• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SPIRIT Airlines

mouserrificmom

DIS Veteran
Yikes.....watching the news is TOTALLY freaking me out. I have never flown Spirit before, and we booked it this time because the rates were good - and from Philadelpha it's such a short flight I wasn't worried about the no frills.....we are scheduled to fly out on Sunday the 8th - looks like they have consolidated and then cancelled every flight between PHL and MCO since this fiasco started on Sunday. We have a Beaches and Cream reservation on our arrival day (4 hours after landing) and I am seriously stressing right now.......we have had flight delays before on other airlines, but never a cancellation. What happens if our flight is just downright cancelled?!

I would start looking now and making sure you have a back up. A friend of mine recently flew JetBlue and on his flight there were quite a few people from Spirit and Frontier who were able to grab that flight because they looked ahead of time prior to the cancellations.

Best of luck and safe travels!

I would start looking now and making sure you have a back up. A friend of mine recently flew JetBlue and on his flight there were quite a few people from Spirit and Frontier who were able to grab that flight because they looked ahead of time prior to the cancellations.

Best of luck and safe travels!

I have been scounting around.......but all the flights I have found are upwards of $ 275 per person each way......I just can't add another 1600 to our budget now .......

I have been scounting around.......but all the flights I have found are upwards of $ 275 per person each way......I just can't add another 1600 to our budget now .......
HOLY CANOLI BATMAN! I would also recommend calling and explaining the situation. My concern would be returning home especially since rental cars are in short supply. Online chats also work great!

In terms of the beaches and cream reservation, try modifying on the app. I would also call the restaurant and explain the situation.

The low cost carriers are great until they are not. They do not handle IROPS(IRegular OPerations) well at all.

This melt down seems to be partially weather related. Bad weather in several places kept their planes and crews in the wrong places and often times not in the same places. American suffered the same problems but was able to recover quicker because their business model allows for better IROPS.

The low cost carriers tend to not have extra planes or crews sitting around doing nothing waiting for IROPS. All the planes and all the crews are scheduled and working all the time. There is no excess capacity to use during recovery.

The low cost carriers are more likely to have limited service to an airport, it might only be serviced a couple days a week so recovery takes much longer than if serviced daily or multiple times a day.

Plus it sounds like the pilots may be performing an informal "strike" working exactly to contract which may be making the current situation worse.

Good luck.

Yikes.....watching the news is TOTALLY freaking me out. I have never flown Spirit before, and we booked it this time because the rates were good - and from Philadelpha it's such a short flight I wasn't worried about the no frills.....we are scheduled to fly out on Sunday the 8th - looks like they have consolidated and then cancelled every flight between PHL and MCO since this fiasco started on Sunday. We have a Beaches and Cream reservation on our arrival day (4 hours after landing) and I am seriously stressing right now.......we have had flight delays before on other airlines, but never a cancellation. What happens if our flight is just downright cancelled?!
We’re scheduled to fly Spirit out of AC on Saturday. It’s the only flight that’s back to leaving again. I did however, book a backup flight with jet blue out of Newark at 3 times the price because I had to purchase refundable tickets.

We’re scheduled to fly Spirit out of AC on Saturday. It’s the only flight that’s back to leaving again. I did however, book a backup flight with jet blue out of Newark at 3 times the price because I had to purchase refundable tickets.

How do you know it's back to leaving again? I have been trying to use flightaware and flighttracker to get information about Sunday's flight but can't find anything ...... they are still selling seats on my flight on the Spirit Website which I think is TERRIBLE if it's ultimate fate is a cancellation. It's also concerning to me that it appears there are 6 flights I can purchase from PHL to MCO through their website for Sunday, but I can only find information for ONE flight existing on the route the past several days and each of them have been cancelled.....as of right now, it appears there is one flight scheduled to leave on Friday evening......I cannot see anything for Saturday or Sunday.

I am hoping that by the time we are ready to return things will be better......seriously just considering getting in the car and driving at this point. It would completly stink, but I have tires that are just a week old and a fresh oil change.......the drive home would be the pits though.

HOLY CANOLI BATMAN! I would also recommend calling and explaining the situation. My concern would be returning home especially since rental cars are in short supply. Online chats also work great!

In terms of the beaches and cream reservation, try modifying on the app. I would also call the restaurant and explain the situation.
I thought of that....but it appears wait times for calls are in the double digits for hourly hold........

How do you know it's back to leaving again? I have been trying to use flightaware and flighttracker to get information about Sunday's flight but can't find anything ...... they are still selling seats on my flight on the Spirit Website which I think is TERRIBLE if it's ultimate fate is a cancellation. It's also concerning to me that it appears there are 6 flights I can purchase from PHL to MCO through their website for Sunday, but I can only find information for ONE flight existing on the route the past several days and each of them have been cancelled.....as of right now, it appears there is one flight scheduled to leave on Friday evening......I cannot see anything for Saturday or Sunday.

I am hoping that by the time we are ready to return things will be better......seriously just considering getting in the car and driving at this point. It would completly stink, but I have tires that are just a week old and a fresh oil change.......the drive home would be the pits though.
I don’t think they track that far out. I just check daily and monitor the status through flight aware and the spirit app. You can also see where the plane is coming from on flightaware to see if it took off on time. I’m worried about my return flight. It’s been cancelled a lot

We are in the same situation, but our flight is a little later in the month August 18 @ 6:00am from PHL. right now we are exploring all the options. All the local airports to us (PHL, ERW, ACY) have spirit and almost all of their flights have been canceled this entire week. I'm nervous, but don't want to buy extra tickets just in case. If I could I would love to cancel my flights and rebook with another airlines. Now DH is talking about driving from NJ. 😬🙄

We are in the same situation, but our flight is a little later in the month August 18 @ 6:00am from PHL. right now we are exploring all the options. All the local airports to us (PHL, ERW, ACY) have spirit and almost all of their flights have been canceled this entire week. I'm nervous, but don't want to buy extra tickets just in case. If I could I would love to cancel my flights and rebook with another airlines. Now DH is talking about driving from NJ. 😬🙄
It's so nerve wracking! I have been looking at one way flights too hoping that by next week things will be recovered. It looks like they are trying to consolidate flights to get all the grounded people where they need to be to be able to reestablish the flights, but there are SO many flights scheduled on Sunday....it looks like tomorrow and Saturday have both been cut to two flights (at least from what you can actually book on their website right now) .... so I am hoping that there is a chance that Sunday's flights will be consolidated into just 2 and that I can get on one of them. I am honestly thinking of driving and making it fun - given the current conidtions wtih the Delta Variant maybe that's the smart thing to do anyway? I think GETTING there would be fun, Yacht Club or BUST.....but the ride home.....my oh my that would be dreadful......

I actually had this happen to me in April, on Spirit. (Insert whole story) but we couldn't get another flight out of Orlando until days later.
Had a credit to use on Spirit so we booked our upcoming trip. It appears it may happen again.
We considered not going but at this point we have a hefty amount wrapped up in non-refundable charges to just walk away.

We had our Spirit flight cancelled on us a few weeks ago. We were at the airport (PHL) for an evening boarding and they kept delaying until they finally came on and just announced that it was cancelled. We knew we wouldn’t get a flight for days so we got in the car at 11:00 pm at the airport and drove. Sucked but better than going home. We are scehduled to come down on Sept 30th for a long weekend for the 50th. It will be too short of at trip this time to drive so I’m really hoping things are better by then. Won’t be booking with Spirit anymore though.

AirlineIdentAircraftStatusDepartureArrival
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS753A321Scheduled (in 23 hours 28 minutes)Fri 08:59PM EDT11:37PM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS309A321Scheduled (in 12 hours 37 minutes)Fri 10:08AM EDT12:46PM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS1095A320Scheduled (in 8 hours 29 minutes)Fri 06:00AM EDT08:31AM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS753A321CancelledThu 08:59PM EDT11:37PM EDT Thu
You're looking good so far. I'd keep an eye on that 6 am flight tomorrow to see if it actually takes off.
We're flying out of CLE on Tues and all those Spirit flights have been canceled so far. Even for tomorrow. I am checking flightaware non stop!

AirlineIdentAircraftStatusDepartureArrival
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS753A321Scheduled (in 23 hours 28 minutes)Fri 08:59PM EDT11:37PM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS309A321Scheduled (in 12 hours 37 minutes)Fri 10:08AM EDT12:46PM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS1095A320Scheduled (in 8 hours 29 minutes)Fri 06:00AM EDT08:31AM EDT Fri
logoAltText
Spirit
NKS753A321CancelledThu 08:59PM EDT11:37PM EDT Thu
You're looking good so far. I'd keep an eye on that 6 am flight tomorrow to see if it actually takes off.
We're flying out of CLE on Tues and all those Spirit flights have been canceled so far. Even for tomorrow. I am checking flightaware non stop!
Me TOO! I did not even know this thing existed before today. . . . I am eager to see what tomorrow looks like and there are currently plenty of airborne Spirit flights, so I am hopeful.....but I am thinking about all of those dispalced passengers they still have to get to their point Bs and I panic all over again......

They just cancelled the Friday morning flight out of AC. ( Our flight on Saturday.) I think I’m just going to go with our backup flight with JetBlue. Even if Saturdays flight is on. I’m afraid to get stuck in Orlando.

Saturday morning flight for me. It’s currently still scheduled, but I’ve been checking nonstop all day. I found a backup flight on United and plan to jump on it instantly if mine is canceled (good thing I still work from home and can check my phone a million times a day), but it’s super frustrating to not know. I just keep telling myself that it’s all good unless the flight is canceled last minute.

I was on FlightAware checking to see how on-time my Delta flight will be in two weeks and ended up looking at all flights between Boston and Orlando and was stunned at the number of cancelled Spirit flights. I looked it up and they are saying that it's all weather related. I've been tempted by Spirit flights in the past but my sister in law had a bad experience a few years ago and I've never pulled the trigger. I hope they get back on track and nobody's plans are disrupted!!

Friday's 6 a.m flight out of Philly was cancelled overnight - the other's are all still "scheduled" - but if you read the news about this week with Spirit, it seems like they are cancelling moments before flights. I have never booked with Spirit before.....don't think I ever will again! I have been scanning flight trackers and other airlines for price changes non stop - even looked at amtrak but they are fully booked. This trip has already been cancelled/postponed 3x due to covid......I think the universese is trying to tell me something and I just can't accept it.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter