Splash Mountain Being Changed?

I think what Disney may be worried about is the fact it is the entire money verse one part of the movie, such as the crows in Dumbo. And truefully, they are probably worrying for nothing. Also, it may all boil down to the use of the name Tar Baby, which is a put down towards African American. I think we will never know why they are not releasing it, just like unless you search you won't see the Donald Duck carton where he dreams he is German and following Hitler.

Splash won't be changed in any major way, there is no need.

ever seen the lines in summer for this ride?

If it ain't broke then don't fix it, why put a ton of money into changing something that already works?

There's a difference between being PC and being embarrassingly out of touch, hopelessly dated and shamefully stereotyped. And personally, I can completely understand why Disney wants to keep this one locked in the vault. Yes, suh.

Yes. Nothing to add to this - and just to be clear: I just saw the film a few months ago.

And I'll make an even larger bet that those who are most adamantly focused on censoring and burying this film...have never even seen it.

For if they had, they'd know that the most unattractive, unsympathetic characters in the entire movie happen to be white. Johnny's over-protective, smothering mother Sally and the nasty poor white sharecropper children are literal villians when contrasted to the wisdom and grace of Uncle Remus (especially as he becomes the surrogate to Johnny's absentee father).

Well, while I don't think censorship is ever something good, I still think that the copyright owner has every right to decide whether they want to make their material available or not. One day the film will be in the public domain anyway.

But I must say that I have seen the film recently and I understand Disney's decision.

And actually just what you said about the unsympathetic characters being white while Uncle Remus being wise and gracious is part of the problem I have with this film. I find it fake and therefore a way of stereotyping as well. Kind of romanticising those who are less fortunate in life in order to make their fate appear better than it really is.

Don't hate me. But I would be ok with this. I think it would fit nicely. Especially in regards to how Disney feels about Song of the South. Disney's always looking to make things new and fresh. Go PATF Mountain!

Song of the South is a MOVIE--it's not a docudrama or a history lesson. It's a film depicting American folklore.

As Leonard Maltin so well put it:

"As for the original, Song of the South can speak for itself. Accusations of Uncle Tomisms and quibbles over it's syrupy storyline are ultimately defeated by the films sheer entertainment value. It has some of the most delightful moments Disney ever captured on film--and that's what really counts."

So no reason WHATSOEVER to change the ride.

I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't think it was racist in any manner. It's less racist (or antisemitic or whatever) the the majority of other old Disney films.

First, I want to say sorry if this has been brought up already. Haven't been on the boards in a couple of days.

I recieved a text last week from a friend who is a CM at Magic Kingdom. She told me that Splash Mountain is going to change from the Br'er Rabbit theme to The Princess and the Frog. No date was given, but said it will change sometime soon.

I for one, don't know how I feel about that kind of change. I feel as though Splash Mountain is one of those staples of Magic Kingdom.

Hope SM stays as it is to many changes now:confused..leave old ones the same and come up with new ideas as well...

First, I want to say sorry if this has been brought up already. Haven't been on the boards in a couple of days.

I recieved a text last week from a friend who is a CM at Magic Kingdom. She told me that Splash Mountain is going to change from the Br'er Rabbit theme to The Princess and the Frog. No date was given, but said it will change sometime soon.

I for one, don't know how I feel about that kind of change. I feel as though Splash Mountain is one of those staples of Magic Kingdom.

Don't worry. The chance of that happening is about 0.00001%

Hope SM stays as it is to many changes now:confused..leave old ones the same and come up with new ideas as well...

Personally, I think the Disney Company's treatment of Song Of The South has made it into the issue that it is today. Its not like it is the most racist and historically incorrect film they ever made and by not releasing it on dvd they have made it into more of an issue than it need ever be. And yes, those crows in Dumbo are just as bad, but my guess is because it isn't live-action it doesn't "count" as heavily as the happy wise ex-slave stuck on the plantation stereotype in SotS. When we hide these things away, we give them more power than they deserve and we prevent our society from moving past these issues.

TBH, I think Pocahontas is probably the most racist film Disney has ever made. It doesn't have the excuse of "it was the time" to fall back on.

But back to the topic at hand, I hope they don't change Splash anytime soon. =)

I hope that's not true. I love PATF, but Splash Mountain is amazing the way it is. Not many guests actually know what Song of the South is, true, but the theme of the ride is great (not the racism of the movie, but just the story presented in the attraction). Easy to understand, fun, and I've only met one person who didn't like Splash Mountain. I don't even know how it's possible not to like it...

It's the best log flume ride in the country, so I don't see why they would need to change it.

I, at the risk of showing my age, grew up reading the Bre-r Rabbit books and just loved them (still have one after 30+ years). However, disney won't even release Song of the South because of those who complain it is too racist, so I can see why they might want to remove it from the park for the same reason. Would be sorry to see it go...
BTW, my 13-year-old daughter LOVES PATF and so do her friends!

I don't see them changing this attraction. I tink its too iconic and it does too well as it is for them to think it needs a redo.

So I'm 26 and I know Song of the South!!!! It's Truth!! It's Actual!!! Everything is Satisfactual!!!!

I'm not surprised Disney has been running from the racist overtones of Songs of the South for Years. I like the theming of the ride and have always enjoyed it but if some find it offensive then they should change it, Disney is for everyone!!!!

I'm not surprised Disney has been running from the racist overtones of Songs of the South for Years. I like the theming of the ride and have always enjoyed it but if some find it offensive then they should change it, Disney is for everyone!!!!

Sigh.

Walt Disney himself was a rascist, anti-semitic, and anti-homosexual. He originally didn't want any of the above people to be able to go to disneyland.

If you look throught history, Disney is NOT for everyone.

Sigh.

Walt Disney himself was a rascist, anti-semitic, and anti-homosexual. He originally didn't want any of the above people to be able to go to disneyland.

This is an urban legend. There is no evidence to support any of this, but there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. There are a number of benefits attended or supported by walt Disney that were for minority and Jewish causes. There's a great deal of his personal letters at the Disney library that directly refutes these charges.

Mind you, that doesn't mean he NEVER said or thought things that would be judged harshly, by 21st century standards. He was a product of the first half of the 20th century, and he had the mores of a white man of that time period. He was no more racist, anti-semitic or homophobic than the average man of his time.

Sigh.

Mind you, that doesn't mean he NEVER said or thought things that would be judged harshly, by 21st century standards. He was a product of the first half of the 20th century, and he had the mores of a white man of that time period. He was no more racist, anti-semitic or homophobic than the average man of his time.

I think both of you should read the book "Vault of Walt" right now. Walt Disney was a very open minded and caring man, and there really isn't any evidence of racism, anti-semitism, etc. Any reasoning in this is bunk and this book outlines personal accounts of that and Walt's reasoning behind certain things that may seem racist. One particular thing it brings to light is how Walt didn't want to sugar coat life, in that there is and always will be evil, however good can always triumph over it. Song of the South wasn't him being racist or anything, it was showing the evils of racism and how it can be overcome. I'll sum it up with a Disney quote "When we do fantasy, we must not lose sight of reality."

Back on topic, I see no change to this ride soon, the uproar would be tremendous, its just too classic of a ride to change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter