• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spirit of Aloha Dinner? Good?

ShannShann

Mouseketeer
The 3 of us (me, hubby & 8 year old daughter) are considering booking this luau dinner. Would you recommend it??

Thank you sooo much!

Our Ratings of Luau: (*rev 01/22/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: C (performance)

NOTE: The Luau is a play upon the traditional Hawaiian or Pacific luau. However, the "play"
is silly at best and sub-par when compared to any authentic luau. If you never plan upon
attending a true luau, then this would suffice. If you have done a real luau or will in the
future, leave this unattended. As for the food: salad was OK - bread was OK - chicken
sub-average - ribs were good - rice and veggies were flavorless. Overall, not worth the
cash price or 2-TS coupons.

We agree... Did it once.... never to return....

Hoop Dee Doo Revue....dinner show, we've done over 15 times... shows where the live is...

It was just an OK experience for us. The food and the show was not horrible but to do it again? Nope. To experience any (Aloha or Hoop dee Doo) dinner show once is enough.

I've seen it once and probably won't go back. The food was okay but not great, some of it wasn't very hot and the meat was on the dry side. The show was mostly pretty boring other than the fire dancing - the rest of it was vaguely reminiscent of High School Musical to me. :lmao:

I agree with previous posters. We have gone twice. The first was really nice and our family had a really fun time. So....we decided to go back. Worst experience. The tables were so tight together, people next to us let their kids run down to the beach I'm the sand, and then empty their shoes by our table, our view was blocked by a pole, the show is very cheesy. The food was just ok. Very dry. We have skipped it since then.

We do it every year since our honeymoon there. I've been hojbv since the eighties. The show has changed but its still fun. The beer keeps coming. The foods good. Try it.

We did this last Feb and our thoughts were:
-It was cold, and we definitely left right as the show was ending, kinda snuck out, because of that, but that was the time of year
-Service was amazing, friendly, quick, positive, happy and efficient
-Drinks offered included were meh, but chose to pay for a diff alcoholic drink instead that was worth it!
-Food was AMAZING! Seriously, ever bit from the bread, to the meats, veggies, potatoes, salad, noodles, and then the desserts! SO GOOD!!
-Show was just mediocre, it doesn't pick up til the 3rd "act" bit where the dancing and fire stuff really starts, luckily we knew this or we would've left after the desserts were served.
Would go again just for the food!

My DH saw the show about 10 years ago and we enjoyed it and had a great time. We always say we want to go back and do it again but never seem to book the reservation...

If you havent tried it I would say go for it.. it is a fun experience in my opinion

ShannShann said:
The 3 of us (me, hubby & 8 year old daughter) are considering booking this luau dinner. Would you recommend it??

Thank you sooo much!

We did it last Sept. It wasn't bad, the food was pretty decent and the show was ok. I def. would never say it's worth the money, and I don't really think we'd do it again just due to that, but it wasn't bad.

Once was enough. By the time the show was over, people and families were literally STAMPEDING to get out.

Food might be good for smaller kids with a blander palette. Two of the three acts consist of a cheezy stage show and no authentic dancing. But if you're curious, try it :) Just know what you're paying for before you go in.

..Oh, and prepare to sit at long tables smooshed in with everyone else.

Thank you sooo much!

Probably in the top 5 worst meals we've ever had at WDW. I post this all of the time, but we have found that there is an inverse relationship between the quality of food and amount of entertainment/atmosphere offered at WDW. The more entertainment/atmosphere offered, the worse the food is, and that especially holds true for this show.

We have only went to Spirit of Aloha once. We enjoyed the show. But we really didn't care for the food. I'm glad that we experienced this, but it is doubtful that we go again.

The show and environment is neat and we always liked doing it for a nostalgic feel and the show, but honestly, too many restaurant options blow the food at SOA out of the water. All of the signatures and a lot of the Epcot choices are far better than the food at SOA.

We did it a long time ago twice and that was enough. Definitely not a must do, like Hoop Dee Doo Revue is for us! I like a more fun atmosphere and great food and the Luau just doesn't bring to the table what HDDR does.

We did it a long time ago twice and that was enough. Definitely not a must do, like Hoop Dee Doo Revue is for us! I like a more fun atmosphere and great food and the Luau just doesn't bring to the table what HDDR does.

I too like the Hoop Dee Doo Revue's show more. The food is basic BBQ food, but the show is the most entertaining dinner show they offer :)

If you are specifically looking for a luau experience, try the Wantilan Luau at Universal's Royal Pacific Resort.

We thought the entertainment was quite good and the buffet was above average. They also offer a kids buffet.

The luau is offered only on Saturday nights.

My family of 4 did this a few years back and will never do it again. Horribly cheesy show and so not worth 2 table services.

Totally agree with many posters about Hoop Dee Doo. Would do that again in a heart beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter