SSH! Don't tell! Bought souviniers on Ebay!

I LOVE it. I want one but they are 8.5" way too big, can you adjust the clasp??? I think it's a great little gift, looks like it's shipped from Hong Kong. The girl at the Disney Outlet said lots of people buy their sovies there instead of hauling them back from WDW. I actually have sold stuff I bought at Disney World on Ebay and I have bought some, so it can be done.

I always wonder about the stuff from Hong Kong.....do they use the same metals and such or is there a chance of it making you sick? I've ordered a few items like the jibbitz for our crocs from sellers out of Hong Kong and figured it would be fine since the kids weren't wearing it close to their skin.....I don't know. Maybe I'm just too paranoid LOL

Some people here will tell you it's not a real souvenir if not bought on vacation but I disagree. I already have most of the stuff purchased for our upcoming trip. The girls will get gifts every night from Tinkerbell. This saves me a ton of money, and my girls will have no idea I bought it ahead of time. Oh, and if I bring myself, at least I know it will fit in our luggage on the way back. Smart!

Did you ever look at where ALL the stuff here in the US is made? I jsut cut out the middle man. And don't flame me for buying from overseas and putting our own people out of work.

I did this as well, and actually LUGGED the stuff down there to use as Tink Gifts. Talk about going too far. I usually do.

We watched 4 kids every weekend for a year while their dad was in Afghanistan. I bought t-shirts at the Disney Store for 4.99 each before we left. I felt guilty, but was glad I did it. The kids loved them!

I'm not understanding how something purchased from Ebay can be considered a souvenir from anywhere? Isn't the point of a 'souvenir' supposed to be something purchased from the vacation destination? An ebay or dollar store puchase would be a 'gift', not a souvenir.

Some people here will tell you it's not a real souvenir if not bought on vacation but I disagree. I already have most of the stuff purchased for our upcoming trip. The girls will get gifts every night from Tinkerbell. This saves me a ton of money, and my girls will have no idea I bought it ahead of time. Oh, and if I bring myself, at least I know it will fit in our luggage on the way back. Smart!

I am one of those people.

I am one of those people.

Me too. So you intend to lie to someone and tell them you brought something back from WDW for them, when it really came from Ebay? I would rather not get anything from one of my friends if they were so low on funds that they had to resort to that.

Sorry, but doing something like that is being cheap, not being thrifty. I'm sure you could find something very inexpensive to bring back to give to your friends. Is the whole point supposed to be "Hey, I though of you on vacation. So I brought you a little something"?

Me too. So you intend to lie to someone and tell them you brought something back from WDW for them, when it really came from Ebay? I would rather not get anything from one of my friends if they were so low on funds that they had to resort to that.

Sorry, but doing something like that is being cheap, not being thrifty. I'm sure you could find something very inexpensive to bring back to give to your friends. Is the whole point supposed to be "Hey, I though of you on vacation. So I brought you a little something"?

Or you could say, "Thank you for walking the dog. I bought you a little gift." How would that be lying?

Or you could say, "Thank you for walking the dog. I bought you a little gift." How would that be lying?

It would still be lying by omission. Otherwise why not say "I didn't want to spend too much on you, so I got you something off of Ebay"?

Souvenirs are defined as a reminder of a person, place or even. How does getting something off of Ebay say "Hey, I thought of you on my trip"? What that really says is "Hey, I knew you expected something from my trip. Here is an item not from my trip, but I think I can pass if off as from my trip As long as you don't know the difference we are good".

Then I won't add you to my gift list. :)

What's the difference...gift or sovie? It's the THOUGHT that counts. OP just wants to do something nice....Geez!:confused3

I can see both sides to this situation, but I'm choosing to stay out of it. :confused3

Autographs are free and photos cost 15 cents to develop at Walgreens.

Make a cute little photo keepsake with a picture and autograph from their favorite Disney character if you can manage it. I have done this and it has been a huge success. :lovestruc

It would still be lying by omission. Otherwise why not say "I didn't want to spend too much on you, so I got you something off of Ebay"?

Souvenirs are defined as a reminder of a person, place or even. How does getting something off of Ebay say "Hey, I thought of you on my trip"? What that really says is "Hey, I knew you expected something from my trip. Here is an item not from my trip, but I think I can pass if off as from my trip As long as you don't know the difference we are good".

Holy crap -- really? How is this nice little Mickey bracelet not a reminder of the person that gave it to her? The gift recipient didn't go to Disney World, so therefore, any gift isn't truly a souvenier anyway, by your description. I think the OP is doing something cute and nice by buying little gifts to thank people after her trip.

And how is saying "I got you a little gift" lying by omission? They did buy the bracelet, they didn't steal them. Just because you don't think it is expensive enough has nothing to do with it. Oh man, this is really on my nerves. I can't stand how jusgemental this board can get sometimes. I just don't get it. :headache:

Holy crap -- really? How is this nice little Mickey bracelet not a reminder of the person that gave it to her? The gift recipient didn't go to Disney World, so therefore, any gift isn't truly a souvenier anyway, by your description. I think the OP is doing something cute and nice by buying little gifts to thank people after her trip.

And how is saying "I got you a little gift" lying by omission? They did buy the bracelet, they didn't steal them. Just because you don't think it is expensive enough has nothing to do with it. Oh man, this is really on my nerves. I can't stand how jusgemental this board can get sometimes. I just don't get it. :headache:

It has nothing to do with how much something costs. As I said before, you can buy something small that actually came from WDW, and have it really be a souvenir. You don't have to pre-order off of Ebay and pass it off as coming from WDW.

A souvenir is something brought back from a trip. It means something thought of you while on vacation. It shouldn't be ordered ahead of time. Then it isn't a souvenir.

It is nice to give people gifts. But to pass them off as being from someplace they are not is just wrong, imho. And saying shh don't tell sure seems to say that is the OP intends to pass them of as being from WDW. How about the OP give them before the trip and say "Here is a little something from me to you"? Then there is no subterfuge, no question of it being a souvenir when it is not.

I think it's nice that you bought her anything at all. I think buying something from eBay is no different than buying something at the airport...unless she's snooty (I have family that is odd about where you buy things) she shouldn't care where it came from.

Such a good idea! What kind of stuff does Tink leave? Just looking for ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter