• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Splash Mtn. January Rehab

mattjs

Mouseketeer
Read a seemingly reliable rumor that Splash at WDW will go down for rehab on January 6 and reopen sometime the first week of February.

I think Disneyland Splash is supposed to go down around this time too but now it appears as though it may be WDW as well.

Anyone else seen/heard anything on this one?

Let's hope they tear off all those bumper pads inside the logs and replace them with a mold/stink resistent material.

Although I doubt it, I wonder if they are going to install some form of restraint system in the logs.

I'll tell you, I've always been amazed there is no restraint system in any log flume type ride I've ever been on.

In this day and age of lawsuits, missing the restraints seems like a park asking for trouble...

True, and I was specifically thinking about what happened on Splash in November 2000.

same here....If they're installing the airgates as a lawsuit insulator, I can't imagine they wouldn't install the restraints...

I haven't heard of an official Splash Mountain shutdown but there was a comment on another thread several months ago about Splash Mountain having bad odors from mold, mildew, etc.

However much of the smell may be due to the disinfectants used to retard mold, etc. Any facility where "you may get wet" must adhere to sanitary regulations. Therefore every facility that has exposed water needs refurbishing from time to time.

Whatever cushioning is in the logs, if the surface gets cracked, the foam inside gets extremely unsanitary in short order thus it needs to be replaced.

More tips on keeping things clean:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/clean.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Maybe they don't have restraints due to drowning concerns? IE if a log flips or somehow bewcomes submerged?

I don't think drowning would be a concern due to the restraints. Otherwise Kali would be without restraint.

I think I read that no log flume has restraints because of the dangers of a flipping log; no passengers would be able to escape.

River rapids are a different story... But one or two did flip (after something broke), trapping people underwater. I think these happened @ Six Flags parks. But a raft will not flip unless something that should not break, breaks. A log can spin over much more easily (not that it's happened in recent memory).

This rumors up on wdwmagic now so I'd say it's pretty accurate. Wdwmagic has it starting in a few weeks for mechanical repair and instalation of boarding gates. Theres a very reliable person on Intercot though saying it may be the end of this weekend. No end date. Just that it'll be down for about a month.

Darn! I'm going the 18th and Splash Mountain is my fav ride. But they gotta work on it sometime.

Oh well, I'll just hope it's only a rumor.

Sure would be nice to confirm the veracity of the rumor and the effective dates. We'll be in the MK on 1/7 and 1/10, and I'd like to avoid the "sticker shock" from finding Splash Mtn on the tip board as a rehab.

FOLLOWUP: In continuing to research this, I find some discussion at wdwmagic that Big Thunder Mtn is ALSO up for rehab?!!?!?!?

NoNoNoNoNoNo! Not Big Thunder! It doesn't seem likely that they'd take down the two big attractions in Frontierland at once, does it? I hope not. Splash I can live without this trip...but Big Thunder Mt. is my favorite and I missed out on it on two of my last 3 trips because I was pregnant.

I really, really, really hope this rumor is nothing more than that...

A good friend of mine works at Splash and has told me that it will be done from this weekend through at least the begining of feb. She is being trained for thunder while splash is closed so i dont think they will both be down. For those of you going this next week she has the wonderful job of perm greeter (the one who stands at the entrance and tells you its closed). This is a terrible job so be nice to her. Her name is Dana, tell her Rob said hi.

CM: Sorry, This attraction is currently closed for refurbishment.
Guest: Is it broken?
CM: no, it's being cleaned and refurbished for your future enjoyment. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Guest: Will it be open later on today?
CM: no, it's closed until February 9th.
Guest: You're kidding me.
CM: sorry, I'm not. It's closed until February.
Guest's spouse/child: Is it open?
Guest: No, it's broken down, we'll have to check tomorrow.
CM: (sound of hand slapping forehead)

BTW, that "wet dog" smell comes from the recycled water (which is treated so as to be safe... although still pretty nasty) The rubber pads get changed out on a rotating schedule pretty often... but it's hard to tell. (I wash my hands and face after I ride Splash... yuck!)

I called and was transferred to guest services at MK and they told me it IS confirmed that it will definitely be closed for rehab on 1/6. they didnt say how long it would be down

Oh well, no "Laughin Place" for me this trip....

Does anyone know what the status of COP or Timekeeper will be? Maybe they will open (COP especially! hope hope!) since one of the mountains is down.

I'm with Safari Steve. The smell on my hands from those pads sends me right to the hand washing line. Sure doesn't smell like any disinfectant, lol.:(

Yeah, SM stinks pretty bad, but smells can be misleading. I mean, those turkey legs smell great...

Safari Steve.....LOL! :)
It is so funny how people just choose not to hear what you tell them!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter