Stair Difficulty

dtaylor98

Mouseketeer
I have no problem walking but I do have a problem with stairs. Is there any way to be able to use an elevator on attractions with stairs?

We were just there with my 77 year old mom and two instances come to mind...

In The Land pavilion, the escalator was broken so we took the elevator back upstairs.

In TSM, when you come to the three way fork, ask to be directed to one without stairs.

I think most other places had ramps.

We were just there with my 77 year old mom and two instances come to mind...

In The Land pavilion, the escalator was broken so we took the elevator back upstairs.

In TSM, when you come to the three way fork, ask to be directed to one without stairs.

I think most other places had ramps.
The following also have stairs that I know of:
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain (not many, but a few steps), Space Mountain (non fastpass side has a few)

Just ask at the as you enter the attraction if there are stairs. They is always a way to the attraction without stairs, because wheelchairs have to get there. Most of hte time, you just go right through the standard queue. On some, you may be directed through a specific or alternate way.

Something else to think about are the ride vehicles you step down into, like Small World, Jungle Cruise, Frozen Ever After, and especially Jungle Cruise. Just make sure you will be able you are able to get in and out of them safely. You may want to consider using a cane, even just to get in and out of these attractions.

Something else to think about are the ride vehicles you step down into, like Small World, Jungle Cruise, Frozen Ever After, and especially Jungle Cruise. Just make sure you will be able you are able to get in and out of them safely. You may want to consider using a cane, even just to get in and out of these attractions.

And Kilamanjaro, as those vehicles require a VERY HIGH STEP into/out of the vehicle (except for the accessible one where they have a ramp that you can use.)

The following also have stairs that I know of:
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain (not many, but a few steps), Space Mountain (non fastpass side has a few)

Big Thunder definitely has stairs, they will probably give you a return time for that to go in the exit because they don't have a ramp/escalator alternative.

As others have said, just let a CM know at the entrance that you have trouble with stairs and ask what they suggest. They may be able to send you to an elevator or may give you a wait time to enter through the exit or may send you where wheelchairs would usually go. It's not a DAS, so you don't need to get it in advance. I forget what it's actually called, but they can give them out via MagicBands at the entrance to the ride.

Big Thunder definitely has stairs, they will probably give you a return time for that to go in the exit because they don't have a ramp/escalator alternative.

As others have said, just let a CM know at the entrance that you have trouble with stairs and ask what they suggest. They may be able to send you to an elevator or may give you a wait time to enter through the exit or may send you where wheelchairs would usually go. It's not a DAS, so you don't need to get it in advance. I forget what it's actually called, but they can give them out via MagicBands at the entrance to the ride.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Pirates has steps in a couple places depending on which way they send you. The step down into the boat can also be difficult.

Neither Big Thunder or Pirates at WDW have stairs.
Big Thunder has a very steep downward ramp that some people may have difficulty with.
For any attraction, tell the CM at the entrance know you have issues with using stairs and they will route you the appropriate way to avoid the stairs.

Neither Big Thunder or Pirates at WDW have stairs.
Big Thunder has a very steep downward ramp that some people may have difficulty with.
For any attraction, tell the CM at the entrance know you have issues with using stairs and they will route you the appropriate way to avoid the stairs.
Big Thunder (unless they remodeled it) has about 3 to 5 stairs at the beginning of the queue.

And by the looks of it, on the People Mover, they’ve stopped the moving incline that you need to use to get up to the loading area.

Big Thunder (unless they remodeled it) has about 3 to 5 stairs at the beginning of the queue.
Sorry, you are correct for the Standby line. I’ve only ever ridden it using Fastpass, which doesn’t have stairs.
And by the looks of it, on the People Mover, they’ve stopped the moving incline that you need to use to get up to the loading area.
I think that was temporary - it sometimes happened before the shutdown/renovation too.
The ramps are somewhat slippery when they are stopped, do I don’t think they would ever stop using it entirely.
I‘ve seen 3 different new ‘re-opening‘ videos posted since Saturday. The moving ramp was operating in both directions in all 3. The moving walkway at boarding and unload were also operating.

I have no problem walking but I do have a problem with stairs. Is there any way to be able to use an elevator on attractions with stairs?
FoP can have steps when exiting depending on the level they assign you. I cannot do steps so I always inform them. They put me on the lowest level so when I exit there's no steps. When outside of the bldg there's steps or ramp. I take the ramp

Knowing that there were steps in the regular queue at Space Mountain, and also knowing that I would not be able to see them because of my visual impairment and the low light in the queue, I explained my situation to the CM and asked if I could use the accessible queue. They said no.

That’s the one thing I dislike about the current system; whether or not to give an accommodation not specifically covered by the DAS is completely left up to the personal discretion of the cast member who happens to be on duty at the time you ask. Any given individual CM may be new on the job with inadequate training, they may have personal biases, they may be overzealous in trying to gatekeep accommodations, they may be so tired and overworked that they’re just not thinking clearly, they may just be having a bad day- they’re only human and don’t always get everything right.

I’m not saying this to be discouraging. The CM you ask may just as likely say yes - it sounds like some other people in this thread have had better luck than I did. I’m only saying it because I hate to think of anybody being in the situation I was in, where I just assumed I would automatically be given the accommodation I needed so I didn’t have a backup plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter