Square 1....again.

MinnieMommy07

Mouseketeer
So after being really set on going to WDW this year and booking CBR, plans have changed. Due to financial reasons and time constraints, its probably just best in the end to go next year. :(

Which gives me some extra time to plan- my absolute favorite part!

We did however look at a possible alternatives to get us there sooner- ie POP Century which just got the ball rolling at poring again through all new pictures and reviews which, you know, of course, leads to other resort pics and reviews and the rest is history.

I am now left with a list of "possibles" for next year. It will give us time to save and also mean a little more as it will be our daughter's tenth birthday. :).

So.... The list.

POP.... So cute. great picture opportunities. Affordable. Compact. Love the Disneyana. Not thrilled about the pools really and the landscaping seems a tad sparse.

CBR.... Holy tropical. We love Palm trees just blowing in the breeze. This resort seems so lush and gorgeous. There really isn't much as far as "Disney" reminders go however. When I show pics to my daughter she doesn't think its really Disney. It is really gorgeous though.

POR.... For some reason I just can't sell my hubby on this one. But it is secretly my favorite. There are so many adorable nods to characters and the theme is so well executed. I'd love to try the boat to disney springs for ice cream, lunch and wod store...and am up in the air to splurge on a royal room.... Although I love the other mansion rooms so much- especially the new headboards :).
I think it's the lack of Palm trees ;) that he doesn't like and the industrial look of the main area and pools. I agree with that. Old man island does look a little packed in a lot of pictures. It seems so nice and shady though which trust me is a good thing lol!

CSR.... During our research, we came across a few pics of CSR that prompted us to take inventory on it. The pool looks great. It is huge! We were so disappointed looking at how crowded the little POP pools were. We swim everyday before the Parks so that is a big deal. It also has a lot of little Disney nods (daughter loves Burrito and the Caballeros) that we like. Pepper market sounds more relaxing than others but not a deal breaker. Palm trees are blowing around everywhere and the resorts seems more compact than CBR and por. Reviews really tempt us as most are surprised at its relaxing atmosohere and it is seems much more demure and refined.

I really am in the mood for a moderate resort next go. I need to have some "slow down" time. We loved the All Stars but I have seen pics of POP from the same time we went and it just looks so packed. My daughter also seems to do a little better behaviourally when she is not on sensory overload, lol.

I think CSR is now ahead just because everyone has said ok to that one so far..... I just can't seem to sell daughter on CBR..... They can't sell me 100% on POP even though if it comes to it I'll take it.... Me and daughter like POR Royal or mansion rooms and the DSprings boat but lack of Palm trees are just kind of a downer. (Pofq never really piqued our interest BTW).

Any thoughts? Is Disney springs worth a visit anyways for a vacation where time is always of the essence? It looks so cute, lol.

Sheesh. See everyone on the "which mod?" Boards, lol!

Just book CSR (it's huge by the way) and plan some resort-visiting time.

They don't plant palm trees in places where it's supposed to be Louisiana, like POR. :) I love POR. It is appropriately themed and planted for the area it is trying to be.

(In CA it's about $20k to plant a mature palm tree, just one, isn't that amazing? Wonder what the cost is in FL when they are landscaping)

Have you looked at trip reports for pictures from normal people, by the way?

The CSR pool is indeed huge. Not sure how early you swim but if the slide is part of the intended experience, make sure you aren't swimming before that's open. The slides close bed ore the pool does, and I don't know if it opens well after the pool opens. Find out before booking, if that's important.

Yes I always use "real" pictures and trip reports to help figure out our next visit. I always wish there was a Disney resort tour. I would totally do that! We always dropped and picked up CSR on DME so we had a mini preview. It is gorgeous and everyone seemed upset leaving lol!

We loved our stay at Coronado Springs this past November - I would definitely stay there again. I like to have the break from the sensory overload. The pool was really nice and you can eat breakfast at the Siestas snack bar there at the pool site. The grounds are beautiful and the size wasn't as intimidating as a lot of folks make it out to be. Where ever you stay, what a great 10th birthday trip!

What about the French quarter? You can have palm trees and the boat to Disney springs.

I'd go with a mod. They hsve better landscaping, larger rooms with Queen beds, pool slides, and POR has some extras like the boat to DTD, fun evening entertainment, carriage rides, fishing hole, and the resort is beautiful. I've never seen anything industrial looking about the lobby :confused3.
The mansions are great. We request either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace near footbridge. Our last stay we were in a Royal Room, they're super cute. I was always curious. So now that I've tried them, I'll go back to booking regular garden room. We did enjoy them, so don't feel the need to pay up charge again. I'm glad we stayed once.

Sue reminded me of my "huh?" moment when I read your post.

POR....
I think it's the lack of Palm trees ;) that he doesn't like and the industrial look of the main area and pools. I agree with that.

I can't think of any part of POR that looks industrial.

I would book a mod -either CSR or POR.

CSR
this is my personal favorite. Very nicely south western themed. Great pool area and large hot tub. Many good dining options. Extra amenities like a beauty salon and fitness center. I know buses shouldn't be a huge factor, but we always seem to get great bus service here. This resort has an amazing atmosphere, especially at night.
I would book either preferred or business class. If booking standard, request Casitas 4 for a really convenient location.

POR
this is DH favorite. There may not be palm trees, but the grounds are lush and beautiful! Ole man island is actually quite nice and is currently undergoing a refurb, so take a look at pics when it is finished to see if you like the changes. Yee haa Bob, carriage rides and a walkway to POFQ are all nice, as well as the boat to DS. BTW, DS is not a place that I like much at all' but that is just my opinion. Many people like a visit here. I prefer to spend my time at the resort or in the major theme parks. Nothing much here but stuff you can see anywhere, IMO.

GOOD LUCK CHOOSING!

Love CSR. Great pool and the rooms are gorgeous. Look at POFQ also. It is full of southern charm and it is very compact.

Did not like CBR at all. Only resort I can say that about.

Of the moderates, I would recommend CSR or POFQ. Our 2 favorites. CSR has the best pool of any mod, and a few extras because it is a convention hotel. POFQ is so much smaller than any of the other moderates and everything is close and convenient.

I have personally stopped staying moderate because I can rent DVC points pretty much the same price. It isn't for everyone, but we go through a rental company so there is a little more piece of mind there. You have to be SURE of your travel dates and where you want to stay because there is no changing it once you book, but I find its worth it to stay deluxe for basically half price.

So I've still been lurking the CSR site and getting scared about some stories.... The conventions seem to get a bad rap especially for the fact that it can force the pool and beaches closed....

I am still trying to get hubby to consider POR. As far as "industrial".. I mean the mill, the water tower thingies and the bayou buildings. Industrial was probably the wrong word, lol. I love it. I just can't sell him on it....

I think we get a bigger sense of appreciation for each resort when the trivia is there behind it. I was telling him the cool backstory of the port Orleans history and how it connects to Disney springs by boat which was fun. Anymore cool Disney stories would be great.

So I've still been lurking the CSR site and getting scared about some stories.... The conventions seem to get a bad rap especially for the fact that it can force the pool and beaches closed....

I am still trying to get hubby to consider POR. As far as "industrial".. I mean the mill, the water tower thingies and the bayou buildings. Industrial was probably the wrong word, lol. I love it. I just can't sell him on it....

I think we get a bigger sense of appreciation for each resort when the trivia is there behind it. I was telling him the cool backstory of the port Orleans history and how it connects to Disney springs by boat which was fun. Anymore cool Disney stories would be great.
ANY large crowd at ANY resort can force pools closed. CSR isn't the only convention resort, and it's not the only resort that sees pool capacity closures.

I will say, while Pop might "look sparse", it really isn't. Near the hippy dippy is one of my most favorite views on property. The gorgeous colors of Pop, the palm trees, and some sticky Florida air. BLISS!!

try 2.jpg

You can find negative reviews of anything. If you e been on tripadvisor it's even worse.

Later I'll see if I have some good pics of the things you mentioned at POR. To me POR feels lush and like the outskirts of New Orleans, like being in the Garden District. That's not what it was themed to, but New Orleans is the only part of LA I stopped in. :)

We loved CSR when we went! It's huge and beautiful. POR is my favorite as well and hope to stay there one day!

OK, I went and looked up pictures of the mill itself, and I think I get what he means by industrial. When I hear that word I think of concrete. Modern industry. The mill though it old fashioned industry. So he feels that they are big sort of granary type buildings with farming-style of industry, maybe something like that?

I can see that. It doesn't bother me, though; I don't even have a picture of the mill, I had to go to google, because I either never saw it or didn't notice it. I was paying attention to the river, the plushness and lushness of it all.

I never even *saw* the bayou buildings, because both times we've been there we have been in the Magnolia etc type of buildings. So I can't speak to those.

All the resorts you mention are great; I don't think you would dislike your stay at any of them.

I've stayed at POR and adored it. Just beautiful. It feels very Southern to me and not industrial. The boat is a plus no matter where it takes you! I feel that it is a fun resort, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter