Split stay or entire time at Aulani?

94bruin

DIS Veteran
Hi!

We've decided to go to Oahu in June. We have up to 10 days, including travel days. DH & I have been to Oahu once before but have been to Kauai, Maui & Big Island multiple times. The kids have been to Maui & Kauai and like the slow pace. We've told the kids how Honolulu will be different because it's more like a Mainland beach town vs the slower, smaller towns of the other island. My 12yo was dismayed when she heard this and would probably prefer to go to one of the other islands.

In any case, we'd like to go because DH & I didn't see Pearl Harbor last time. So the only two requirements for this trip is to go see Pearl Harbor and a stay at the Aulani.

I'm just not sure if we should just stay at the Aulani the entire time or go for a split stay. A friend just returned from a trip to Turtle Bay and she loved it. Is staying at the North Shore sufficiently different that it warrants a mid-trip move? Can we just do a day trip there? And how about doing a few day trips to Waikiki/Pearl Harbor? I see some people do a split stay in the Waikiki area and Aulani. How does one decide?!

The only other activities we are possibly interested in are surfing, snorkeling (maybe a boat ride, if that's a thing on Oahu)? Hiking might be out since DH currently has plantar fasciitis. If he heals, we might opt for some hiking. I'm usually an out and about type of traveler, but I think we may take it easy on this trip.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

I personally would stay put and use Aulani as your base. Everything on Oahu is about an hours drive (traffic can snarl you up tho).

Tell your 12 year old not to fear, Oahu has some amazing, laid back beaches like Waimanaolo, Lanikai and Kailua plus anywhere up on the North Shore feels like a surfer's day dream, so so so laid back and relaxed.

Turtle Bay Resort is great, really nice and well worth moving to if you are staying in Waikiki.

Our trips have all been in the 10-12 day range and we always stay exclusively at Aulani when on Oahu. I have no desire whatsoever so stay or spend much time in Honolulu/Waikiki

My main issue with big resorts is the food. After a couple of days you have tried everything, and the prices are a killer. But that is just us, Hawaii has something for everyone.

My main issue with big resorts is the food. After a couple of days you have tried everything, and the prices are a killer. But that is just us, Hawaii has something for everyone.
If money weren't an issue, I'd probably stay the whole time at Aulani. The food thing is a very good point, but if you use your kitchen some, it helps. Plus when you're day-tripping, you can eat other places then. We stayed 5 nights (of 14 total in Hawaii) and would've liked a couple more!

I would recommend you plan your Pearl Harbor (or any other Waikiki/Honolulu) day for the weekend to avoid the workday traffic.

try these for plantar, I can walk all day in these, with traditional flip flops, I last an hour

https://www.vionicshoes.com/wave-to...WRwrXq3QjJSFW-czP_FTbv1udDZzq6bMaAgfJEALw_wcB

I am a Waikiki person. Good for dining, surf lessons, outrigger canoe rides and catamaran sails. For 10 days I would go to more than one place. Hawaii is so diverse, there is no best answer.

I love vivonic, they are great. I got my husband a pair of Vivonic sandles from Zappos (he has the same feet /podiatry issues) and he can walk all day in them;

https://www.zappos.com/p/vionic-neil-black/product/8982441/color/3

For someone who has not been to Waikiki, Hanuama Bay or Diamond Head, I'd recommend a split stay - with maybe 3 days in the Waikiki area. Our first trip to Oahu with the kids, we did just that - 3 nights in Waikiki and 10 at Aulani. (We visited the North Shore and Pearl Harbor out of Aulani). On subsequent trips, we have stayed exclusively at Aulani and usually only venture out locally or to the North Shore (love the shrimp trucks and shaved ice).

Split stay it, I feel the Aulani is pretty isolated.

We did the The Kahala and did diamond Head from there and pearl harbor before heading to the Aulani.

We are splitting our trip - 7 days at aulani followed by 3 days in Waikiki. We’ll save the activities on the east end of the island for the Waikiki days and plan to avoid Honolulu otherwise.

we stayed in Waikiki for 4 days and then 6 days at Aulani this past summer. Aulani is fairly remote but we scheduled snorkeling and diving trips from Aulani as well as Pearl Harbor. There is an ABC store and small shopping center close to Aulani

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter