• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR Lovers and Owners Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think from everyone's feedback that we are going to make the Paddock area our first choice. Hopefully near the pool. We love to walk too. If we get a location near the pool area how far is the walk to Downtown Disney? This has got to be the most helpful thread on the Disboard.

I think from everyone's feedback that we are going to make the Paddock area our first choice. Hopefully near the pool. We love to walk too. If we get a location near the pool area how far is the walk to Downtown Disney? This has got to be the most helpful thread on the Disboard.
great choice! It would depend which Paddocks building you were in and how fast you walk. The nearest one to DTD would take the average person about 10 mins. The furthest about 20 mins. So I would allow an average of 15 mins. It is actually a lovely walk. I get there on my scooter in 7 mins! But my partner walks with me so when we go together we go at walkers pace :-) I love the walk along the river looking out over DTD. We are coming in May for one glorious week. I can"t wait! Any more questions happy to help! Paula

Where does the pathway lead to Downtown Disney? Is it near the boat dock? In all the times I've been to Disney, I can't ever say I noticed the path to SSR.

Where does the pathway lead to Downtown Disney? Is it near the boat dock? In all the times I've been to Disney, I can't ever say I noticed the path to SSR.
For the old path, you had to walk out of Downtown Disney to the sidewalk on Buena Vista Drive. The new path that's being built will have a bridge that connects to the area near the Rainforest Cafe.

Thanks BirdsOfPreyDave! Can anyone tell me what choices you have if you do online check in? Are there specific areas of the resort you can request or is it near pool, upper floor - that sort of thing? Thanks again everyone! :goodvibes

You get two choices from a list that includes each section, near pool, near transportation, near Springs, floor level, near elevator, near DtD path. I'm sure I forgot some.

My family just booked our first stay at SSR for June :cool1:

Staying on cash reservations, in a two BR villa accessible. Was wondering if accessible villas are in all sections/ buildings or does anyone have a map of where they are located?

Also wondering, do all of the villas have balconies? From looking at the pictures it doesn't seem like they do.

My family just booked our first stay at SSR for June :cool1:

Staying on cash reservations, in a two BR villa accessible. Was wondering if accessible villas are in all sections/ buildings or does anyone have a map of where they are located?

Also wondering, do all of the villas have balconies? From looking at the pictures it doesn't seem like they do.

All villas have balconies and the accessible villas are all over the place in all sections. If you are seeing windows on either side of a balcony then that is a 2 bedroom unit.

All villas have balconies and the accessible villas are all over the place in all sections. If you are seeing windows on either side of a balcony then that is a 2 bedroom unit.

Thanks! Looking forward to our first stay! Love looking at whatever pictures we can find of the resort

I have been planning this surprise trip for our family of 6 for over 6 months now, and we still have until October (first family trip I had a total of 3 weeks to plan, so I'm enjoying every minute of this!)

I'm currently booked at OKW in a 1 bedroom, knowing with one of our kids under 3 we "fit". But when I had my husband list his top resort priorities, it seems to me SSR is the better fit:
1) Scenic place to jog
2) CS restaurant on site
3) Pools the kids will love
4) Enough room for all of us!

So I'm going to have to upgrade to a 2 bedroom (and keep my fingers crossed for a Pin Code in March), but I'm also hoping (expecting) the 30% off for the room.

So time to call and change my reservation just one more time....

After reading the SSR FAQ I think Springs or Grandstand would be a great option for us too!

How can I be assured we get a 'dedicated' 2 bedroom? Any ideas?

Thanks -
Melanie

I believe the booking options are 2-bedroom dedicated or 2-bedroom lockoff.

We were there in December and stayed in the Grandstand, and the next time I am going to request the same area and building. Our room number was like 8503 or something (this was a 1 bedroom). It was right by a pool and a very short walk to the carriage house. Bus stop was not too far a walk either and it was the first pickup and first drop off.

Just got my membership number in the mail last night.. got all setup online, and have booked my first DVC Trip to Saratoga Springs, my new home resort!

Steve

I have been planning this surprise trip for our family of 6 for over 6 months now, and we still have until October (first family trip I had a total of 3 weeks to plan, so I'm enjoying every minute of this!)

I'm currently booked at OKW in a 1 bedroom, knowing with one of our kids under 3 we "fit". But when I had my husband list his top resort priorities, it seems to me SSR is the better fit:
1) Scenic place to jog
2) CS restaurant on site
3) Pools the kids will love
4) Enough room for all of us!

So I'm going to have to upgrade to a 2 bedroom (and keep my fingers crossed for a Pin Code in March), but I'm also hoping (expecting) the 30% off for the room.

So time to call and change my reservation just one more time....

After reading the SSR FAQ I think Springs or Grandstand would be a great option for us too!

How can I be assured we get a 'dedicated' 2 bedroom? Any ideas?

Thanks -
Melanie

Why do you think the Springs is the best area for you? Just being nosy. :)

Why do you think the Springs is the best area for you? Just being nosy. :)

I'm thinking Springs or Grandstand as they are closest to main pool and Artist Palette. We will not likely have a car (though are tossing around the idea of renting a van) - the shortest walk to the pool area and food would make our lives easiest. Our four kids will range in age from 2-10 at time of visit.

I'm thinking Springs or Grandstand as they are closest to main pool and Artist Palette. We will not likely have a car (though are tossing around the idea of renting a van) - the shortest walk to the pool area and food would make our lives easiest. Our four kids will range in age from 2-10 at time of visit.

I'd personally suggest requesting a Paddock room near the pool. For several reasons.

The Paddock has a zero entry pool with full feature slide and a gated child water playground and a bar and grill with the bus stop right out the exit of the pool. They also do the pool games and activities just like at the main pool. The main pool is just a few min walk as well. This is the 3rd stop on the bus route and we have never been without a seat.

The Springs is the last stop on the bus route and the bus is normally packed to the gills by then and I've been on many a bus that had to bypass the Springs because it was just full. The Springs is also a large area and you could be a good distance from the pool and main house. The toddler water play area is just fountains and is not gated. They do have a small toddler slide at the main pool.

The GrandstandThe Grandstand only has 2 buildings close to the pool and several that are extremely far away from everything. The Grandstand pool is not zero entry either. There is a child fountain area/splash pad within the pool there. There is no slide as this is a quiet pool. There is a bar and refill station that is open as needed. This is the first bus stop so you are guaranteed a seat on the bus though and you don't have to cross any roads to get to the main house, main pool or quiet pool which was always a plus for us when the kids were small and before the paddock pool was redone.

You don't need a car within the resort. Outside of the Carousel section, the resort is really well interconnected with good walking paths.

This is just my opinion. My kids are ages 8,9,10 & 16. We've been staying at SSR since '08 and just love it!

I'd personally suggest requesting a Paddock room near the pool. For several reasons.

The Paddock has a zero entry pool with full feature slide and a gated child water playground and a bar and grill with the bus stop right out the exit of the pool. They also do the pool games and activities just like at the main pool. The main pool is just a few min walk as well. This is the 3rd stop on the bus route and we have never been without a seat.

The Springs is the last stop on the bus route and the bus is normally packed to the gills by then and I've been on many a bus that had to bypass the Springs because it was just full. The Springs is also a large area and you could be a good distance from the pool and main house. The toddler water play area is just fountains and is not gated. They do have a small toddler slide at the main pool.

The GrandstandThe Grandstand only has 2 buildings close to the pool and several that are extremely far away from everything. The Grandstand pool is not zero entry either. There is a child fountain area/splash pad within the pool there. There is no slide as this is a quiet pool. There is a bar and refill station that is open as needed. This is the first bus stop so you are guaranteed a seat on the bus though and you don't have to cross any roads to get to the main house, main pool or quiet pool which was always a plus for us when the kids were small and before the paddock pool was redone.

You don't need a car within the resort. Outside of the Carousel section, the resort is really well interconnected with good walking paths.

This is just my opinion. My kids are ages 8,9,10 & 16. We've been staying at SSR since '08 and just love it!

Thanks for your advice! I love the idea that we don't have to cross any road to get to the main house. I tried to google map it to understand on my own before but couldn't really tell, I'm so glad you filled me in! I think I'll put Grandstand as my first choice request, and Paddock second. Do you typically have a car when you visit? For transport to the parks? What is your overall opinion of the bus service? We've previously stayed at POR and found their bus service to be just fine. I've seen so much with SSR about how big and how long it takes - your thoughts?
Thanks!

Thanks for your advice! I love the idea that we don't have to cross any road to get to the main house. I tried to google map it to understand on my own before but couldn't really tell, I'm so glad you filled me in! I think I'll put Grandstand as my first choice request, and Paddock second. Do you typically have a car when you visit? For transport to the parks? What is your overall opinion of the bus service? We've previously stayed at POR and found their bus service to be just fine. I've seen so much with SSR about how big and how long it takes - your thoughts?
Thanks!

We never use a car there. I think the bus service is fine for the most part. It runs frequent in the morning and evening but is farther between buses in the mid-day. We walk to places within the resort so we aren't ever waiting on a bus to get to the Main house or back again.

It really isn't that big of a resort. You'll see once you get there, it looks really spread out on the map but once you see how interconnected everything is, it feels a lot smaller. My kids have no issues with running over to the main pool from the Paddock and back again.

I'd suggest checking out the community hall if you plan on downtime. It has a ton of free crafts to do plus video games, standard games, pool, ping pong, etc.

Plus they do a marshmallow roast every evening at 5:30-6:30 in the courtyard behind the arcade area. That's also free and you can roast and eat as many as you like.

There are also pool games at both feature pools with prizes for the kids.

It is a really great resort with lots of free things to do just at the resort. I think you will really enjoy it.

The quick service is really nice too and accommodating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter