Stalking strategy - Best time to check

TheDailyMoo

DIS Veteran
Like the title says what is the best time to check to see if there are released rooms, if any. I am assuming that when a booking is cancelled and a room is made available it is put back into stock in real time? Or am I wrong and all openings are released at 8 am the day after? What time has given you the best success rate when stalking?

8:30 is a good time to check at as people either walk forward or modify reservations at 8am

What if I'm stalking for a trip less than 7 months away. Do cancelled rooms go right back into inventory in real time? I don't really have the ability to keep checking non stop during the day so it's almost like if I had to pick a certain time of day to try and get lucky, what time would that be?

What if I'm stalking for a trip less than 7 months away. Do cancelled rooms go right back into inventory in real time? I don't really have the ability to keep checking non stop during the day so it's almost like if I had to pick a certain time of day to try and get lucky, what time would that be?
I can give you an example. We decided to purchase AP so I cancelled my Vero Beach studio we had (for June). It never went back into the inventory. I'm assuming the waitlist picked it up but who knows. I checked multiple times after dropping the reservation and never saw it on the site. I was just curious if it would show because there wasn't availability. Crazily I was able to pick up BWV studio for June when I cancelled it. I think it's just whenever. I'm going to stalk for a couple more days I want when it's close to 31 days from our trip. I've been successful at that also.

I've checked multiple times a day. Sometimes I had better luck in the evenings when people cancel their trips.

I can give you an example. We decided to purchase AP so I cancelled my Vero Beach studio we had (for June). It never went back into the inventory. I'm assuming the waitlist picked it up but who knows. I checked multiple times after dropping the reservation and never saw it on the site. I was just curious if it would show because there wasn't availability. Crazily I was able to pick up BWV studio for June when I cancelled it. I think it's just whenever. I'm going to stalk for a couple more days I want when it's close to 31 days from our trip. I've been successful at that also.
I've thought about that being a good time to ramp up searches.
I've checked multiple times a day. Sometimes I had better luck in the evenings when people cancel their trips.
So you've definitely seen rooms come into inventory later in the day when they weren't there in the morning? That's the kind of confirmation I need to keep searching at night. I have never found anything so I was doubting if it was even worth searching at night.

I would check anytime you have a chance! I’ve picked up some unicorns midday.
I agree. As someone who in the past year has had to throw together a couple of extremely last minute trips (one was a week away for 5 days around Memorial Day), just check whenever you can. Any time I sit down, I'm logging in and hitting the update button over and over. I've seen things pop up and be gone in minutes. I've had really good success with that method, seeing things pop up at odd times throughout the day. We had to cancel a long trip last minute for Jan and of course our points went into holding. I was stalking and stalking to rebook for late Feb / early March and one afternoon an entire week just popped up at CCV in a 2BR. A few days later almost the entire Boardwalk inventory popped up randomly mid morning (guess it had something to do with them dumping rooms back into inventory after refurb). I was able to add BWV on to our CCV reservation and use all but 6 of our holding points. Stalking works! But you have to be persistent.

I've thought about that being a good time to ramp up searches.

So you've definitely seen rooms come into inventory later in the day when they weren't there in the morning? That's the kind of confirmation I need to keep searching at night. I have never found anything so I was doubting if it was even worth searching at night.

If there has been no waitlist, rooms go right back when people cancel.

So, rooms later in the day would be there because of others canceling that room.

I have changed enough to know there is no set time that is better than another…but will say that when you are around the booking window, I find checking in around 10 am has helped.

8:30 is a good time to check at as people either walk forward or modify reservations at 8am
I had good luck with this a couple of weeks ago, but we were only a few days past my 7 month mark.

I was up to modify the second half of a split stay. We had wanted to modify the first half to Poly (3 nights including the Sunday before Labor Day), but hadn’t had luck at the 7 month mark. A few minutes after 8 EST, I tried modifying the first half again. The search said no rooms were fully available for my dates, but when I expanded the lake view studio to examine the exact dates, all 3 showed available. I was able to successfully book them, and modify to add a guest a few hours later. Was paranoid it was a glitch, but the changes made it onto MDE and haven’t heard a peep from DVC 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I also recommend checking multiple times a day. I tend to check more when I’m bored at work. 😁
Bored at work...you're speaking my language lol.

Ok really glad everyone chiming in with being able to pick up rooms at random times. That's all I really needed confirmation of that I wasn't wasting my time just checking randomly during the day! Appreciate the data points!

Bored at work...you're speaking my language lol.

Ok really glad everyone chiming in with being able to pick up rooms at random times. That's all I really needed confirmation of that I wasn't wasting my time just checking randomly during the day! Appreciate the data points!
I just picked up 4 days in a BCV accessible studio in September… just stalking as I lay in bed! What made it painful was I had transferred points so needed to call MS… you can bet I was on the phone precisely at 9! Saints be praised it was still available… whew!
Looking at the calendar there was nothing for weeks and weeks. But as my dear old dad used to say “sometimes you just get lucky”. Stalking? I’m a fan! :love:

I just picked up 4 days in a BCV accessible studio in September… just stalking as I lay in bed! What made it painful was I had transferred points so needed to call MS… you can bet I was on the phone precisely at 9! Saints be praised it was still available… whew!
Looking at the calendar there was nothing for weeks and weeks. But as my dear old dad used to say “sometimes you just get lucky”. Stalking? I’m a fan! :love:
WOW! I am looking for an accessible studio at BCV for September! I’m happy for you…I’m at BLT. which does work better for MNSSHP, so, I’m happy too, however my reservation turns out.

I was just able to change my reservation and pick up those other 2 days I wanted at BWV, so definitely random!! Don't give up ;). I'm only a couple months out from my trip!

WOW! I am looking for an accessible studio at BCV for September! I’m happy for you…I’m at BLT. which does work better for MNSSHP, so, I’m happy too, however my reservation turns out.
BLT was going to be my backup if it was available at 7 months. Definitely a winner for MNSSHP! But I had transferred the BCV points to take advantage of F&W… by the time I did it though, holy crows!! booked solid for weeks and weeks!

Keep stalking… I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter