• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR main pool closed in March?

We have a spring break trip planned for March. Just mom and the kids are going as dad has other obligations. Now I find out via the DIS (read not member services) that the feature pool will be closed. The idea of shleping two kids and all the needed gear, towels, sunscreen, drinks, snacks, etc. by myself on a boat to another resort is really not very appealing. As the other posters have stated, there is no availability at other resorts at this late date. I'm not interested in doing any kind of split-split-split stay either that would have us moving multiple times. In trying to come up with an alternative plan, I have learned Storm Along Bay is closed Jan5-Apr15, Contemporary Pool is closed Jan5-Mar15, Fort Wilderness pool is closed Jan12-Mar13,Typhoon Lagoon is closed Oct26-Mar21 and we are not allowed to pool hop to Animal Kingdom Lodge. OK, what's left? At this point in time, I'm about ready to cancel the whole thing and book somewhere else off-site. Why should I use up all those points staying somewhere that doesn't offer the amenditities that we want/need and will still be paying for? Afterall, there will be no reduction in the rack rate or point cost to stay at the resort, nor will there be any compensation offered for this added inconvenience. I was under the assumption that "membership has its privileges". Boy, do I feel like I've been had!

Was just at the BCV and was frustrated that the pool was closed as well. That was one of the main reasons we went there was just to check out the pool.

WHile I sympathize w/the disappointment of the High Rock Springs pool being closed while you're going to be there, I think you may have an appealing alternative open to you: the Grandstand pool. My "little kids" actually like the Grandstand pool, with its water spray play area right next to it, even better than the main themed pool. Of course, you do miss the slide, and that is a drag...but the quiet pools and the Grandstand "mini-theme" pool will let your kids swim and play in the water while you're there...

For me, disappointing as missing out on the slide and the main pool would be, that would be better than canceling the vacation...

Also, it's pretty easy to get over to OKW's main pool...you can get a boat which picks up and drops off very close to both pools...it's a longish walk, but walkable, too...if your kids really want some slide time...

Good luck with whatever you decide...

In trying to come up with an alternative plan, I have learned Storm Along Bay is closed Jan5-Apr15, Contemporary Pool is closed Jan5-Mar15, Fort Wilderness pool is closed Jan12-Mar13,Typhoon Lagoon is closed Oct26-Mar21 and we are not allowed to pool hop to Animal Kingdom Lodge. OK, what's left?

Blizzard Beach, Old Key West, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, BoardWalk and over a dozen other Disney resort hotels.

Saratoga Springs has been open for nearly 5 years and this is the first refurbishment closure for the pool. Refurbishments are an unfortunate necessity for a resort complex that is open 365 days / year. Saratoga Springs does have 3 other pools which will remain open for guest use.

I was under the assumption that "membership has its privileges".

Actually that's American Express. ;)

Seriously though, this has little to do with DVC. All guests at those resorts--DVC or not--are subject to the unfortunate closures. Even non-members paying $600 per night for a Two Bedroom villa will not be able to use the pool.

DVC doesn't make the decisions about when/where/how to conduct refurbishments. About all DVC can do is communicate what they are told by the facilities department to its members. There were reports of guests with reservations receiving a letter from DVC informing them of the closure. Not sure why you wouldn't have received one.

I'm upset too - but what really ticks me off is the lack of communication. It seems that only DVC has been told about this closure and it is not posted ANYWHERE else! Even if you call central reservations or SSR itself they show it is open!

I appreciate that they have to do this once in a while, but they surely had at least 4-6 months notice on a schedule of what they would be doing (I am guessing more like a year as it would have to be budgetted) and to do it in prime season!!

I want to know what happens to all of the activites - the poolside movies, the lifeguard games, and can you imagine how busy the Grandstand will be if the resort is really full (so is OKW). If these activities are all cancelled or we are expected to travel to another resort to use them.....this DVC renter who invested 5K in her trip will not be happy!

Just off the phone with SSR. They now acknowledge that the pool will be closed March 9 - 27th. They claim anyone with a reservation during this time has been notified. I asked what will happen to the poolside activities and she left the phone for a while and then came back and said that it is "still in discussion" but there is consideration for moving it all to the Grandstand area. I guess it's that or don't have it at all!

Just off the phone with SSR. They now acknowledge that the pool will be closed March 9 - 27th. They claim anyone with a reservation during this time has been notified.

Nope never notified me!! Had I not read the info from all you smart people I wouldn't have known. Wonder if its because we used developer points and not our actual points? :confused3 If so, it makes you wonder how many people using their dp will find out upon check-in!! We requested Grandstand location upon booking. Wonder what the chances will be that we will get our request, especially now.

It is not just DP reservations....I booked 11 months out for 3 weeks and still no notification for me???? be there March 3 thru 24....

Wow, I just noticed this thread and can't believe it. I just made my reservations a couple weeks ago at SSR March 11-13 and they didn't mention a thing. Also, received our confirmation documents 2 days ago in the mail and nothing mentioned. I guess we weren't planning on using the pool much, so I think we'll request a room close to it so others can get rooms closer to the open pools.

I just hope it is back open for our April trip. If not it is no big deal for us. we will just use the smaller pools. Plus we are going to BB.

Just off the phone with SSR. They now acknowledge that the pool will be closed March 9 - 27th. They claim anyone with a reservation during this time has been notified. I asked what will happen to the poolside activities and she left the phone for a while and then came back and said that it is "still in discussion" but there is consideration for moving it all to the Grandstand area. I guess it's that or don't have it at all!

Still no word from them, and double checked my confirmation letter that I got last weekend and it didn't say anything:crazy2:

Like I said earlier, I didn't get a letter and I booked a 1 bed back in Sept 08, according to others the letters went out in Dec?

I rang 2 weeks ago and changed to a 2 bed for 1 less night and wasn't told verbally either :sad2: My confirmation letter which came yesterday just says 'High Rocks Spings pool under refurbishment' at the bottom. No dates or anything! as this is our first stay as members have to say I'm not impressed :confused3

Also, if the resort is nearly full I can't imagine how busy the grandstand pool will be..... it's not that big!!

Wow, I just noticed this thread and can't believe it. I just made my reservations a couple weeks ago at SSR March 11-13 and they didn't mention a thing. Also, received our confirmation documents 2 days ago in the mail and nothing mentioned. I guess we weren't planning on using the pool much, so I think we'll request a room close to it so others can get rooms closer to the open pools.

My res are in for the 6th-13th, no mention either. Seems a little hectic there right now.

It seems quite a few pools are going to be closed during March & April. Here's a thought. Offer families staying at the resorts with main pools closed a one day pass to TL or BB.

Thank you to everyone who added info in this thread. I've been going back and forth about where to stay in March VWL, SSR, BWV and after reading through this, it definately knocks SSR off. I made a res through disney directly and they newer made any mention of anything being closed when I asked them about the different resorts. I'll always check these boards before I make any ressies.

This is such a pain! We had reservations at BCV for March and then found out that the pools there were going thru an makeover in phases. The kiddie pool would be closed while we were going to be there. So, I called and switched to SSR. Now there pool is going to be closed and they can't tell me how it will affect the kiddie areas. I am hoping that we will be okay...I have a 5 and 2 year old.

I just wish that there was more of a heads up on this. I can't switch to another resort now because of availability.

This is such a pain! We had reservations at BCV for March and then found out that the pools there were going thru an makeover in phases. The kiddie pool would be closed while we were going to be there. So, I called and switched to SSR. Now there pool is going to be closed and they can't tell me how it will affect the kiddie areas. I am hoping that we will be okay...I have a 5 and 2 year old.

I just wish that there was more of a heads up on this. I can't switch to another resort now because of availability.

It sounds like the High Rock kids areas will be closed. However, for a 5 and 2 year old, the Grandstand spray areas are likely better anyway. So, in your case, I wouldn't worry.

It is not just DP reservations....I booked 11 months out for 3 weeks and still no notification for me???? be there March 3 thru 24....

Well I finally got a letter this week.....by the way it was dated Dec 08, took a long time getting here....I really am not happy with the way DVC handled this....higher point season and they can't notify you of a major change at a huge resort until now????? I saw notice of the SAB closing looooog ago...this is all very strange and unsettling...:confused3

Has anyone heard an update on the SSR pool closure? We'll be at SSR March 6-12 and I was hoping for a lot of relaxing pool time... I've seen a number of dates... 9-27, 9-30, and 5-30th.... does anyone know the real timeline? The 5-30th is from MS today, but I haven't tried calling the SSR front desk yet. I need to put in a room request, but am now unsure of how to describe "we'd like to be near an (open) pool (assuming HRS is closed)"....

If someone has spoken to SSR recently, please let me know, otherwise I am just going to have to call them myself.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter