• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split stay questions

shan981

Mouseketeer
So after all of the great advice and insight I got regarding choosing between CR and AoA, we decided to book a split stay so we could do both.

4 nights at CR Tower theme park view, followed by 4 nights at AoA in a Finding Nemo suite. Traveling with DH and three boys (10 and almost 2yo twins).

Do you think we will be disappointed going from deluxe to value? I've read it should be the other way around, but I am thinking the kids, especially the littles, will like AoA more, so for them it may be a disappointment moving to CR. And also I thought going from less room to more room may be better than the opposite.

Unrelated, I know we can customize the magic bands for our second half of the trip or not. Is there any reason NOT to? It just seems like it would be good to have a backup, and all of the bands will work regardless, correct?

Yes, I think it would be disappointing to move from CR to AoA. From personal experience, the 2-year olds will, most likely, be happy wherever they are. When my DS was 2 he was happy at any resort. I think it will be disappointing for the parents and the 10-year old. CR is convenient, has deluxe amenities and incredibly comfortable rooms. AoA is the loudest, most chaotic, most uncomfortable resort I've ever stayed in.

Yes, all of the MB's will work. There is no reason not to customize the second set unless you don't want 2 MB's.

So after all of the great advice and insight I got regarding choosing between CR and AoA, we decided to book a split stay so we could do both.

4 nights at CR Tower theme park view, followed by 4 nights at AoA in a Finding Nemo suite. Traveling with DH and three boys (10 and almost 2yo twins).

Do you think we will be disappointed going from deluxe to value? I've read it should be the other way around, but I am thinking the kids, especially the littles, will like AoA more, so for them it may be a disappointment moving to CR. And also I thought going from less room to more room may be better than the opposite.

Unrelated, I know we can customize the magic bands for our second half of the trip or not. Is there any reason NOT to? It just seems like it would be good to have a backup, and all of the bands will work regardless, correct?
Honestly i'd leave it just the way it is. They'll LOVE AoA. Ending a trip there will make them happy im sure. Its such a great resort for kids. I loved AoA. I didnt find it chaotic or noisy. Its a terrific resort.

It would be disappointing. Other than the theming (if you are planning to spend the majority of the time in the room) you lose out on so much. Better pool, mono rail, the cavernous lobby, the views... all of those things are MORE what two 2 year olds and 1 ten year old will enjoy.

Stacy

I think it would be disappointing. We've done a couple of split stays and if we are going mod to deluxe, I do the mod first. Our first split, we did CBR and Yacht Club. We had never stayed at CBR before and we absolutely did not like it at all. Luckily, we were only there for a few nights and then moved to the Yacht Club. If it had been the other way around, it would've been a real let down.

Btw, we stayed at CR in June and we LOVED it! It was so awesome to be able to walk to MK or hop on the monorail. The rooms were huge and very nice. It is our new fav resort!

I do a lot of split stays and always do the deluxe last. AoA is a cute resort but underneath it all, it is a value resort so just doesn't have the amenities that a deluxe does. The kids are going to be happy anywhere, it's Disney. As far as the MBs, the original one will work for everything, no need to get the second unless you absolutely want two. When they first came out with the new bands, we bought a carabiner and switched one of the pucks into it and kept the other as a band for those days I wouldn't have something to hook a carabiner on. I got to switch out colors of pucks and bands that way. After that, I refuse the bands because I just don't need that many of them hanging around my house.

I agree that it will be disappointing. Our first split stay we went from Poly to CBR (due to availability it was the only way to get the dates to work out). It was a huge let down. Now we will only move up or stay within the same category.

I think it will be a little disappointing. You and DH will miss the convenience that CR offers. While the 2 year olds will most likely be happy at any of the resorts.

I think if you aren't in your room a whole lot, you all will be just fine. And as for your children, they will love AoA- great theming and to children, they don't notice any differences between value, moderate and deluxe, they notice characters, pools and the frills!! They will love the Nemo room too. Unless you mention something about it, I think it will be fine for the kids and you all as well. Nothing wrong with AoA, just a bit busy for me.

I think if you aren't in your room a whole lot, you all will be just fine. And as for your children, they will love AoA- great theming and to children, they don't notice any differences between value, moderate and deluxe, they notice characters, pools and the frills!! They will love the Nemo room too. Unless you mention something about it, I think it will be fine for the kids and you all as well. Nothing wrong with AoA, just a bit busy for me.

This was my line of thinking, but we seem to be in the minority here, haha. I was really hoping to hear from someone who had gone deluxe to value and NOT been disappointed, but I guess there's a reason I'm not hearing that. I am just picturing moving two toddlers from their Nemo room and Big Blue Pool to a plain room at the CR with a boring pool. They won't understand or appreciate the convenience of the monorail and/or walking to MK, which is the main reason we want to spend some time at CR.

Now I'm wondering if I should go back to my original plan of doing the whole stay at CR but in GW instead to keep it more within our budget, rather than downgrade to AoA. I could move AoA to the beginning of the trip, but I really want to go to MK in the beginning also since that is what the kids will think of when they think of going to Disney. So that kind of defeats the purpose of staying at CR if we do that at the end of the trip.

This was my line of thinking, but we seem to be in the minority here, haha. I was really hoping to hear from someone who had gone deluxe to value and NOT been disappointed, but I guess there's a reason I'm not hearing that. I am just picturing moving two toddlers from their Nemo room and Big Blue Pool to a plain room at the CR with a boring pool. They won't understand or appreciate the convenience of the monorail and/or walking to MK, which is the main reason we want to spend some time at CR.

Now I'm wondering if I should go back to my original plan of doing the whole stay at CR but in GW instead to keep it more within our budget, rather than downgrade to AoA. I could move AoA to the beginning of the trip, but I really want to go to MK in the beginning also since that is what the kids will think of when they think of going to Disney. So that kind of defeats the purpose of staying at CR if we do that at the end of the trip.

I say stick with what you planned. I tend to sweat the details too but regardless of what you decide, you all will have a blast. Have fun!!

I say stick to your plan. I think your family will enjoy both resorts. CR is great for location and history, but it can be rather chaotic and noisy! AoA is such a fun place for kids. The pool is great and the taller than life characters will be great for your kids! Make sure to visit all the areas. Make sure to go under the water in the Nemo pool and your two year olds will love the splash pad! Your ten year old might like to take one of the animation lessons in the lobby. My kids always love to do that! We definitely miss that attraction in HS!

Your trip is going to be amazing! Don't sweat it! Just enjoy this special family time together and make memories of a lifetime!

We have done a split stay moving from deluxe to deluxe (non-monorail resort to monorail resort), and let me tell you, we were all (including our kids who were only 8 and 10 at the time) yearning for the 2nd half of our stay so that we could enjoy the convenience of the monorail.

I think you'll be fine.. The kids will love it and after all you're in Disney how bad could it be.:love:

My adult daughter and i are staying at the Beach club V over Christmas:santa: for 3 nights then staying at the French Quarter to New Years. :yay:

The Beach Club will be totally new to us but our home away from home is the French quarter and so excited for both stays.

The kids will likely like AOA more honestly. The pool is a non issue as the contemporary pool is probably the worst of all the deluxe resorts and probably worse than many moderates. my kids were 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 when we stayed in the cars suite at AOA and they are 8 1/2 and 6 1/2 now and all I hear about is when are we going to stay at AOA again after staying at just about all the deluxe resorts.

IMHO, contemporary is good for one thing, you can walk to the magic kingdom and walk back from the magic kindom. IMHO I'd save money and wouldn't book the theme park view unless you really plan to hang out in the room.

The kids will likely like AOA more honestly. The pool is a non issue as the contemporary pool is probably the worst of all the deluxe resorts and probably worse than many moderates. my kids were 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 when we stayed in the cars suite at AOA and they are 8 1/2 and 6 1/2 now and all I hear about is when are we going to stay at AOA again after staying at just about all the deluxe resorts.

IMHO, contemporary is good for one thing, you can walk to the magic kingdom and walk back from the magic kindom. IMHO I'd save money and wouldn't book the theme park view unless you really plan to hang out in the room.

This is another thing we're still debating. I am far too indecisive to be in charge of planning a Disney trip, haha. Originally we were going to do the GW since it's much less expensive. As it is, for 4 nights it looks like we would save about $800 by switching. But then I thought the kids might like being in the tower, plus it seems convenient with everything right there and less walking. And with the toddlers, we may be in the room for early bedtimes and it will be nice to have a balcony to watch the fireworks. But then on the other hand, being on the ground floor (although not guaranteed) at GW also sounds great when a double stroller is involved.

You and DH might be disappointed, but your kids will probably love AoA more. The theming at AoA is definitely geared towards the kiddos and the Big Blue Pool at AoA will be an upgrade from that at CR. I would definitely keep things as-is. Given how great the pool is at AoA, you might want to plan a little more resort time just to enjoy the pool! :boat:

Have a great trip!

This is another thing we're still debating. I am far too indecisive to be in charge of planning a Disney trip, haha. Originally we were going to do the GW since it's much less expensive. As it is, for 4 nights it looks like we would save about $800 by switching. But then I thought the kids might like being in the tower, plus it seems convenient with everything right there and less walking. And with the toddlers, we may be in the room for early bedtimes and it will be nice to have a balcony to watch the fireworks. But then on the other hand, being on the ground floor (although not guaranteed) at GW also sounds great when a double stroller is involved.

I would stay in the tower, I just wouldn't go for the theme park view as I believe that ups the cost. Fireworks aren't the same now anyway, the show is projected on the castle and I doubt you would have a great view from the balcony.

I really agree with all of this this. Normally I might say it could be a letdown switching to a value, but in this case, you're getting a more fun pool AND going from sharing one room to having a suite. I think it's a good split. AOA is a really cute, exceptionally well done resort. Contemporary has a good location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter