Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show - Tell Me ABout It

ChattaAlley

DIS Veteran
We are tentatively planning on going to this dinner show. Is it worth it? We will be using two of our dining credits for this. Is the food/service good?

From what I have read and heard - those who are on the dining plan will not be placed on the bottom tier in the middle or close sides. They will be placed on the top tier or in the back. Is this true? That they allow those who pay directly when reserving the right to seat in the preferred seats.

That is not true - you don't get placed in the middle in front of the stage, but we were on the dining plan and were placed on the front side very close. There was only one couple between us and the stage. I think you have the option to choose the top tier if you want. I have heard that the earlier you make your reservation, the better seats you get, but I am not positive of this.

We find it well worth it. It is actually a great value per credit, as drinks and tips are included. The food is just ok, nothing really great, but not bad either. The dessert is really good. The show is really a lot of fun!

Yeah, like the PP said, the food is OK. Not great, I want a huge fan or anything. DH actually got food poisoning. :worried:

But the show makes it worth doing at least once. I really enjoyed that, especially the part where they feature dancers from a variety of Pacific Islands to showcase their traditional styles. We were not in the back, we were close-ish to the front, on DDP.

So, if you go in with reasonable expectations, it's well worth it. Don't expect amazing food, but do expect a good show!

FWIW, we enjoyed Hoop-De-Doo much more.

What are your other options? It's too hard to say whether it's worth it or not without knowing what it "costs" you.

If you could either do Spirit of Aloha (SoA0 or Hoop Dee Doo Review, the answer is no. It's not worth it...go do Hoop.
If you are either doing Spirit of Aloha (SoA) or Backyard BBQ, then yes....it is worth it.
If you have to choose between SoA or Ohana and Kona, then no...it is not worth it.

I agree with what the others said in regards to it's qualty, but no way to know whether that's worth it to you or not.

We have been to SOA a few times, but also prefer HDDR. We have only gone when staying at a MK resort, I don't think it would be worth the effort to travel to. That said, I do plan on going during our next trip this spring when we will be at the Poly. The food is okay, and the show is fun. My kids love the fire dance at the end.

We are tentatively planning on going to this dinner show. Is it worth it? We will be using two of our dining credits for this. Is the food/service good?

From what I have read and heard - those who are on the dining plan will not be placed on the bottom tier in the middle or close sides. They will be placed on the top tier or in the back. Is this true? That they allow those who pay directly when reserving the right to seat in the preferred seats.

We were on deluxe dining and were places front/center. But it was our honeymoon, so that may have been why.

The show is kind of like a Hawaiian version of "High School Musical" with a fire dancer. The fire dancer was the only thing that one would ordinarily see at a normal luau.

The food was mass produced. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. If you're a foodie, you might want to consider using those 2 table service credits on a signature dining experience instead of this.

We are going to both the luau and the hoop dee doo review. Since we're staying at Port Orleans Riverside, we are planning on going to both straight from a park, since I'm trying to avoid the transfers necessary to go from resort to resort.

I think it really depends - for both the luau and for hoop dee doo. I've done both - luau a very long time ago and hoop dee doo several times (the last time was January 2015.) We love an "event" and our kids are really into shows (they are all musical theater enthusiasts.) They are all for a fun show - even if it's super cheesy. One of our kids was a lead in a production of "High School Musical" a few years ago, so that's not a negative in our family. :) So I think it depends on your expectations and your group. We're going to the luau next month with extended family so we'll likely fill an entire table on our own, we're all silly, my parents and I are nostalgic about our previous experiences there, we don't expect a Broadway production and we don't expect the food to rival our experiences in NYC, for example. We travel to non-Disney locations frequently, so at Disney, we're all looking for fun, theming and a good cheesy Disney "event." By those standards, if the luau is anything like it was years ago, it will be great!

I think I am going to watch this thread. We are planning on stay at the poly in 2017 and are driving down from nj, so I was thinking this would be a good first night thing to see. My youngest loves to dance and watch people dance so he might get a kick out of it. We are also going to be on the DxDP

It's the only show we book every trip. HDDR every other (hokey pokey needs to go). MBBBQ every other. We enjoy the food and the cheesy show.

It's the only show we book every trip. HDDR every other (hokey pokey needs to go). MBBBQ every other. We enjoy the food and the cheesy show.

My kids loved MBBBQ when we went last year! When we go in 2017 the way our dining credits fall out we are actually able to do both the Luau and MBBBQ so my kids are already bouncing off the wall about the vacation lol

. . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: C (performance)
NOTE1: The Luau plays upon the traditional Hawaiian or Pacific luau. However, the "play"
is silly at best and sub-par when compared to any authentic luau. If you never plan upon
attending a true luau, then this would suffice. If you have done a real luau or will in the
future, leave this unattended. As for the food: salad was OK - bread was OK - chicken
sub-average - ribs were good - rice and veggies were flavorless. Overall, not worth the
cash price or 2-TS coupons. As for DDP, strictly financially speaking, it is better to pay
OOP than use two DDP-TD credits. If spending the money for Luau, you would be more
pleased at the Hoop-Dee-Do-Review in Fort Wilderness.
NOTE2: Having seen luaus in Hawaii, my daughter actually fell asleep at the Disney luau.

It was ok. Hoop-Dee-Do Review was much better in terms of show and enjoyment. Food was very similar (ok.)

We went once a few years ago. We absolutely detested the food. The show was fun. Comparing the two, Hoop Dee Do has much better food and we prefer the show and atmosphere there as well. We see Hoop Dee Doo during most of our yearly trips.

It is my friend who wants to go to this. I am on the fence especially now with the mixed reviews on here. She has an autistic child who I believe would really like and eats just about anything. So food quality isn't important to him just entertainment value. I on the other hand would like the food to taste good. We are on dining plan so we have to use 2 credits for this. Which isn't that big of a deal.

It was ok. Hoop-Dee-Do Review was much better in terms of show and enjoyment. Food was very similar (ok.)

It's a personal preference but I think the food at Hoop is MUCH better.

It is my friend who wants to go to this. I am on the fence especially now with the mixed reviews on here. She has an autistic child who I believe would really like and eats just about anything. So food quality isn't important to him just entertainment value. I on the other hand would like the food to taste good. We are on dining plan so we have to use 2 credits for this. Which isn't that big of a deal.

Other than location and travel time to/from, I can't think of one reason I would do Spirit of Aloha over Hoop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter