Spring sunshine and showers Trip Report, Hotel New York, 18-22 May 2014

Day 1 - Sunday

We were up at 3:30am for our early morning flight. DS1 was very excited but it was a bit difficult to wake DS2!

Managing 2 big suitcases, a double buggy, hand luggage and two kids was a bit stressful at the airport, so we were relieved when bag drop was done. I was also glad that we had booked Ezyshuttle rather than trying to change terminals etc at CDG to get the TGV.

DS2 was delighted to be going on a plane for the first time. He has has ear problems in the past so I was worried about how take-off would affect him but he was fine. We arrived 30 minutes early, but we still only had to wait 5 minutes for our Ezyshuttle driver to pick us up. There were two car seats for the boys on a lovely air-conditioned mini bus. The weather was looking fab...really warm and blue skies all around. Butterflies in my tummy in anticipation! The butterflies doubled when I caught a glance of Panoramagique and knew we were almost there! Checked in and left our bags. We met Goofy in the lobby and had fantastic interaction with him. Even though there were a lot of people around there was no scrum or anything. Goofy started pushing the two boys around in the double buggy; they didn't even notice for a few minutes! Then Goofy got IN the buggy! DS2 was really thrilled; what a great first character meet!

I was pleasantly surprised to see how close Hotel New York is to Disney Village; it's literally a 1 minute walk to Paroramagique, Cafe Mickey and Earl of Sandwich. It was a beautiful clear day so we decided to go up in the balloon. We were all a bit tired and cranky now and DS2 was a bit wary but he enjoyed it in the end. It doesn't go up as high as I thought it would, but we still saw Hotel NY, Sequoia Lodge, and Newport Bay (with scaffolding!). In the Studios we could see the stunt show, tower of terror and parts of the tram tour. In the main park we could see the Castle, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

We took our time walking through the Village, looking in some of the shops. It was getting really warm at this stage.

We had brilliant timing coming into the main park. As we arrived, 'Welcome to Spring' was on at Town Square. We didn't stop to watch but I was singing and dancing along to the music as we walked! Then as we got to Central Plaza, the Spring Promenade was on! Cue more singing and dancing (from me!).

DS2 gets excited every time he sees the castle at the beginning of a Disney movie; but for him to see it in real life was just magical! He just kept shouting, "the castle, the castle!". Although he got grumpy again when we went to see the dragon, so that was a very quick visit. A quick stop off for FP tickets for Buzz for later on and then we headed to Inventions for our Sunday Brunch reservation.

I love that smell of the DLH! How I wish we were staying here again! Maybe next time!

We had a choice of champagne or orange juice as a welcome drink. Within the first 15 minutes we had a flurry of characters visit our table. We couldn't keep up! The theme for the brunch was 'Cinema', which was Mickey & co. in 1920s outfits. We saw Mickey, Minnie, Donald & Daisy together, Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale and Clarice. Great fun with all of them, even if DS2 was a little shy. We saw most of them twice too.

And the food; wow! I loved it! I particularly loved the starters. Lots of cold seafood; I even ate a snail! Great selection of desserts too, something for everyone. The boys just wanted the sweets!

When I went to pay, they were charging me for DS2, but when I pointed out that he was under 3 they took it off the bill. We used premium vouchers but had to add to them. The current brunch price is €64 for adults and €32 for children. Premium vouchers are worth €57 for adults and €29 for children. DH had a large beer which cost €8.50.

We went back to the hotel then to get our room key. We got a lovely garden view on the first floor and there was a Thumper teddy left for DS2. Lovely room, couldn't fault it. We had a bit of a nap and then headed back to the park. Well, except for DS1 who was too excited!

We used our FP for Buzz's laser blast. This was DS1's favourite ride the last time so he was really looking forward to it. DS2 loved seeing the animatronic Buzz in the queuing area. He was in totally awe. I have to say, I got a real kick out of his reactions. Pure amazement. That's what it's all about!

After Buzz, DH went on Space Mountain while the boys and I went on Autopia. They loved this! Although our driving skills leave a lot to be desired.

We headed over to Fantasyland then as I was anxious to have a go on Dumbo because it was closed from the next day. The board said 15 minutes when we joined the queue at 6:15pm. We got off an hour later :-/ Much longer than we intended queuing on any ride, especially on the first day when we were all tired and a bit grumpy.

We went to Casey's Corner then and I queued up to use our Pause Gourmande vouchers. They refused to take them as it was past 7pm. It says 3-7pm on the vouchers but I thought they might have a bit of leeway. I was so mad and I stormed off from the till in a huff!

I picked up some sandwiches in Earl of Sandwich instead. I can see why everyone raves about this place. The sambos are delicious and it's great value. The kids meal deals, with a sandwich, dessert and drink are €7. We ate outside the hotel (still sunny). DH had a beer (€7, so €1.50 cheaper than DLH) and I had a mojito. I will try a Glowtini another night!

Got the kids into bed and asleep soon after 9pm. Wifi in the rooms so we were happy out. :)

Wow what a great first day :thumbsup2
Love the picture of you the boys and Minnie :lovestruc
Looking forward to reading more
X

Fabulous detail dhidra - no need to apologise. Beautiful photos too - love the one with Minnie. Have been showing my sister as we're staying in HNY next month and we're getting excited now. Looking forward to reading more. :thumbsup2

Day 2
Up at 7:30am but somehow we didn't make it out of the hotel until after 9! We had breakfast in Manhattan restaurant, which was lovely. Great selection and plenty of everything. Not too busy either.
Another sunny day, t-shirts, shorts and sun cream :)

We popped into the Lego store on our way to the parks and bought some make-your-own Lego figures. (E8 for 3) The boys would happily spend all day in there!

We got to the Studios at 9:45 and the queue for Crush was already all the way back to Studio One and the board said 45mins :( This was my must-do ride for this trip but I didn't want to queue for that long. We had a go on the Cars ride and Parachute drop. DS2 wasn't keen on either, well, he loved the idea of them, but when on them, said they were 'too fast!' I was surprised at that, but he was very tired after such a long day yesterday.

I went to queue for Spiderman while DH brought the boys on the Tram Tour (he loves that ride!). This was not my best idea ever, as I had to wait at the top of the outside queue, letting people go ahead of me as I waited for DH. When he arrived, we still had to queue inside for over 20 minutes. Anyway, you live and learn. Spider-Man was great! Out first time to meet a speaking character. The boys were totally starstruck!
It was almost 12 o'clock so we headed to Place des Stars to see the characters come out. There was no one around as we sat on the stage and waited. When they came out, suddenly the place was mobbed!

Each character had some CMs with them and made sure a proper queue was formed. We met Woody and Jessie, then Jafar. We wanted to meet Captain Hook but his queue was quite long and the boys were hungry.

We went to Restaurant Des Stars for lunch at 12:30. It was fairly quiet when we arrived but half an hour later there was a big queue. The buffet is E27 for adults, and E16.50 for children, including drinks. They also have us a free drink for DS2, even though we weren't paying for him as he's under 3.
It's hard not to compare this to Inventions, as we were there yesterday. It's not as fancy, and there's a smaller selection, but it's still a good buffet and a good value meal. The boys and I were delighted with the desserts; waffles and pancakes with various toppings, and plenty more besides!
Remy from Ratatouille was brought out on a chef's trolley, and all the children gathered around to see him and have photos taken.

When we came out of RdS, we saw that the next Stitch show in English was about to start. This show is interactive and great fun. Not to be missed if you have kids!

We had FP tickets for Tower of Terror so DS1 and I went on. Bad Mammy moment here, as he really didn't like it! He was ok for the first few drops, but by the last one he had had enough! I had to buy him a pin in the shop to calm him down afterwards! Some great merchandise in that shop actually, I bought a lovely black and white scarf for myself with a subtle Mickey head pattern on it, it was E20.
DH went on ToT then with the baby switch ticket (just ask the CM for this when you're joining the queue and your partner can skip the queue when you return).

We watched the parade on an outside curve with Place des Stars behind us. Great view.

At 3pm we successfully used our Pause Gourmande vouchers! We got yummy Magnum ice cream bars at Restaurant EnCoulisse in Studio One, along with bottles of water and orange juice.

We decided to go back to the main park as the boys were keen to go on Buzz's laser blast again. We got Fastpasses for that and then went on Carousel du Lancelot and the Teacups, with about a 15min queue for both. Back for Buzz, a big hit again, and then we went over to Adventureland. The parade was about to start and it was a bit difficult to get through the crowds, but it was worth it, as Pirates of the Carribean was a walk-on by the time we got there! We explored the pirate ship, skull rock and all the caves, and it was lovely a cool there. A great way to escape the heat.

It was almost time for our dinner reservation so we made our way to Auberge de Cendrillion. It was very quiet when we arrived (6:30pm), so before we even had a chance to order, we met Suzy and all three princesses! We met Cinderella and Prince Charming, Sleeping Beauty and Ariel. The boys were a bit shy so we just had autographs and photos.

We used our Premium Half Board Vouchers, which make quite a saving at this restaurant (E9 for adults and E7 for children), plus you get a free drink aswell. The meal was nice, but I was glad we didn't pay for DS2 as the two boys didn't even finish one meal shared between them. All the Princesses came back to our table a second time, and DS1 came out of his shell! He had great interaction with them, especially Ariel and Sleeping Beauty, and was telling them all sorts of stories! They were so polite, they chatted away to him about everything. DS told 'Sleepy Beauty' (as he calls her!) that he was going to chop off Malificent's head! She was trying very hard not to laugh!

When we came out of ADC Fantasyland was fairly quiet, so we had a go on Peter Pan, Pinocchio and Snow White, all with minimal queues. The boys were flagging at this stage, so DH brought them back to the hotel, while I went to get a balloon for DS2's birthday the next day.

We got some beers from the bar to bring them up to the room. DH had great plans to walk to the Esso station near Hotel Santa Fe but I think he had had enough walking!

Reviews:
Auberge: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51560259#post51560259

Wow what a fab day Dee :)
You have meal sold on the princess meal :thumbsup2
Great pics what a lovely family you have :goodvibes
Looking forward to the next instalment x

Wow what a fab day Dee :) You have meal sold on the princess meal :thumbsup2 Great pics what a lovely family you have :goodvibes Looking forward to the next instalment x
Thanks Rachael! I posted pics of the blue lagoon menu in the review thread. you're not gonna be happy with me though *** I discovered that I only got the set menus, not the a la carte :(

Another great day Dhidra and lovely photos. Your boys look very close in age - what's the difference between them? I ask because my 2 boys were just 18 months apart and from a certain age they looked like twins - they still do and are still best friends at 23 and 21. :hug:

Off to look at the BL thread to see the menu. x

Thanks Rachael! I posted pics of the blue lagoon menu in the review thread. you're not gonna be happy with me though *** I discovered that I only got the set menus, not the a la carte :(
No worry Dee I think this is where the confusion comes in every body gets a di menu your dif to the one I had as we where on a dif meal plan.
I'm going to book for 3 o'clock one afternoon thinking it won't be busy.
Have my final meal plan :)
Looking forward to more Dee
Xx

Great start Dee. Looking forward to more. Your boys are dotes x

Another great day Dhidra and lovely photos. Your boys look very close in age - what's the difference between them? I ask because my 2 boys were just 18 months apart and from a certain age they looked like twins - they still do and are still best friends at 23 and 21. :hug: Off to look at the BL thread to see the menu. x
There's 33 months between them but DS2 is getting really tall. They fight A LOT but are starting to play together better so I really hope they will be best buds like your two <3

No worry Dee I think this is where the confusion comes in every body gets a di menu your dif to the one I had as we where on a dif meal plan. I'm going to book for 3 o'clock one afternoon thinking it won't be busy. Have my final meal plan :) Looking forward to more Dee Xx
I'd say you'll be fine to just order desserts and tea when it's quiet. Will you go somewhere else for dinner?

Day 3 - DS2's 3rd Birthday

Up at 7:30am and DS2 opened his presents.

The boys decided that today was dress up day and dressed as Peter Pan and a Pirate. Both costumes came with a foam sword which suits them down to the ground! They can fight away without hurting each other :) Breakfast for some reason was in the New York Bar. The food was the same but it's not ideal to eat off a low table.

Again it was after 9 before we left the hotel but we were in the park quickly enough. I went on Space Mountain while DH took the boys on Buzz, both were walk ons. Buzz stopped 4 times during the ride so they got really high scores. :-D
After that we did Orbitron and I brought DS1 on Star Tours. When we got on first, he got scared as he thought it was going to be like Tower of Terror, but he loved it in the end.

We headed over to Frontierland then, stopping off at the Castle on the way to fight the dragon with our swords. :-) First stop in Frontierland was a trip on the Molly Brown. The weather was warm and it was a lovely ride.

DH and DS1 went on Big Thunder Mountain with FP tickets and no waiting. DS loved this!
It was coming close to lunchtime so we made our way out of Frontierland.

We went into City Hall to get a birthday sticker for DS2. He also had a phone call from Mickey Mouse and was delighted with it! When we came out into Town Square we had a really magical moment. The 'Welcome to Spring' cast were between shows and four of the Main Street USA residents spotted DS2 in his costume with his birthday sticker and came over and made a big fuss of him and sang Happy Birthday! I got all teary!

We watched 'Welcome to Spring', which I really, really loved. There were about 20 Main St residents singing and dancing at the Gazebo and the top of Main St. It's impossible not to dance and sang along to 'clang, clang, clang went the trolley'!

We had a lunch reservation for Cafe Mickey at 12:30. It was fairly busy when we got there but we still saw all the characters fairly quickly. We saw Mickey, Rabbit, Eeyore, Goofy and Mr Smee. Smee started jumping up and down when he saw our pirate and Peter Pan! We had great fun with him and he came back to the table a few times.

We ordered a Pizza and two Garlic Pizza breads between us and it was plenty. Tasty too. We had ordered a birthday cake for dessert and if was brought out by Eeyore. Another magical moment here, DS2 was thrilled and was clapping along with everyone with a big smile on his face. The birthday cake is yummy but far too big for 4 people!

While we were in Cafe Mickey it started to rain and sadly it didn't really stop for the rest of the day. :( We were very glad to be so close to our hotel, and we went back there for an afternoon nap so we could stay up for Dreams later.

I had to wake everyone after 2.5hours! We got changed into warmer clothes and took out the raincoats. We walked down to the park to watch the parade before our booking at BBWWS. I had intended on watching the parade where it starts at IASW so we could make a quick exit but we were too late, so we got a spot at Central Plaza outside Casey's corner. As it happens, the parade was delayed, but we stayed where we were. I used our PG vouchers in Victorias to have later. They had Brioche and little fruit loafs. The boys loved the parade; they waved at everyone, especially DS2, he didn't stop his little left-handed wave for the whole parade! A few of the dancers came over to him to say Happy Birthday. DS1 was delighted to see Sleepy Beauty again but wasn't impressed that she had changed her dress!

We cut up through Liberty Arcade to go to BBWWS. We used our Premium Meal Vouchers, and again made a good saving here (E5 for adults and E18 on the child price). We paid for a seat and meal for DS2, as we didn't have a voucher for him, and I was surprised to see that the price had gone up from E42 to E47. We all really enjoyed the show and the meal. We were in the very back row of block D but could still see perfectly. I would definitely recommend going to this show. I got a great laugh out of Buffalo Bill's attempt at speaking French in his American accent! I think it was the same guy that we saw there in 2006. The boys enjoyed the clapping, plate banging, feet stamping, hat swinging and yee haw-ing!

When we came out of BBs we found that our double buggy had been DRENCHED. Puddles of water in the seats and the baskets. :( I had to bring it back to the hotel (again, glad we were close by) to try dry it off. DH brought the boys to buy more Lego! Our raincoats were in the baskets and were soaked too. I put some bath towels on the seats so the boys could sit on them but they absorbed the wet and were soaked almost straight away.

We plodded along anyway and headed for Frontierland, stopping off at Boardwalk Candy Palace for candy canes and marshmallows (yum!). DS1 and I went on BTM. I remembered the tip to go left and it saved us about 5-10mins! Then DH and DS1 went on Phantom Manor; DS2 had been keen but changed his mind when we got to the door.

It was raining again so we went into a shop and ended up over €52 lighter of pocket after buying ponchos and a blanket. Needless to say, it stopped raining then! But the fleece blanket was a great buy as it was huge and I was able to put it on the seats of the buggy and over the boys knees aswell.

At 10:10 We sat on one of the benches at the Royal Castle stage to watch Dreams. I went to get tea and coffee for DH & I. When I came back and sat down beside DH, a woman beside me said she was keeping the seat for her husband; I don't think so, we were here first! Dreams was amazing. Really spectacular. Loved it from beginning to end. I was glad we had all stayed up for it as the boys loved it too.

Back to the hotel and crashed into bed, exhausted!

Fantastic start to your trip report just read through day 1 & 2 your photos are amazing and the little guys look so so happy! Lots of great interaction and what a way to celebrate a birthday! Looking forward to more;)

You where so right about that Peter Pan costume Dee he looks Soooo cute :)
Great day even with the rain
I love bbwws 5 mths today I will be wearing one of those cow boy hats :woohoo:
Looking forward to more xx

Really lovely again dhidra. Your Cafe Mickey photos are fab - I really hope we get as good interaction there for sister's birthday meal.

We really enjoyed BBWWS last year but are not repeating it this year. We were sat right at the back as my sister can't manage the stairs. It was so dark we couldn't see our food and we had to go in and out via the kitchens - not ideal.

We arrive on the day the Spring Season ends and will miss Welcome to Spring so it's great to see your photos of it.

Also loved our trip on the Molly Brown last year but it looks soooo much better in sunshine. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter