• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spousal resistance III

coloradodad

Mouseketeer
Now I am past ROSR (right of spousal refusal) - she is all systems go. :cool1:

The big debate/analysis/decision is the home club and contract size. My thoughts (DW influenced) are to get a BCV contract for around 150 points and add another contract of around 70 points.

I think that we would like to stay at a number of resorts throughout our lifetime but I am not certain if it makes sense to split these contracts or just get a bigger BCV contract?

For instance if we had the smaller one at SSR would we ever have the opportunity to land a grand villa without it being our primary home resort? I think most of our stays will be studios and 1 bedroom stays (more 1 bedroom stays) and also bigger on occasion with the grand parents. Should we go the other way with the contract with the bigger SSR and smaller BCV to book the occasional 1 BR at BCV and focus on the bigger accommodation at SSR? (have not been through the booking process so do not know how tough it is to land certain properties). :confused3

Aside from the resale aspect and the point management, any thoughts on the splitting of home resorts? Pros/cons? We tend to be quite analytical and can plan pretty far in advance so I think we can manage the banking/borrowing aspect of all of this (with a little help from our DIS friends :) )

Thanks,
mg

To me, splitting only makes sense if both sides of the split contain enough points for a full vacation. Our family doesn't like to pack up and move halfway through a trip, and there's only so much you can book with 70 points. We happen to own BCV and love both the resort and its proximity to Epcot and MGM (same for BWV). Other families, especially with young children, love VWL because of its closeness to MK. But there's also the "what touches your heart?" factor which is very personal. Personally, I suspect that as years go by, it will be harder to own at a large resort and book a smaller one, but a bit easier to own at a small resort and book a large one.

If you check out the point requirements for an SSR GV, 70 points (210 with banking/borrowing) will get you at most 3 nights outright in a GV...is that enough?...and will you plan not to use those points so you do bank them all for one year? That's my downfall...I tend to use all of our points in any given year and borrow, so I have less than 2 years worth of points with which to book a GV in those resorts that I own, (VB and BWV) at any given time. Next year I am planning on 3 nights VB and 3 nights BWV in the GV's so, we will have enough. We own 250 at BWV, and 150 at VB, and all of this year's and some of next years have been used for both resorts, so it's '09 points that we really need to make the 6 nights happen!

Our AKV points (100) will not really be enough to book a GV there, but the existence of Dedicated 2 bedrooms for us relieves the need for a GV...and since BCV also has dedicated 2 bedrooms (BWV doesn't) I wouldn't feel the need to have a GV.

If SSR and BCV with the point numbers you give were my choices, I would lean toward just have BCV points.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I too reccomend getting enough point to get the reservation you require every 3rd year. When we added on at AKV, we knew we wanted a 1 bedroom Savanna view, so we took the point value for the timeframe we prefer and divided it by 3 to determin how many points to add on there. It makes for a strange number, but it will give us the flexibility we want. If GVs are your goal, you will need quite a few points even for an every 3rd year week long ressie.

okay I know I am in the minority here - big time.

but to me a GV is not worth the points. they are nice yes - but if you care about the sleeping area - they are basically a studio and 2-bedroom. that is
it.

I would rather have the studio and 2-bedroom - of course with me it would be 1-bedroom (where everyone could me) and 2 studios - my family all needs their space.

so getting enough points for a GV too me is a big waste. my opinion.

I would go with 150 points at BCV - but only and I mean only if someone in your party can't live with SALB.

if you want that area - then go with BWV - then you have access to the standard view (less points).

the old resorts - OKW, BCV, VWL, BWV - all quit in 2042.

SSR will quit in 2054

AKV will quit in 2057 (might be 2058)

if you are young or have children you need to consider that too.

We did almost the exact flip of what you are planning. We bought our large contract at SSR for a number of reasons, but one of them being lower MF over time. Then we added on a smaller contrct at BCV for an "every other year" kind of trip. I would recommed the larger contract at SSR if the GV is the main priority for your family, however, I do know that SSR is one of the easier resorts to book at the 7 month mark due to its size. But as far as GVs go, I do not know.

Also, have you considered BWV? They have the Epcot/MGM location and also have a few GVs. That may blend both of your resort wishes unless it's SAB that draws you to BCV. They also have higher MFs than both resorts
you mentioned.

Good Luck with your decision.

Ellen

I was initially thinking more along the BWV lines but DW really likes the BCV so that is why that has taken priority. I think the logic of having the BCV contract as the smaller one to have the preferred trips there makes sense. The length of contract is an issue too, but I cannot quite tell where I will be in 35 years at this time.

So much to consider. The only thing I know is that once we commit, we will not look back. Until we start adding on.....

go rent a night at BCV before you buy.

It is NOT BC. Which she is probably comparing it too.

BC has some lovely views.

BCV has some nice ones and parking lots views...

BCV was an after though. Heck the entire DVC world was created after BC was build.

The only advice I can give is, if the spouse was resisting, and now is agreeing, be sure to purchase her choice of Home Resort or you will never hear the end of it. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter