Spur of the moment New Years Eve trip - opinions needed

Poly-Or-Boardwalk

Earning My Ears
Longtime lurker, finally coming out to post. :)

Our seven year old has had a particularly hard year at school and we planned a very impromptu trip to WDW between Christmas and New Years (I know, I know, you don't have to tell me, I know! My husband is a teacher and a coach and we don't get the luxury of choosing).

I have been many times, but I have never ever been over New Years. I understand it is insane (although dining and FP were not hard). However, I do need resort opinions and help. We opted to go the cheap route - Pop Century. I've stayed here and I like it fine. My husband and daughter have only done deluxe, but they shouldn't mind too much.

I am considering Coronado because a) it's open and b) slightly nicer and c) less people
The price difference is not that much - maybe $400.

What I am really interested to know is from people that have stayed at Pop or Coronado and how the bussing was. Doubly interested if you've stayed at either during a high time, or if you've stayed at both and can offer opinions. My experience at Pop was great bus service, but that was summertime.

Thanks! :)

Well I've stayed everywhere except the cabins and if we can't stay deluxe we stay at CSR. It is by far our favorite moderate. They are doing full room remodels right now but it shouldn't bother you too much since its a building at a time. I think the bus system is great. There's 4 stops and only the one at El Centro gets slightly crowded at times. We prefer the cabanas section so I would request that.

We have stayed at Pop over the Christmas week for the past two years. Bus service is always amazing during our summer trips at Pop, but it was better than ever over Christmas week. :thumbsup2

CSR bus service is good. I think that if your DH is used to Deluxe they may like this resort, it is kind of Deluxe Lite.

I have never stayed at POP, but I have not read one review where kids were disappointed. I think that the theming at the values is a big draw for kids.

Two of my favorite resorts!!!

CSR bus is one of the best and a central location so none long.

If your others are used to deluxe - go with CSR. It's the deluxe of moderates. After one stay at POP for DH, he told me never again! No values for him. I still stay with kids though. DH loves CSR, as do kids.

It's already going to be crowded, let you hotel be a little nicer retreat.

Agree with PPs who recommend CSR, especially regarding good bus service, central location, and "deluxe light" feel. It's truly beautiful at night! One of the things folks sometimes don't like about CSR are the conventions/large number of adults on business trips there - you won't have that when you're there! I'm sure there will be lots of kids around.

Personal opinion only - I stayed at Pop once, on a solo trip. Will not do so again. Nothing was bad about it, but it simply wasn't as nice as I like. Felt like a business trip in an inexpensive hotel when I was in the room. I know many love it; it's just not my thing.

We have DVC so use to staying deluxe. We ran out of points at Christmas and booked CSR. We were wondering how it would be but were delighted with it! The lights, lake, food court. Staff. Pools. Busee were ok.

We really loved the place!

Thanks all!

I should add that my first choice would have been AoA because this is the only trip we have ever taken with just our seven year old. We always take my stepkids on vacation (20, 16 & 14) to Disney. They complain about the look of values :rolleyes: so we have never done it. Part of me wanted to do value for my daughter, who I think would be amused by it.

On the flip side, we really like the nicer pool scene, love hot tubs, bigger beds, etc. Hence, Coronado.

It sounds like both have really great bus service though, which is my top concern with the NYE crowds!

Since the trip is for her and it's her first without her half siblings, and you think she'd like it, go for pop!

I hope I don't get in trouble for bumping up a year old thread, but I'm looking at doing the same type of trip this year. We're looking at POP, mostly out of familiarity...it's one of our family's favorites. Outside of the fireworks at MK, do the resorts have any New Years Eve festivities, such as a countdown?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter