explained our son was not able to come and we did like the extra seat. She said we couldn't do that. (and that even if we paid for the seat, if he wasn't there it wasn't our seat.) It worked out though because a family wanted a row of 3 to sit with their kid, so she switched us to 2 across, they took our 3 across.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter