• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR Nightmare!!!

DVC'er said:
but it is annoying to not have a room ready and then have them tell you they will text you right away and you walk to your bldg. and nothing shows.
Hmmm... I'm thinking that, in addition to the CM saying something to the effect of "...you should be getting a text any minute..." (i.e. not a promise, just a guess), that the Front Desk CMs really don't have anything to do with the text notifications. Have you ever seen one stop (or not) helping a Guest, instead making phone calls or appearing to text?

More likely, the text is, or should be, initiated automatically when Housekeeping clears a room for occupancy.

Hmmm... I'm thinking that, in addition to the CM saying something to the effect of "...you should be getting a text any minute..." (i.e. not a promise, just a guess), that the Front Desk CMs really don't have anything to do with the text notifications. Have you ever seen one stop (or not) helping a Guest, instead making phone calls or appearing to text?

More likely, the text is, or should be, initiated automatically when Housekeeping clears a room for occupancy.

That's exactly what happens...the housekeeping thing, I mean. The problem is that with the recent computer program upgrades, the housekeeping staff hasn't always gotten correct information. We missed our T&T earlier this month because housekeeping had no record of us in that room. Frankly, I think that has been the bulk of the issues people have been having lately. Blame it on those "marvelous" IT guys at Disney!

In regard to the text issue, I've never successfully received a room-ready text when I was told I would. I've always had to go back to the front desk for my room assignment. We had one time only where our room wasn't ready by 4pm - but shortly thereafter. This was after being given keys and sent to two other rooms - one with an occupant and one very dirty and never turned over for new guests.

I expect these things to happen on occasion, but I am also one of those guests who expect the room to be ready by 4pm and not a minute after. Mistakes in rooms happen like I've noted above but I just expect to be able to settle into my room by 4pm.

Well as for the text messages....Twice we got them the next DAY!:rotfl:

We drive to WDW. The first time I used online checkin, I received an automated phone call on my car phone (OnStar we don't have a standard cell phone with texting) informing us that our room was ready, and the room number. We were still on the turnpike, so hadn't even arrived at the resort.

Other than that, we haven't gotten anything.

I sure would not have called this incident a nightmare. Unfortunate incident, but not a nightmare. There are much worse things going on in the world these days other than getting in a room at WDW early.

FWIW, the text message system worked fine for me the one time our room wasn't ready upon arrival. That was just a few weeks ago on December 8th. We arrived at Kidani around 1pm and room still not ready. Text message came through at 2:56 pm with the room number.

Not questioning others' experiences. Just wanted you to know that it does work for some people. :goodvibes

We have been using the texting/room ready system for as long as they have offered it (a couple of years maybe?). We have ALWAYS gotten our texts in a timely manner (BCV--4 visits, BWV--3 visits, and SSR--1 visit). All other times we checked in our rooms were ready. I guess we've just been lucky!

The text messaging is nice when it works and it has worked for DW and I in the past but it has also not worked period. It is what it is...we are pretty laid back when we are on vacation so we try not to get upset at a minor inconvenience.

This has been the continuing trend , lacking customer service. This is a Human resources problem and lack of training. The staff now seem to be not as friendly ,knowledgeable or willing to help as much anymore. I have had recent phone experiences where they borrowed my points for 2011 when I had points current. And now I recently am going to lose 110 points in all the confusion. Do they even say welcome home. If your lucky. :headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

CRSNDSNY said:
I expect these things to happen on occasion, but I am also one of those guests who expect the room to be ready by 4pm and not a minute after. Mistakes in rooms happen like I've noted above but I just expect to be able to settle into my room by 4pm.
Respectfully, since checkin is after - not at - 4 PM, your expectations are unrealistic. Even if it were at 4 PM, it would be physically impossible for all Guests to check in at 4 PM and be in able to settle in their respective rooms by 4 PM.

Respectfully, since checkin is after - not at - 4 PM, your expectations are unrealistic. Even if it were at 4 PM, it would be physically impossible for all Guests to check in at 4 PM and be in able to settle in their respective rooms by 4 PM.

I agree with you. Although we have been very luck with our DVC stays so far--only been members for a little less than 2 years--in getting our rooms well before 4:00 pm, we realize that check in can be any time after so don't go in with an expectation of anything less.

Now I do think that there really is no reason, other than an emergency, that rooms not be ready by 5:00 - 5:30 pm, so in this case, I might be frustrated but the OP situation really, IMO, was not something to call a "nightmare".

This has been the continuing trend , lacking customer service. This is a Human resources problem and lack of training. The staff now seem to be not as friendly ,knowledgeable or willing to help as much anymore. I have had recent phone experiences where they borrowed my points for 2011 when I had points current. And now I recently am going to lose 110 points in all the confusion. Do they even say welcome home. If your lucky. :headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

If they (or the computer system) borrowed points when you had points available, and those current points were not already committed to a reservation, or previously banked, they should be able to fix that for you with a manual adjustment. I had a similar experience a few years ago.

My expectations were fairly simple...Be able to check in to my room by 4PM. I don't think that is unrealistic! Do you?

Yes, as that's not how it works. Rooms are ready for check-in STARTING at 4 PM. Getting in earlier is a bonus.

As already pointed out, if there was a mistake it can be rectified pretty easily. All of the conversations with MS are recorded so managers can review exactly what members requested when they called, etc to find out if you had requested they borrow points, etc.

There is a huge difference between being "friendly ,knowledgeable or willing to help" and bending over backwards to give everyone everything they ask for.

I agree with you. Although we have been very luck with our DVC stays so far--only been members for a little less than 2 years--in getting our rooms well before 4:00 pm, we realize that check in can be any time after so don't go in with an expectation of anything less.

Now I do think that there really is no reason, other than an emergency, that rooms not be ready by 5:00 - 5:30 pm, so in this case, I might be frustrated but the OP situation really, IMO, was not something to call a "nightmare".

Honestly, as I stated before, I don't believe that the OP's story is completely truthful and is somewhat exagerated....but I don't have proof of that either. If everything really did happen, he was just as much to blame as Disney, if you keep pushing to get an answer when they aren't supposed to give you one, don't get upset if you are stuck waiting at a buiding. Second, the compensation mentioned here is completely out of line with anything I have ever heard of within DVC, especially for such a minor issue. To receive points back would have been way above what Disney would normally do for being a little late checking in, but to throw in that many free passes.....I just don't think so.

We have heard of people having rooms not available until after midnight, or having to move resorts, total disasterous checkins, etc and nothing in line with this type of compensation.....just seems like a troll post to me, especially if they are supposed to be an experienced DVC member.

Yeah it is a bit aggravating but things happen sometimes. A couple of years ago at BWV we waited until after 5 only to be sent to a room that had not been cleaned yet. I walked down to the main desk, they gave us another room, keys didn't work, back down to the lobby again to have someone come up to fix our keys. No compensation offered or expected. Aggravating yes, nightmare no.

I know many people arrive at WDW from very long distances and are ready to get in their room right away and believe me I understand that. There are many factors in what time a given room is available. I worked at a hotel in my younger days including a stint as a front desk clerk and assistant director of housekeeping. Every housekeeper was assigned the same number of rooms per day. The rooms generally got cleaned in order that they were vacated, so one of the biggest factors in what time your room is available is what time the previous guest left. Someones room is going to be the housekeepers first cleaned of the day and someones is going to be the last cleaned of the day. Since DVC rooms are generally preassigned whether or not your room is ready is just luck of the draw. The above factors will not change regardless of your "ranting and raving."

Dealing with people particularly on the front desk was a pain, I was just floored by how some people will behave in public. If there is a problem give the person a chance to try to fix the problem before you start screaming at them, I assure you they didn't mess up on purpose and usually want to be helpful.

Angry? I would have been a little upset, but certainly not angry...nor would I have done any ranting or raving at the front desk.

Totally agree with Chuck here. Over the top reaction.

We arrived at AKV Kidani on the 11th of Dec and was told that I'd receive a text message when the room was ready. And, wink, wink, we were given the room number in advance. Well, 4pm came and went and still no text message. Finally, DW goes to the room and sees that it's ready. Later we were told that computer issues were the most likely cause of not receiving the text message.

UGH, when I saw this I started to freak as my DD is heading down to SSR 12/31 for the first time with her friends!!!! Then I read it, wow, talk about over reaction. While I tottally agree the front desk made many mistakes, to say its a nightmare is just so wrong!!! Maybe OP should change the title of this thread for starters

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter