Spring Break Planning for a last minute DVC first visit.

jaymie.b

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Welcome to our first pre-trip report. I am super excited to be sharing our adventures with all of you. Who am I? I'm Jaymie. Father of two, Husband of one fine lady and a huge kid at heart.

Over the holiday's DW was feeling a little blue and was needing some magic. We had been wanting to do Disney over Christmas for years but was always apprehensive due to our non-Disney friends telling us what an enormous nightmare it is. After considering the sources, we realized that we could pull it off with proper planning just like we do with any of our other Disney adventures. So there it was! We were on the way to WDW. We planned to fly out on Christmas day. it was truly the most perfect Christmas day we could ask for. It had snowed the night before and we had our first white Christmas as a Family.

We had planned to surprise the kiddos on Christmas day. When the magic bands arrived we wrapped them up in the box that they were shipped in and then put them in a giant box filled with ballons for them to open on Christmas morning. The plan worked out perfectly. DD just about pee'd herself with her excitement. DS was a little more reserved, not sure he realized what was really going on.

Long story short, it ended being our favorite trip yet. On our last day, we didnt have any real plans so we made our way to Gatorland and later that afternoon we had an appointment to meet with a DVC guide (Our third presentation). We had been on the fence for at least 7 years and we kept watching the prices go up and up... and up some more. Not sure what was different that day, but we ending up buying at Poly after we got home. Here's the YouTube video of that Christmas morning surprise:

What: So now, as new DVC members we were in a conundrum. Back in January of 2017 we had booked a 7 night SWDAS aboard the Fantasy for April this year. We had paid a large part of our points in cash so as to maximize the value and decrease the amount financed and had a difficult time justifying another $6500 for the cruise. We had to make a decision. Cancel the cruise and do our "First Welcome Home" or do the cruise and feel absolutely gluttonous about the amount of money we just spent on DVC and a DCL trip.

In the end, common sense and a very light bank account overruled the SWDAS cruise so here we were, 4 months out in all out panic trying to plan our first DVC Disney trip! So follow along and lets have some fun.

Who: Us!

15025418_10211424492112833_8993535529595029811_o by Jaymie Batoon, on Flickr

From left to right, me, DD (10), DS (6), and DW. Taken during MNSSHP back in 2016.

26170712_10215521908865691_8827312584010297811_o by Jaymie Batoon, on Flickr

I'm a certifiable Star Wars and Disney nut whose passion for both was reignited back in 2011 when we took DD on our very first Disney visit. I grew up in Hawaii and California so Disneyland was all I knew. Disneyland trips were a very fond memory of my own childhood so when we visited WDW and DD who was 4 at the time ran to Mickey and gave him a huge hug... My wife and I knew, we would be Disney fans for life.

DD is a Disney nut by default. We've gone on a Disney trip at least 1-2 times per year since we started our adventures back in 2011.

26116360_10215521648419180_7100293770379775375_o by Jaymie Batoon, on Flickr

DW was the hesitant Disney nut. Her first trip back in the early 90's with her family was "meh" at best. So when DD and I told her that we should visit WDW before DS was born she really wasn't so sure. And that same Mickey moment with DD sealed the deal for her.

DS is still being indoctrinated. He loves all things Disney, Star Wars and Marvel but isn't quite as crazy about them as the three of us are. He's quite content staying at home reading books and doing math at home... no seriously.

When: Mid April just as the spring break crowds start to "die-down".

Where: We'll be staying at the Poly. It's our home resort and the good times we had booking this first DVC visit 4 months out at near peak times was one heck of time (details to follow).

Why: Because we like you.

I hope you all stay tuned and join me as I document the fun we've had up to this point as well as upcoming posts about Disney Bounding, ADR's, Fast Pass adventures, as well as the panic attack we had booking DVC Moonlight Magic.

Fun! We also had a SWDAS cruise booked for April before we bought our DVC contact (resale at AKV) and made the same decision, so we are just over a month away from our first DVC stay on our points (we rented points at AKV & Poly for our last trip).

Fun! We also had a SWDAS cruise booked for April before we bought our DVC contact (resale at AKV) and made the same decision, so we are just over a month away from our first DVC stay on our points (we rented points at AKV & Poly for our last trip).

Painful decision isn't it?

It is. We rebooked the cruise for spring break 2019, unfortunately it isn’t SWDAS but it will do ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter