• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR main pool closed in March?

correct - I am renting the points from a friend. I'm banking on that pool being opened.

I called SSR last night and they still have no information on the pool being closed. The pool is VERY important to us (3 little kids) and we're not interested in pool hopping. I'm not sure what to do at this point, DH wants to cancel our trip if we can't be somewhere with a pool/pool slide. Here's hoping that the resort has more up to date info than member services.

We booked our our trip to ssr in August. We have yet to receive any type of letter?? We are going to be there the March 18-29. This is our first trip as members and we are restricted to go to ssr due to developer points. This will so totally stink if our first experience is without the "fun" pool we've talked up to our kids!:mad:

I called SSR last night and they still have no information on the pool being closed. The pool is VERY important to us (3 little kids) and we're not interested in pool hopping. I'm not sure what to do at this point, DH wants to cancel our trip if we can't be somewhere with a pool/pool slide. Here's hoping that the resort has more up to date info than member services.

if the pool is closed - you will be able to go to OKW.

ssr is not going to go without a slide - it attracts far too many kids to that to their favorite guests (kids).

before I think they had an extra boat that just went back and forth between SSR and okw - now that might just say use DD boat.

one of my complaints was - we are forced to use SSR because of DP and then they close the pool without warning.

jan, sept or even may is a much better to close the pool. especially one as popular as the SSR main pool.

I talked to member service today and was told the the pool @ SSR will be closed till March 27. I think she said March 9 but not sure about the start date, but she did say till March 27.

got this letter

Hello Pat,
Thank you for contacting Member Services. I do apologize for any inconvenience. We where informed that the High Rock Springs feature pool at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa was going into rehab and our advisors are sharing this information with members as well as adding it on the confirmations sent by mail. During this time, the leisure pools will remain open. Members wishing tohave a feature pool (pool with a slide) experience are welcome to use the Village Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort. Members are also welcome to pool hop to any feature pool with the exceptions of Stormalong Bay (Yacht & Beach) or Uzima Springs (AKV). Members should be encouraged to check with a Host/Hostess at the Front Desk of the Resort hotel they wish to visit to find out about pool-access availability. They must present their current "Key to the World" card with their Disney Vacation Club "Member" designation on it to use other Resort hotel pools.

Sincerely, Claudia Member Services
| Online CommunicationsDisney Vacation Club

so even non members can use the pool at OKW.

ms seems to think this is happening.

don't know why SSR has difference opinion.

walking about the right side not telling the left side.:rolleyes1

well we will see....

to you non-DVC members this is not a happy picture. it definitely looks like you can use OKW pool slide.

if the pool is closed - you will be able to go to OKW.

ssr is not going to go without a slide - it attracts far too many kids to that to their favorite guests (kids).

before I think they had an extra boat that just went back and forth between SSR and okw - now that might just say use DD boat.

one of my complaints was - we are forced to use SSR because of DP and then they close the pool without warning.

jan, sept or even may is a much better to close the pool. especially one as popular as the SSR main pool.

Stay at OKW? I guess, if they have availability. I just wish we knew for sure one way or another as I'd rather stay at SSR. Again, I don't wish to pool hop, so that's not a good option for us at all.

As for the pool slide, if the main pool is closed for the refurb, then the slide will be closed.

Hi,

We are also booked here from 22nd March to the 26th March, and have not heard that the main pool will be closed :confused3 I only changed my dates 10 days ago and MS didn't mention it :mad:

Has anyone heard any updates about this?

Thanks
Kate

We just booked SSR about 10d ago and were not told anything about the pool closure!

I had bookings for BWV std and perf views throughout the week and was waitlisted for the whole week in std view. I thought I shouldn't wait any longer and switched to SSR. I tried OKW but there was no availability.

I will not be happy if this closure is going though. It's one thing to advise you of this while booking the reservation, but quite another to let you know in the confirmation letter. When you booked AKV you were told of the construction on the phone and so you were prepared.

I would have thought about booking elsewhere (and still might) had I known. But now I've lost 2 valuable weeks.:sad2: I might have stayed put at BWV and just had to switch rooms, I think it would be less hassle than pool hopping all week. For my kids, it's all about that slide! Every afternoon.

With 3 small kids, pool hopping in March can be a chilly experience. Not looking forward to it!:headache:

I am not a DVC member (renting 10 nights in March) so I am not able to call DVC and really challenge them on the information they have supposedly been giving out. I have called the resort and Central reservations and when I challenged them on the DVC letter sent out, they gave me a Manager who was kind enough toactually not go by whnat was written in front of her and investigate this. She came back and said it was going to close and now it is not. DVC MS was the only source for this information and I should think that if there were truth to it, all other sources would know.

It would be WONDERFUL if a DVC member would call and ask the MS to investigate why others have been told the resurfacing has been rescheduled and why the Resort Manager is unaware and clear this up 100%.

I am not a DVC member (renting 10 nights in March) ...It would be WONDERFUL if a DVC member would call and ask the MS to investigate why others have been told the resurfacing has been rescheduled and why the Resort Manager is unaware and clear this up 100%.

Why not ask the member you are renting from to do this?

She has been away and unavailable or I would have.

OK, here's the most up-to-date....IT'S NOT GOOD!

I called SSR and was able to speak to Chris (Mgr at front desk). Chris again said he shows nothing about the pool being closed and put me through to Toni (Mgr recreation services). Toni says she is unaware but puts me on hold to call or look up some sort of renovation schedule. She said that SSR main pool is scheduled to be done right after other projects which should be March - so provided other projects are done, they will close the pool and begin work on it in March. Should the work take them longer than expected, it will be put off until April.

I know it isn't a big deal for those who go to WDW 2 or 3 times a year but this is our once every year or 2 trip - over 5K invested and I am really upset about this lack of communication. If I was advised when the booking was made back in September I would have chosen another 2 bedroom resort - now they are all booked.

They did say that extra transportation will be provided to OKW's main pool (so if I were OKW I'd be upset also at the fact that it will be packed!).

It makes no sense - It's considered "Magic Season" (second highest price point) and they close resort amenities!

Pools have to be kept up to standards and believe me there is NO time that is ok with guests. Disney resorts has little say so in the scheduling of pool rehabs. That department schedules it based on when they are free to actually do it and they notify the resort.

The times can and do change and many times management at the resort will not know for sure until the work starts.

Not sure that will make guests feel better that booked at a full rack rate a week ago and were not told that the feature pool won't be avaialble. Disney has taken great stides to advise of BCV's pool and the construction at AKL to ensure guests make a resort choice that works best for them.

If the pool was scheduled to be closed since Dec (according to DVC letters) than the resort Manager should have been aware as well as central reservations and all other refurb lists.

BCV's pool is not scheduled for rehab, the main pool at the Yacht and Beach Club is and the advising of guests concerning that is coming from Disney resorts not DVC, and they do not always operate the same.

This was waiting in my email today :sad2:
"We are so sorry that you did not receive notification of the pool rehab.
They usually do this type of thing in the cooler months when the pools
are less busy.

Updated 12/17/08: Saratoga Springs will be doing a rehab of the High
Rock Springs feature pool March 9-27, 2009. The rehab is scheduled to
include resurfacing the pool & spa, re-gel coating the slide, and
cleaning and re-caulking the pool deck.

During this time, the leisure pools will remain open. Members wishing to
have a feature pool (pool with a slide) experience are welcome to use
the Village Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort. Members are also
welcome to pool hop to any feature pool with the exceptions of
Stormalong Bay (Yacht & Beach) or Uzima Springs (Animal Kingdom Villas).
Please check with a Host/Hostess at the Front Desk of the Resort hotel
you wish to visit to find out about pool-access."

So much for hoping it wasn't true!!!! Now to tell my kids:eek:

But it still doesn't explain why The resort itself is unclear. I am there in 2 weeks on business and plan on speaking with the General Manager of the resort to clarify the miscommunication.

I've already requested to change our room request over to Congress park or Grandstand to be by one of the leisure pools but I agree with Bluenose...it is less than ideal to have to drag your kids, drinks, towels, etc to the OKW pool (where I am sure it will be packed since both resorts are full) for a few hours in the afternoon.

I can't let it ruin the excitement of this trip so it's good to know in advance and not have to deal with the dissappointment at check-in.

there are 12 managers that share SSR and OKW.

one of these mangers might know - problem is - he isn't who everyone is talking too. and of course giving the information out to the other mangers - well that is a lost of power.

again bad management by SSR and OKW.

Jan or Feb because of the colder temperatures would be a better time to do something with the pool.

or Sept (as much as I love it then) because of far less guests. You pick a time when as few of your guests will be bothered as possible.

March with spring breakers is never a good time to close pools. Especially with BC/YC main pool already closed.

also if they told everyone back when we were making these reservations - it would have been different. but to say afterwards - is just not right. :sad2:

you can only pool hop if the other resort is not full. Spring break in march with the 4/3 - okay what resort is not going to be full. my opinion none of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter