• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

julzinthebox

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone, looking for some reassurance, alternative thinking, or a wake up call!

We are from the UK and have been pretty regular WDW visitors since our childhoods. 2019 was our first trip with our young kids and our plan was to return as often as we could. We were booked up for 2020 which obviously did not happen, and this year is off the table too. So we are beginning to plan for July 2022 and really hoping for some normalcy by then!

We are thinking of a split stay - 1 week at AOA in a LM room, then 1 week in a theme park view room at the Poly. We fell in love with the Poly on our last trip (didn’t stay there but visited) and since we’ll have missed out on a couple of trips by the time we return to WDW we thought we might splurge a little! We’re keen on AOA as we think the kids will love the theming (9 and 6) and easy Skyliner access appeals as HS will be a big park for us next year (along with MK). We’re planning to only do Disney, so don’t need to factor in other theme parks.

What are folks’ thoughts on that potential trip? Good resort choices? Should we be considering a family suite at AOA (our thinking is our first week will be very park heavy with little resort time so why bother?)? Is a theme park view room at the Poly worth the expense? Are we crazy to stay on property when there potentially still won’t be the benefits like EMH, dining plan, early fast pass access, character meals? In that case would we be better staying in a vacation home off site and having a slower paced vacation, and saving the splurge for another time?

Would love to hear what people think. Thanks!

2 adults, 2 children?

You should be OK in an AOA LM room, or even a nice value resort with 2 queen beds.
Poly would also be nice.

If you stayed off site, you would have to solely rely on renting a car (car hire, I think it's called in the UK), Uber, Lyft, or a taxi. Staying on site, you can rely on Disney transportation.

How long do you plan to stay at each of the parks? Will you be relaxing in the resorts for part of the trip? I assume you'll get the UK 14 day ticket?

Hey everyone, looking for some reassurance, alternative thinking, or a wake up call!

We are from the UK and have been pretty regular WDW visitors since our childhoods. 2019 was our first trip with our young kids and our plan was to return as often as we could. We were booked up for 2020 which obviously did not happen, and this year is off the table too. So we are beginning to plan for July 2022 and really hoping for some normalcy by then!

We are thinking of a split stay - 1 week at AOA in a LM room, then 1 week in a theme park view room at the Poly. We fell in love with the Poly on our last trip (didn’t stay there but visited) and since we’ll have missed out on a couple of trips by the time we return to WDW we thought we might splurge a little! We’re keen on AOA as we think the kids will love the theming (9 and 6) and easy Skyliner access appeals as HS will be a big park for us next year (along with MK). We’re planning to only do Disney, so don’t need to factor in other theme parks.

What are folks’ thoughts on that potential trip? Good resort choices? Should we be considering a family suite at AOA (our thinking is our first week will be very park heavy with little resort time so why bother?)? Is a theme park view room at the Poly worth the expense? Are we crazy to stay on property when there potentially still won’t be the benefits like EMH, dining plan, early fast pass access, character meals? In that case would we be better staying in a vacation home off site and having a slower paced vacation, and saving the splurge for another time?

I like the plan, sounds pretty fun. We stayed at AoA in the LM rooms. They're relatively small, but theyre fine if you don't plan to spend much time hanging out. It you were going to spend more, I'd probably go to a crescent lake resort rather than a AoA suite. Mainly because I'd rather be able to walk to Epcot and HS, but I'm sure the suites with more space would be nice.

EMH has already been announced as not returning, however, by this fall, something new will be in place that allows on-site guests into any park 30 minutes early. Before it was limited to 1 park per day, now it'll be all parks. I'd come back here in the fall once it's started to see how it really works.

I have hopes that the other items you mentioned will be back. Though we can only guess until it's announced.

I don't have experience with Poly, but like I said, I think you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

2 adults, 2 children?

You should be OK in an AOA LM room, or even a nice value resort with 2 queen beds.
Poly would also be nice.

If you stayed off site, you would have to solely rely on renting a car (car hire, I think it's called in the UK), Uber, Lyft, or a taxi. Staying on site, you can rely on Disney transportation.

How long do you plan to stay at each of the parks? Will you be relaxing in the resorts for part of the trip? I assume you'll get the UK 14 day ticket?

Thanks so much, that’s useful. Yes, 2 adults and 2 kids aged 9 and 6. I think a smaller room should be fine for us for week 1, the kids will love the resort theming and we won’t spend much time in the room. The first week will be pretty park heavy, with maybe 1 pool day and some hopping around other Skyliner and nearby resorts. The second week we’ll still hit the parks but either for a few hours in the morning or at night, with much more resort time. Yes, we’ll get the 14 day tickets.

I like the plan, sounds pretty fun. We stayed at AoA in the LM rooms. They're relatively small, but theyre fine if you don't plan to spend much time hanging out. It you were going to spend more, I'd probably go to a crescent lake resort rather than a AoA suite. Mainly because I'd rather be able to walk to Epcot and HS, but I'm sure the suites with more space would be nice.

EMH has already been announced as not returning, however, by this fall, something new will be in place that allows on-site guests into any park 30 minutes early. Before it was limited to 1 park per day, now it'll be all parks. I'd come back here in the fall once it's started to see how it really works.

I have hopes that the other items you mentioned will be back. Though we can only guess until it's announced.

I don't have experience with Poly, but like I said, I think you'll have a great time. Enjoy!
Thanks, that’s good to know about EMH and the extra 30 mins - I hadn’t heard that. Fingers crossed the other perks return! I think you’re right about AOA and the LM room will be fine for us. I’ll keep checking here for more updates on on site perks.

We are a family of 5 and have done several split stays. We get a little bored with one resort for too long, so it's like 2 vacations in 1. We have not stayed at AOA, but we have stayed at Poly, and I think that split is perfect! I'm not sure if you are going to all parks. As you said, it gives you great/easy access to a few parks. The Poly will be great especially if that week is not as park-heavy. The Poly is very relaxing and a great resort to hang out, go to the pool, and watch the electric water pageant at night. Good luck with your planning!

We are a family of 5 and have done several split stays. We get a little bored with one resort for too long, so it's like 2 vacations in 1. We have not stayed at AOA, but we have stayed at Poly, and I think that split is perfect! I'm not sure if you are going to all parks. As you said, it gives you great/easy access to a few parks. The Poly will be great especially if that week is not as park-heavy. The Poly is very relaxing and a great resort to hang out, go to the pool, and watch the electric water pageant at night. Good luck with your planning!
Thank you so much, that sounds perfect for our second week, it will definitely be lower key and we are really keen to spend more time at the Poly, we loved it when we passed through it a couple of years ago. Thanks again!

Thank you so much, that sounds perfect for our second week, it will definitely be lower key and we are really keen to spend more time at the Poly, we loved it when we passed through it a couple of years ago. Thanks again!
You're welcome!

I haven’t stayed at AoA, but the Poly is my favorite resort and your kids will love it. The rooms are very spacious since they were built in the 70s and are getting a gorgeous Moana refurb at present. Theme park view is perfect as well, you will be able to see the fireworks from your room as well as the Electrical Water Pageant. Poly is wonderful for a relaxing resort centric stay. If they bring it back, definitely try the Twilight Feast, it’s ‘Ohana dinner as room service. My gf and I ate it on the balcony in our PJs lol.

I haven’t stayed at AoA, but the Poly is my favorite resort and your kids will love it. The rooms are very spacious since they were built in the 70s and are getting a gorgeous Moana refurb at present. Theme park view is perfect as well, you will be able to see the fireworks from your room as well as the Electrical Water Pageant. Poly is wonderful for a relaxing resort centric stay. If they bring it back, definitely try the Twilight Feast, it’s ‘Ohana dinner as room service. My gf and I ate it on the balcony in our PJs lol.
Oh wow, eating ‘Ohana food on your balcony is the dream, lol! That’s really reassuring, thank you!

I think your plan sounds fantastic. You might look into Pop or one of the All Stars for the renovated rooms - they added coffee pots, more outlets for charging, more storage, and I believe the beds are queens now. The downsides are that the in-room theming is more subtle and you also lose the table when the second bed is down - it's a Murphy.

I love the Polynesian. I'm not sure you need to splurge on a theme park view, but it sounds like a very lovely upgrade if you choose to do that.

I like staying on-site at WDW. I like the transportation benefits and the general ambiance.

That’s great, thanks for your reply. Yes maybe the theme park view isn’t necessary, I might price up with and without and see how much it saves. I’ll also check out Pop/the All Stars although the AOA theming looks right up my kids’ street! Thanks again.

I think your plan sounds fantastic. You might look into Pop or one of the All Stars for the renovated rooms - they added coffee pots, more outlets for charging, more storage, and I believe the beds are queens now. The downsides are that the in-room theming is more subtle and you also lose the table when the second bed is down - it's a Murphy.

I love the Polynesian. I'm not sure you need to splurge on a theme park view, but it sounds like a very lovely upgrade if you choose to do that.

I like staying on-site at WDW. I like the transportation benefits and the general ambiance.
AoA was recently renovated as well. 😁

AoA was recently renovated as well. 😁

Oh, that's excellent! It's funny - I knew about work on the Big Blue Pool as well as repainting the giant animated characters out front, but not about the room interiors. :confused3 It looks like the Little Mermaid rooms got queen beds, but not in the Murphy style, so they have the table accessible all the time and they added coffee pots!

That’s great, thanks for your reply. Yes maybe the theme park view isn’t necessary, I might price up with and without and see how much it saves. I’ll also check out Pop/the All Stars although the AOA theming looks right up my kids’ street! Thanks again.

I will say even if you pick Standard View at the Poly it will be gorgeous. There’s pretty much no bad room views at that resort...the landscaping is such that if you face the parking lot you really can’t see it, and that side of the resort faces the monorail. You can always walk over to the beach to catch fireworks and the water pageant if you want.

I will say even if you pick Standard View at the Poly it will be gorgeous. There’s pretty much no bad room views at that resort...the landscaping is such that if you face the parking lot you really can’t see it, and that side of the resort faces the monorail. You can always walk over to the beach to catch fireworks and the water pageant if you want.

This is good to know. I'd started with TPV and then downgraded to Pool/Marina. My TA did some playing around with prices, and I can save about $300 by changing to Standard. *I* was playing with pricing and contemplating TPV but it's like $1200 more...and that is A. LOT. Especially since that island is in between the Poly and the MK, so you're looking over it.

I may decide to do Pool/Marina, but...we'll see.

I think this is mostly a great plan. My one caveat about the LM rooms at AOA is that they are kind of a trek from the rest of the resort. My friend stayed in one a few years ago, and even though she was alone and was willing to take shortcuts like cutting through parking lots so she was moving pretty fast, it still took her about 10 minutes to get to the central hub of AOA from her LM room (granted she stayed pre-Skyliner, so it might not be as much of a trek there). If you are ok with the longish walk every time you leave your room, and more importantly when you come back from the parks with two tired kids, they are a great option which was just renovated. If not, I would look into Pop/All-Stars, where you should be able to get a more centrally located room through room requests/preferred rooms.

Also, while the theme park view at the Poly is great (albeit a bit distant), I'm not sure it's worth the splurge at $300+/night more than a standard view (which are still mostly very pleasant views), and even if I were to splurge at the Poly, I would personally rather spend that money on a GV CL room (which typically costs the same as a TPV room), given the Poly CL is one of the best on property and will likely be back by July 2022. A short walk on the Poly grounds from your room can get you the same view from the beach in front of the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you saved the money on TPV at the Poly, you could probably upgrade to a family suite at the All-Stars ($200/night more than LM based on rack rates), AKL/WL ($250/night more than LM based on rack rates), or an AOA family suite/YC/BC/BWI ($300/night more than LM based on rack rates). Or you could just save the money and use it for something else.

Last edited:
I think this is mostly a great plan. My one caveat about the LM rooms at AOA is that they are kind of a trek from the rest of the resort. My friend stayed in one a few years ago, and even though she was alone and was willing to take shortcuts like cutting through parking lots so she was moving pretty fast, it still took her about 10 minutes to get to the central hub of AOA from her LM room (granted she stayed pre-Skyliner, so it might not be as much of a trek there). If you are ok with the longish walk every time you leave your room, and more importantly when you come back from the parks with two tired kids, they are a great option which was just renovated. If not, I would look into Pop/All-Stars, where you should be able to get a more centrally located room through room requests/preferred rooms.

Also, while the theme park view at the Poly is great (albeit a bit distant), I'm not sure it's worth the splurge at $300+/night more than a standard view (which are still mostly very pleasant views), and even if I were to splurge at the Poly, I would personally rather spend that money on a GV CL room, given the Poly CL is one of the best on property and will likely be back by July 2022. A short walk on the Poly grounds from your room can get you the same view from the beach in front of the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you saved the money on TPV at the Poly, you could probably upgrade to a family suite at the All-Stars ($200/night more than LM based on rack rates), AKL/WL ($250/night more than LM based on rack rates), or an AOA family suite/YC/BC/BWI ($300/night more than LM based on rack rates). Or you could just save the money and use it for something else.
This is so helpful, thank you - this is the type of insight I need! Will do some more research. I think an AOA family suite and regular room at the Poly might be a better option for us.

Thanks so much, that’s useful. Yes, 2 adults and 2 kids aged 9 and 6. I think a smaller room should be fine for us for week 1, the kids will love the resort theming and we won’t spend much time in the room. The first week will be pretty park heavy, with maybe 1 pool day and some hopping around other Skyliner and nearby resorts. The second week we’ll still hit the parks but either for a few hours in the morning or at night, with much more resort time. Yes, we’ll get the 14 day tickets.
Your have a great plan, Disney is very helpful with resort hopping.

We have stayed at both AOA (last time in 2018, staying in a Little Mermaid Room) and Poly (last time in 2020, staying in PVB). The kids will love AOA for the first week and you'll be super excited to go to the theme parks every day. The second week, you'll want to slow down and relax a bit more.

The walk from the LM rooms isn't that bad although, at the end of the evening, the walk back to any room feels pretty far! :)

IMO, the theme park view at the Poly is not worth the cost. The Poly is pretty far from the Magic Kingdom. This image should give you some idea of the distance. (Those tiny spirals above the boat in the distance are the Magic Kingdom!)

MK from Poly.jpg

In general, staying in one room for more than 7 nights gets tedious. Switching to another hotel for the second week will break up the trip nicely.

In addition, it's better to have the "nicer" hotel on the back half of any WDW trip. AOA is enjoyable but you'll appreciate the nicer pool and larger rooms at the Poly for the second week. The children (and adults!) should both really enjoy the Poly.

You will pay a fraction of the price if you stay offsite and rent a home, even taking into account a car rental and parking. That home will be huge compared to what you'll pay to stay onsite. You'll also be able to eat more cheaply offsite. It really depends on when whether you want to stay in the "Bubble". I would be influenced by the age of the children. Younger children won't remember it. With yours being 9 and 6, staying onsite could be a memory that lasts forever.

POP.jpg

LM Room.jpg

Poly.jpg

Poly (2).jpg

Last edited:
I think your plan sounds lovely! As others have mentioned, I probably wouldn't pay for the "Theme Park View" at the Poly though. It's very easy to go sit on the dock or the beach and watch the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter