SSR: Gorgeous resort but won't be back. recent pics

eliza61

DIS Veteran
Just back from 6 days at Saratoga Springs resort. While we had a great time and there were absolutely no major issues, SSR is The prettiest resort that I'll never stay in again.;)
So the merry band included Myself, my two sons lovingly known as Sid the squid and Rizzo the Rat and my 13 yo neice, the padawan.

While others dream of fame and fortune, my goal in life is really easy, stay in every deluxe resort at Disney and this time it was SSR up to bat.

SSR is based on the horse racing resort in Upstate New York and as always Disney's attention to detail is superb. They really have elevated the art of themes to a new height. Every corner of this resort speaks to it's horse racing heritage with some tasteful references to famous Disney horses from various movies.

Upon arrival your first stop is the Carriage house. Outside you'll find a gorgeous replic of a horse drawn carriage.

DSC_0652_zpsdb842169.jpg

DSC_0649_zpsad501cd3.jpg

You'll also find the winners circle:

DSC_0648_zps002cdfc7.jpg

Inside you will check in and it's also where you will find the Artist Palette (quick service), the turf club and an entrance to one of the resorts 3 pools. this one called High rock springs

DSC_0656_zps1f0d1151.jpg

One of the charms of SSR is also the thing we did not care for. It is Huge and sprawling. We were in Paddock 6735 and it can be quite a walk to get back to the carriage house. You definitely need a car for this one. Along the back of the villas is a beautiful walking path that takes you from most villas to the carriage house with lots of horsey details

DSC_0639_zpsef38cfd8.jpg

DSC_0640_zps743b26a4.jpg

DSC_0638_zps3d9f8856.jpg

DSC_0637_zps1006db31.jpg

DSC_0636_zpsae51ecd3.jpg

nice pics.....

Why won't you go back?

che

It was just a little too sprawling for us. The walk from our villa to the pool seemed so far.

Hi Eliza :wave2:
Beautiful pictures! We haven't stayed at SSR for several years and are very much looking forward to our October visit. Isn't it funny, the thing that you don't like - the vast, sprawling nature of the resort - is what we find appealing. DDad and I enjoy the walks, the fountains, the architecture and love those rockers! Especially the ones down by the river. An early morning boat ride up for the beignets is fun too.
So glad you had a nice time and that your boys could make the trip with you. Looks like you had beautiful weather!
I'll stay tuned for the next edition.....

We were in a THV this past June and loved the resort. Walked daily to Grandstand or Springs for the pool, food, or to catch a bus. My daughter and I ran early mornings and we had so much fun seeing every section and comparing the villas, pools, etc. It's my home resort and I love it, but my DH who is not in the greatest shape prefers BCV, and also felt it was too big. I love both, but each has it's positives and negative, but mostly :thumbsup2

It was just a little too sprawling for us. The walk from our villa to the pool seemed so far.

Gotcha....our home is OKW and although people say it is sprawling, we don't mind. I have heard that SSR is a bit much....you just confirm it.

thanks

Che

Great pics...do you have any of the interior/rooms? We're considering trying out SSR...but I can't commit b/c I'm not sure I'll like the decor.

Gotcha....our home is OKW and although people say it is sprawling, we don't mind. I have heard that SSR is a bit much....you just confirm it.

thanks

Che

It's all personal perspective. We don't find SSR any larger than OKW, or any of the moderates.

Just back from 6 days at Saratoga Springs resort. While we had a great time and there were absolutely no major issues, SSR is The prettiest resort that I'll never stay in again.;)
So the merry band included Myself, my two sons lovingly known as Sid the squid and Rizzo the Rat and my 13 yo neice, the padawan.

While others dream of fame and fortune, my goal in life is really easy, stay in every deluxe resort at Disney and this time it was SSR up to bat.

SSR is based on the horse racing resort in Upstate New York and as always Disney's attention to detail is superb. They really have elevated the art of themes to a new height. Every corner of this resort speaks to it's horse racing heritage with some tasteful references to famous Disney horses from various movies.

Upon arrival your first stop is the Carriage house. Outside you'll find a gorgeous replic of a horse drawn carriage.

DSC_0652_zpsdb842169.jpg

DSC_0649_zpsad501cd3.jpg

You'll also find the winners circle:

DSC_0648_zps002cdfc7.jpg

Inside you will check in and it's also where you will find the Artist Palette (quick service), the turf club and an entrance to one of the resorts 3 pools. this one called High rock springs

DSC_0656_zps1f0d1151.jpg

There are 4 pools. One at Paddocks, Congress Park, Main pool and Grandstand. Great photos.

Hi Eliza :wave2:
Beautiful pictures! We haven't stayed at SSR for several years and are very much looking forward to our October visit. Isn't it funny, the thing that you don't like - the vast, sprawling nature of the resort - is what we find appealing. DDad and I enjoy the walks, the fountains, the architecture and love those rockers! Especially the ones down by the river. An early morning boat ride up for the beignets is fun too.
So glad you had a nice time and that your boys could make the trip with you. Looks like you had beautiful weather!
I'll stay tuned for the next edition.....

Hey Di,
It is wonderful for strolling and we saw tons of joggers out in the early morning. Loved the walk to dtd. Is that considered the back of the resort?

DSC_0665_zps0d700606.jpg

DSC_0663_zps96d9c197.jpg

DSC_0669_zpsae3fedd3.jpg

DSC_0666_zpsf511b695.jpg

I know there is probably some functional reason for the drainage pipes to be violet but I thought it was so cool and another example of detailing disney does so well

DSC_0673_zpsd6643433.jpg

Thank you and great pictures.

We have stayed here twice and have no problems going back again. Lately we have booked quiet a few trips a few months prior and SSR, OKW and AKV are available. No complaints. It's great that there are so many resorts to choose from and there is one or two for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter