Split stay: is it worth it?

I enjoy split stays. To me it feels like a whole new vacation once you're at the new resort, and it makes the trip feel longer.

My now ex didn't love them. My son followed his dad's opinion, and he and I haven't really been able to travel much since the divorce. When I travel with cousins, we have to split our stay because it's me and my cousin for RunDisney, then her extended family shows up and we have to move to a bigger villa. From this, I've learned that setting proper expectations with each and every family member is required.

OP here next question: do you feel like you miss most/all your day transferring resorts?

I do not.

You can have your stuff sent on by disney and then just plan out your day however you wish.

If you don't want to send your stuff by disney and prefer to move it on your own b/c you have a vehicle (and don't want to keep it in the car), there are two options for dealing with your stuff.
1. Stash it with the current resort, go about your day, and later go back to the first place to retrieve it, then move to the second place.
2. Take it over to the new resort, stash it there, go about your day, and enjoy knowing that your stuff is there at the new resort.

As for what you do during the day... You have to plan it out. You don't want to find yourself sitting at a resort waiting for your room. That's a great way to ruin a day. So you want to know what you're doing, and to be prepared for that. If you're heading to the parks, have everything you need. If you're going to swim, have everything you need. If you're doing both, have everything you need. It's best to not have dress-up plans too soon after check-in time starts, just in case your room is delayed.

A perfect day for me when changing resorts would involve hanging out at the pool of the first resort, then move to the second resort's pool. If doing that I would of course just keep my stuff stashed at the first resort until I was ready to move.

When we did a split stay I tried to pack what we would need in 1 suitcase, and avoid going into the other suitcases. It made it easy to throw everything back in that 1 suitcase and move on to the other resort. Disney takes care of everything, so you don't have to wait around and lose precious park time.

I have my first split stay coming up next month. We tend to live out of our luggage, so repacking shouldn’t be a big deal. I have it planned out where we check out of AKV around 9:00 a.m. and then we’ll Uber over to Riviera. Upon arrival, we’ll tour the resort a bit then have a late breakfast at Topolino’s. We’re hoping the room will be ready, but if not, we’ll have our swimsuits with us and have some pool time for a bit and then make our way to Epcot for a few hours.

As others have mentioned, Disney can transport your bags for you so you can go off and enjoy your day whether it’s in the parks or poolside.

Love split stays. It gives us an opportunity to try out different resorts. For our Jan/Feb trip we are doing a GF/Poly/YC (plus a cruse at the beginning)...wish us luck, lol.

I do split stays quite often, and I enjoy them. As others have said, it can be like having 2 separate vacations-go to certain parks from each hotel. Having said that, I have a couple suggestions. First, make your choice of the 2 hotels as convenient to different parks. Don't split between 2 monorail resorts, or both BWV and BCV (I did that once, and I still wonder why). Second, do the resort you're most familiar and happy with second. That way, if you don't like the one that's new to you, you still have "ole' reliable" to look forward to. However, having done about 6 split stays in a row, the last one being a 3 way split in 9 days, I'm looking forward to my next stay, where I unpack and settle in at one resort for the whole trip.

we've done both. I hated it, but to each there own. I think it's a matter of how much time you spend in the park, vs waiting twice for your room at 4pm. I like getting up, having breakfast at our leisure and maybe even doing laundry or homework, then pick a park with extra hrs and head out between 11 and 12. we also never eat a meal in the parks, so I prep dinner ( I pick EASY stuff), and either get it in the crock pot, or have it ready to pop in the oven for 30min. when we get back. it takes that long to get everyone showered anyway.
These days we strip down toss our covid clothes in the washer and then clean up before we touch anything! LOL.

I read a lot of posts by people who do a split stay or move several times in a trip. I'm torn. We're going to OKW. I'm more of the settle in and enjoy type, but I'd love to try AKL. The thought of packing up and moving mid-trip gives me hives so it may never happen. Now with resorts not moving perishables, that adds yet another wrinkle. (btw we don't rent a car).
We did split stays on both of our last minute rented point trips prior to purchasing our direct points and we enjoyed it. We liked that we got to visit and stay at several different resorts, especially being on the fence as to whether to buy in or not. Only regret we had was we did several "one nighters" and I would recommend doing at least 2 nights at each resort to get a better feel as well as minimize the disruption. We had a car so we moved our own luggage which helped.

We only do split stays can’t imagine only staying at one resort. We tend to do near park resorts and change to do each park

I love split stays and almost always do them. One MK resort and one Epcot resort (DVC). A couple of times we've gone to drop our luggage off to be transferred and they asked if we wanted a ride over to the second hotel. Worked for us! Occasionally it ends up being just one night at either end due to significant difference in airfare prices.

Love split stays at Disney! They move everything for you, you go to the park, and it's all done!

I don't see the big deal about split stays, unless you have a kiddo who still needs nap time. But I don't really cook on vacation and travel a lot anyway. I can see how it would be a hassle if you really were trying to do something in the kitchen.

Love split stays. It gives us an opportunity to try out different resorts. For our Jan/Feb trip we are doing a GF/Poly/YC (plus a cruse at the beginning)...wish us luck, lol.

If you've never done that many switches... I have found that a nice checklist with spaces for each move works out well. Unpack and repack spots for each move.

We have done a few split stays. Typically starting in a studio and then switching to a 1 bedroom. We stay at fancy or high points studio, studio, eating out our meals and capitalizing on the location. Then we move to the 1 bedroom and spread out, cook meals and do laundry.

We have done a few split stays. Typically starting in a studio and then switching to a 1 bedroom. We stay at fancy or high points studio, studio, eating out our meals and capitalizing on the location. Then we move to the 1 bedroom and spread out, cook meals and do laundry.

Interesting strategy. I've always tried to end with the best location and the best experience, but I can see how ending after a few days at OKW would be nice also.

I know people stay next to the park they visit but for me I don't want to go to the same park every day except going to Epcot every evening (which if possible I don't even visit during the day).

So for me I prefer just staying at BWV or RIV and getting easy access to Epcot for the evening.

We've done a handful of split stays and, on the whole, we've really loved them. Moving between resorts with a car works well. Moving between resorts without a car also works well since Disney handles so much of the move for you. We've had days where we go to the parks in the morning, come back to Resort 1, change into swimsuits, check out, take bags to bell services, and then play in the pool at either Resort 1 or Resort 2, depending on which pool we prefer. We've had days where we check out of AKL, go to MK, then go to our new room at POR or WL with our bags already there. It's really quite nice.

Earlier this year, however, we had our best transfer yet. Spent all day at SAB on check out day from BCV, then took the Skyliner over to RIV. Incredibly fun.

When we first bought into DVC we enjoyed a few split stays. It is easier to get into harder to book venues when only looking for 3 nights versus 6. When we cruise I'll book a pre-cruise room at one venue and another post-cruise at different venue. It can be enjoyable but we don't find it as restful as one long stay. Of course for us a long stay is a week.

Moving is a non-issue - or has been for us. We dropped our belongings with BS and they delivered while we were out about. In November, when things were a bit dicey **COVID** we took a taxi with our luggage and food from the Dolphin to Saratoga.

Don't do anything that gives you hives. You are on vacation. OKW is lovely. Stay in one spot and enjoy. Try WL next trip. The latter is my opinion since you are asking. 8-)

I used to always do split stays. It was easy and I wanted to stay in all the resorts. One time I apologized to my family because I could only get one DVC booked. At the end of the trip DH said no my split stays, he likes to stay put.

Never done it and never will. For me one of the best feelings of the trip is that moment when we have finally finished unpacking, arranged the groceries in the kitchen, and are all settled in for the rest of the trip. When I want to experience a different resort, I will do so by staying there on a future trip.
On edit: one exception I might consider making would be splitting a trip between a Disney resort and a Universal resort such as HRH, where proximity and express access could well outweigh the inconvenience of moving.

Last edited:
I love split stays! We take extended summer trips, so for me, looking forward to another location is exciting! We’ll do one week at one resort - always start out at an Epcot resort and only do Epcot, HS and AK that week, and then switch to a MK resort and exclusively do MK with a couple Epcot evenings. Gives you something to look forward to! I love the change of atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter