• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Training at WWoS?

jlb727

Mouseketeer
Has anyone heard any news or rumors about whether a MLB team will replace the Braves at Champion Field for Spring Training starting next year? My DH and DS really liked attending Spring Training games there.

I certainly agree that I don't believe any team will lose their spring training to WWOS unless Disney waves good bit of money in front of them. While it's a good set up for them is too far away for most of the other spring training sites.

I certainly agree that I don't believe any team will lose their spring training to WWOS unless Disney waves good bit of money in front of them. While it's a good set up for them is too far away for most of the other spring training sites.
It makes more sense to build a facility on the coast where your minor league can play after spring training. Seems to be the norm right now, and I think my Tigers are the last team in the middle of the state (Lakeland)

The facilities are well below par for a major league team which is the main reason the Braves are moving. Unless they do a major upgrade to the facilities, there wont be another MLB team moving to WWOS.

The facilities are well below par for a major league team which is the main reason the Braves are moving. Unless they do a major upgrade to the facilities, there wont be another MLB team moving to WWOS.
And they won’t upgrade the facility because it doesn’t geographically make sense for a team to move there.

While I think it’s super cool the braves and buccaneers did their preseason work outs there, times change

Would probably take Disney investing in sports team ownership again to warrant them pulling in a team to use those facilities.

I don't believe there are any plans for the short-term, but Orlando could host a MLB spring training facility in the future. Orlando is more shielded from hurricane damage than the coastal facilities.

Most teams use their spring training facility all year round. Municipalities are willing to throw a lot of money to a team to bring them to their area and will build them a nice facility with all sorts of amenities they need. Disney doesn't want to spend money to upgrade the facility, they want to make money from the team. I doubt any team will move there.

Spring training to me is always a crap shoot anyway, you don't know who you will see. You could get the 2nd tier in a split squad game and not know any of the players. It can still be fun, but the prices they charged for non competitive games is outrageous. I rarely go to spring staining games. The Fire Frogs are a high A ball club not far from Disney and all seats are $10.

Spring training to me is always a crap shoot anyway, you don't know who you will see. You could get the 2nd tier in a split squad game and not know any of the players. It can still be fun, but the prices they charged for non competitive games is outrageous. I rarely go to spring staining games. The Fire Frogs are a high A ball club not far from Disney and all seats are $10.

I completely agree. There are also plenty of colleges around central Florida that offer solid baseball entertainment at much less cost (and usually have more free giveaways). I think the spring training lure, in Florida, is mostly aimed at the snow birds.

I also say this tongue-in-cheek as my father had a 30+ year career in MLB. So even though we could always get free tickets to any MLB/college game, spring training was nothing more than a visit to the facility and not the players or the team.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter