• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

St. Maarten activities and shopping near the ship

Genie-In-Training

Mouseketeer
Hi, everyone. I know St. Thomas has the Havensight Mall within walking distance of the ship. I was wondering if St. Maarten had things to do within walking distance, or do you need to take a shore excursion. Thank you.

There is a small shopping district at the port with the larger named chains (DI, etc.) and some local merchants. You can also walk to Phillipsburg, or catch a water taxi or regular taxi from the port area over to the town - it's close enough that you can see the ship from the beach in Phillipsburg. We've spent an afternoon wandering around Phillipsburg and it's a cute little town - much more manageable than Charlotte Amalie (smaller, easier to walk). Plus, the Yoda Guy is there (http://netdwellers.com/mz/yodaguy/home.html)!

St maarten is a great port to do without an excursion. Like others said there is a beach right there you can use, there are chairs and umbrellas and jet skis you can rent and shopping is one block from the place where the water taxi stops. It is about $6 a day and we always use it because we do not want to walk that far with 6 small children. They like the boat ride too.

If you stay on Front St., the first street you should be very safe, that is where all the tourists are. To the right is more traveled. If you go one block further inland you will come to Back St. It is a little more local and while our guard was a little more heightened there we did not feel unsafe.

There are a few shops right at the pier but it is nothing like what is at St. Thomas.

We tried this port without an excursion and regretted it. We took a little boat over to Philipsburg and the moment we got off it we were bombarded by islanders wanting to sell us things and giving us sales flyers. We tried to swim on the beach but were constantly bothered by women offering to braid hair or sell us things. We did not even feel comfortable enough leaving our bag on the beach long enough for us all to swim together. We got back on the ship not soon after.

Is the hassle as bad as Nassau? I hope not. I really want to take the water taxi and walk around the town. That really sounds like my speed. However, what you just described is what we don't like about Nassau. I expect(and don't mind) a little selling, but I really don't care for the full court hassle that you described. Is this a common experience?

I don't think SXM is as bad as Nassau, and we enjoyed strolling and shopping Front Street. However, renting a car is fairly easy in SXM and getting around is simple. Traffic in Phillipsburg is something of a bear, but the island itself is easily navigable. That way you could see some more of the island and find your own beach. Car rental is not terribly expensive there either as I recall.

Is the hassle as bad as Nassau? I hope not. I really want to take the water taxi and walk around the town. That really sounds like my speed. However, what you just described is what we don't like about Nassau. I expect(and don't mind) a little selling, but I really don't care for the full court hassle that you described. Is this a common experience?
I much prefer St. Maarten over Nassau. To me there is no comparison. And I have found the islanders take a simple "No thank you." without issue.
Not like the guy last night screaming "Hey got any money for a homeless person. I'm hungry." After the third time I finally screamed "I heard you. I'm not giving you money." :goodvibes See, NJ isn't nice all the time either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter