• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

St Pete Beach before VGF

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
This will be our first adults only trip to DVC.
We are staying at VGF.
Beofenwe arrive I am thinking of weekend at St Pete Beach.
Any suggestion for hotels or restaurants.
Looking at Siratia now.
Also any thoughts on fun things to do while we are at VGF.
Not planning on doing any parks.

We did this last August. Actually stayed at Sirata under a Travelzoo deal before heading up to Disney. Sirata was nice but I would definitely try to get a balcony room if you can. We didn’t have one and wished we did. Spinners restaurant at the top of the hotel next door is great. Beach there is awesome. We are planning to do the same thing again this August. It is about 1 hr 45 min to Disney with no traffic.

Beautiful, wide, white sand beach with such calm & clear water. Wish i was heading there vs Daytona for my DS football game.

Hiltons are usually are go-to, absolutely do not recommend the one at the clearwater pier. Upon rising my last stay, had bite marks all over my lower legs & an issue with (lack of) security at the pool. Next visit to the area will head a bit south where it's a bit quieter.

Enjoy!

I live here and can tell you the Tradewinds (https://www.tradewindsresort.com/index) is one of the best spots next to the Don Cesar to stay on St. Pete Beach. You can find lots of airbnb properties here too.
Restaurants- well there are so many that it's hard to give you just one. Depends on what you are into.
Great dive bar but fantastic food - Caddy's on the Beach (a little north but worth the drive. Right on Gulf Blvd) http://caddysotb.com/
The Hurricane - a nice beach restaurant that appeals to locals as well as tourists. http://www.thehurricane.com/
Drive a bit further north (maybe 15 min) and visit John's Pass. Rusty Pelican has good food. http://www.johnspass.com/

You will love it here. :-)

The Don Cesar is expensive, but it holds a special place in my heart. When I was dating my wife she attended undergrad in St Pete. That big iconic pink ‘castle’ became something of a dream for the future. You know “someday we won’t be poor college kids and can stay at the Don” etc. Well 10 years ago I proposed to her on the beach in front of that place and we got to stay a night there. I always recommend the Don if you have the means.

The Sirata is more affordable and can be very nice too though.

*Apologies for the extra sap in this post

73BD5CF5-D07E-4C5A-BBEB-0BC405508F1C.jpeg 63855A2E-4B51-4694-AB1A-6D0A69FF9F7E.jpeg we stayed at the alden suites last summer. it’s an older property, but the rooms have been recently renovated. the decor is still on the tacky side, but it was clean and comfortable and we had an ocean view for far less than anyone nearby was charging for no view.

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

I haven't been to St. Pete Beach for years. This thread has me wanting to go again. I fly to WDW now, and don't rent a car, so stay in WDW bubble. Time of rent a car and see more of Florida again.

I am a big fan of Honeymoon State park, you may want to look into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter