Standing for the National Anthem

Do you stand for the National Anthem when it's broadcast on television?

• Always

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • If I'm already up, yes.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Never

Votes: 127 68.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
They rarely even show our national anthem for sporting events now.

But when it’s on, no I don’t stand. Dh is retired military (29 years) he doesn’t stand either.

In person, ALWAYS. And with hand over heart. And I will stand for another national anthem. Common respect. (The only country can think of offhand was Canada for pro baseball and hockey.)

Not when it's on TV and only in public if it's being played live where I'm at. And, yes, I have a lot of family members who have served - Daddy was in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII, brother in the Army during Viet Nam era, son in the Navy as a Corpsman, hubby in the Marine Reserves, nephew served two terms in the Marines special forces, all the way back to the Revolutionary War and on both sides of the Civil War had grandfathers and uncles.

Retired military family here too... we don't stand when it's on TV, only outside. We lived in base housing for a few years and experienced retreat daily. Everything on base comes to a halt at 5pm when retreat sounds, along with the national anthem. Cars stop, people stop, even toddlers, everything... until the last bar sounds. One of my favorite memories is the kids stopping their ball games, standing quietly with caps removed, and then yelling "PLAY BALL!" as soon as it was over. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.:lmao:

Nope. I don't feel it needs played at national events. I get it for international events like the World Cup, Olympics, etc. , but NFL, MLB (except for when they play Toronto), doesn't need an anthem played before the games. Why do I need to pledge my allegiance to the USA before a baseball game?

I'll stand when it's played in person. But personally, I've never understood why it's even played for sporting events that don't involve national teams (Olympics, World Cup, etc). 🤷‍♀️
Nope. I don't feel it needs played at national events. I get it for international events like the World Cup, Olympics, etc. , but NFL, MLB (except for when they play Toronto), doesn't need an anthem played before the games. Why do I need to pledge my allegiance to the USA before a baseball game?
I believe we started to play it at professonal sports events during WW2 and Cold War 1 to reject communism. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I have a story. I was at the Mid Ohio race course the weekend after 9/11. The Anthem is played every morning over the track loudspeakers. It's usually just background sound as everyone prepares for a day of racing. I was in line to get coffee that morning when it played. Every single person stopped and faced the flag. The people in line, the workers behind the counter, the traffic into the infield stopped and people got out of their cars and golf carts. I still choke up when I think about it.

Not on TV, nope. In person? Usually I will stand. Begrudgingly.

THAT was awkward when we went to Mount Rushmore last month and they did this whole flag/movie/Anthem thing and I felt very...different. And VERY uncomfortable.

I stand in person. Not when watching on TV, though I can't remember the last time I watched a game that carried the playing of the national anthem. Usually the TV cuts to a commercial break at that point.

That brings up a related question... aren't you supposed to stand when another nation's anthem is played (or remain standing)?
Yep. I'm dating myself but the Montreal Expos vs Toronto Blue Jays. I'm from the US but we frequently attended ball games in Montreal and once in Toronto. Stand out of respect for the other country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter