• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Splitting the check

qv09vvp

Disney or Bust
I feel dumb for asking but in all of our years of going to Disney I've never had to do this.

Next trip we will be going with extended family . Like 14-18 people . Already acknowledging that when we dine together it will take multiple reservations.

However if I put 8 people on 1 dining reservation, can multiple people pay like normal split check? Hubby and I are DVC ap so we want to take advantage of our discounts.

I also do not have any experience with this. If they are all staying in the same resort you could charge to your magic band which would allow the discount and then each group could pay their portion at the resort front desk.

I know when we would travel with others and we all had the DDP we would get separate checks. They knew when they took our orders.

I also do not have any experience with this. If they are all staying in the same resort you could charge to your magic band which would allow the discount and then each group could pay their portion at the resort front desk.
Good point! As much as I would like to share our discount, I can't handle the headache of telling folks how much they need to pay ... especially Disney prices plus the inevitable 20 percent tip ... somehow things never even up .. and since we are planning a sit down a day, my stress level would be through the roof with that kind of hotel bill adding up daily !! Lol

You can split checks. We were only a party of three earlier this month and we were asked at the end if we wanted to split. For a large group, I do feel that giving your server a heads up is the polite thing to do.

We have split checks many times. One thing with larger parties is keep in mind tables of six (even with splitting checks) or more will get the mandatory 18% tip added to the bill.

I would personally not do that unless it's someone you have a really good relationship with and you trust will pay you their share. If your room charges get above a certain value, Disney will charge the credit card on file.
Honestly, in a case like this I probably wouldn't even setup magic band charging.

Have you already made your reservations? If not, before you get to the splitting check, you need to know that getting tables all together is a major issue thee days and its very possible you won't all be seated together. You could be split between 2-3 tables. That may impact the splitting of checks, either making it easier or way more complicated.

I would personally not do that unless it's someone you have a really good relationship with and you trust will pay you their share. If your room charges get above a certain value, Disney will charge the credit card on file.
Honestly, in a case like this I probably wouldn't even setup magic band charging.
I was just throwing it out there as the OP said it was family, although extended I would assume that you could trust them to pay as after all they are sharing the vacation with you.

It is a good point that Disney will be charging the card but that is usually not till the next morning so you will have plenty of time to stop at the front desk and pay it.

Granted we are not in large groups but we are dining at signature restaurants and having some adult beverages but we do charge with the magicband and then pay with Gift Cards at the front desk.

For those that do not purchase discounted gift cards, if it is charged to the room it will also code as travel instead of dining so you would be able to wipe the charges off with a Venture or Venture X where if it was done in the restaurant you would not be able to do so.

Easy tell the server to split the check and point out who is with who - better if they can sit in order but not impossible if not. Only those parties that are entitled to a discount will receive although if a DVC member pays for all all will get the discount. There was max # of people but I do not see that wording anymore. All will have an 18% tip added if you sit together or have a table of 6 or more make sure everyone is aware more so as a family may double tip which is ok if they choose.

We always ask for separate checks when we travel with other families - makes it alot easier, as we enjoy cocktails which could pad the bill and some of the other family does not. Not a problem at all! Actually one time, the ladies and men split up tables at Narcoosee's (across the whole restaurant from each other) and the waitress actually gave every single one of us a separate check (10 of us in total) without batting an eyelash. You will be fine!

We will usually tell the server up front that we want to split it so that they don't bring the bill and then have to go back and re-do it. We travel with another couple and we almost always do this. Sometimes we'll alternate who pays or we will split it later and pay them back, but sometimes it's just easier to ask for a split especially if you get points on your credit card and each of us wants our own points.

Our group was three different families for a prior Disney trip and we always made one reservation but then asked for 3 separate checks. My impression was once you are seated, no one cares how the reservation was made. Makes sense to let the server know how you are splitting the check when placing your order. Waiting until they bring the bill to tell them means added work for the server to redo the bill.

As long as you let them know Disney will take your money anyway you want to give it to them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter