Standing for the National Anthem

Do you stand for the National Anthem when it's broadcast on television?

• Always

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • If I'm already up, yes.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Never

Votes: 127 68.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
To answer the question - no, I do not feel an obligation to stand in my own home when the anthem is played. I will always stand and/or put my hand over my heart as a show of respect when in person, but will I always recite? No.

I have weird feelings about this. I don't get standing daily in school to pledge our allegiance to the flag. It was just a normal part of life in elementary and middle school and I didn't question it, but by the end of high school I started wondering why we need to drop what we're doing, turn attention to a flag, and pledge our allegiance to it. I understand there is greater meaning and it isn't just the inanimate object that we are reciting to, but it feels funny. My allegiance in this life is to God. I support our country, I support our troops, I love our country, and have close family that has served. But does pledging total allegiance to something that is of this world contradict my faith and belief that the only being that should have total allegiance should be my Creator? I disagree a lot with Jehovah's Witnesses, but on this I have some understanding and a little agreement. And I know I'll get it so I'll put it out there: you don't need to believe the same things or believe in God....that is fine. Be who you want to be, you have free will - but please don't attack my faith or belief in God just because you choose to not believe. We can all have respect here. I respect your belief or lack there of!!

Another thing - the images of kids standing to pledge in school reminds me of imagery from North Korea, which I hate saying. I just start seeing no difference between the social "requirement" (though we have the freedom not to in this country, unlike N. Korea where if you show anything but devotion to Kim Jung Un/N. Korea, you will find yourself in a bad situation. Here, you will definitely get heavy pushback socially but at least you're not in danger). Well, maybe except Colin Kaepernick...I think he is an attention seeker but he did receive threats for kneeling.

I don't see pledging allegiance to the flag as pledging "total allegiance." Freedom is actually one of the ideals we're pledging to try to maintain. I see liberty and justice for all as being a great goal. As a teacher I actually liked pledges. Some schools and some classrooms have pledges they came up with and recite as well. It's just sort of a reminder of common goals for a community and I always felt like they were kind of centering. When we had kids who didn't want to say it for whatever reason, that was a learning experience too because it led to important conversations about what liberty and justice for all means and how we could respect our differences.

Absolutely not. We don't usually even stand in person.

My retired Marine Officer husband's favorite thing to say is "I fought so that Americans don't have to stand when the anthem is played."

He firmly believes that being coerced or forced into doing so goes against the very freedom that he and so many others fought to protect.
Exactly. I choose to stand in person. Unity achieved under coercion is not true unity but the simulation of unity, which is at the cost of the tenets of American democracy. The very patriotic values claimed to be strengthened by the anthem are weakened if it becomes compulsory.

Last edited:
That brings up a related question... aren't you supposed to stand when another nation's anthem is played (or remain standing)? Not just soccer, let's look at Olympics.

Years ago, I was in New York and one of the Broadway shows I saw was one that started with the American national anthem (I think it was On the Town), and the majority of the audience stands up during the overture. Next to me, a European, was a Japanese tourist, neither one of us knew what to do. We both decided to stay seated.

To answer the question - no, I do not feel an obligation to stand in my own home when the anthem is played. I will always stand and/or put my hand over my heart as a show of respect when in person, but will I always recite? No.

I have weird feelings about this. I don't get standing daily in school to pledge our allegiance to the flag. It was just a normal part of life in elementary and middle school and I didn't question it, but by the end of high school I started wondering why we need to drop what we're doing, turn attention to a flag, and pledge our allegiance to it. I understand there is greater meaning and it isn't just the inanimate object that we are reciting to, but it feels funny. My allegiance in this life is to God. I support our country, I support our troops, I love our country, and have close family that has served. But does pledging total allegiance to something that is of this world contradict my faith and belief that the only being that should have total allegiance should be my Creator? I disagree a lot with Jehovah's Witnesses, but on this I have some understanding and a little agreement. And I know I'll get it so I'll put it out there: you don't need to believe the same things or believe in God....that is fine. Be who you want to be, you have free will - but please don't attack my faith or belief in God just because you choose to not believe. We can all have respect here. I respect your belief or lack there of!!

Another thing - the images of kids standing to pledge in school reminds me of imagery from North Korea, which I hate saying. I just start seeing no difference between the social "requirement" (though we have the freedom not to in this country, unlike N. Korea where if you show anything but devotion to Kim Jung Un/N. Korea, you will find yourself in a bad situation. Here, you will definitely get heavy pushback socially but at least you're not in danger). Well, maybe except Colin Kaepernick...I think he is an attention seeker but he did receive threats for kneeling.
Going off of this - this is why I stopped attending church and I why I get icked out by the pledge, national anthem, etc.

We were standing in church for some service and it dawned me on, all the people moving in the same motion, muttering the same words...felt very cult-like, North Korean like. It freaked me out. And then I started questioning everything. How many other things in my life was I doing just because "everyone else is". And I dug around to see if there were things I was supporting, by being a robot to these institutions, that I should NOT be supporting. And, surprise, surprise, there is.

Do I feel lucky to live in this country? Sure - over other places where I would have less freedoms. But, I see all our faults, and I cannot pledge allegiance to anything (religion or country) that does not actively try and make itself better. Maybe one day I will be comfortable "identifying as" a patriotic person again, but.... a lot would have to change to get to that point.

It would be like staying in a toxic relationship just because it is all you ever knew.

Going off of this - this is why I stopped attending church and I why I get icked out by the pledge, national anthem, etc.

We were standing in church for some service and it dawned me on, all the people moving in the same motion, muttering the same words...felt very cult-like, North Korean like. It freaked me out. And then I started questioning everything. How many other things in my life was I doing just because "everyone else is". And I dug around to see if there were things I was supporting, by being a robot to these institutions, that I should NOT be supporting. And, surprise, surprise, there is.

Do I feel lucky to live in this country? Sure - over other places where I would have less freedoms. But, I see all our faults, and I cannot pledge allegiance to anything (religion or country) that does not actively try and make itself better. Maybe one day I will be comfortable "identifying as" a patriotic person again, but.... a lot would have to change to get to that point.

It would be like staying in a toxic relationship just because it is all you ever knew.
So you think the US is NOT trying to "make itself better"?

That's sort of a loaded bar. Better for who? I think most people, including TPTB, ARE trying to make things better. There's disagreement on what "better" entails.

That's sort of a loaded bar. Better for who? I think most people, including TPTB, ARE trying to make things better. There's disagreement on what "better" entails.
Yep, as a woman and parent of daughters especially, with gay family members and a family friend who is trans, concerned about many political issues I won't enumerate here, I do NOT think the country is getting better currently. It's going the wrong way.

In person, ALWAYS. And with hand over heart.

Never for on TV (rarely played on TV), always in person, hst off, hand over heart.

Just to go a little off-topic for a minute, I always stand during the national anthem in-person, but rarely put my hand over my heart. I felt like growing up, most people kept their hands to their sides or behind them. It wasn't until about 20 or so years ago that noticed that everyone had their hands over their hearts. Sometimes I will if I feel like conforming, but usually I don't. Anyone else stand but not put their hand over their heart?

Yep, as a woman and parent of daughters especially, with gay family members and a family friend who is trans, concerned about many political issues I won't enumerate here, I do NOT think the country is getting better currently. It's going the wrong way.
Not that I disagree with you, but that wasn't my point. Even those who are pushing for something YOU disagree with, are, IMO, trying to make the country better, in THEIR minds.

That's why I was questioning @Minnesota! ... (s)he said (s)he "can't pledge allegiance to something that does not actively try and make itself better."

From The American President:
America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.

When you're watching a televised sporting event from a location OTHER than the stadium, do you stand when the National Anthem is played.

I understand not every broadcast sporting event includes the National Anthem, just referring to those events that do broadcast it.
I never stand at home when it is on TV.

I always stand at a stadium or arena event. I get emotional with large crowds singing along to the National Anthem.

And forget it if there is a rendition of My Country Tis of Thee/ God Bless America/ The Battle Hymn Republic thrown in :laughing: I'm a blubbering mess.

Just to go a little off-topic for a minute, I always stand during the national anthem in-person, but rarely put my hand over my heart. I felt like growing up, most people kept their hands to their sides or behind them. It wasn't until about 20 or so years ago that noticed that everyone had their hands over their hearts. Sometimes I will if I feel like conforming, but usually I don't. Anyone else stand but not put their hand over their heart?
I stand for other nations' anthems but I don't put my hand over my heart for them. I do put my hand over my heart when the USA anthem is played. I know that wasn't your point but I just wanted to explain my thoughts on that. I totally respect what you are saying though.

I agree with you somewhat - I haven't been to church in probably 10 years. My faith is stronger now than it was then, but at this point I have no interest in reattending church unless I find one politically neutral which is almost impossible now. Either they are too far right or too far left.

I think it's very easy to get sucked into things just because of the echo chamber or insular communities that we sometimes find ourselves without even realizing it. Had we kept attending, I would be in an extremely different mindset now (politically), and that is not the type of person I ever want to be.

I do not stand up when it is playing in TV & neither does DH.. Never have and don't recall my Parents ever doing it.
I always stand in person, but never put my hand over my heart. I also stand for the Canadian athem when attend a hockey game with a Canadian team as a show of respect.

So you think the US is NOT trying to "make itself better"?

No, as a woman, I don't think we are going in the right direction. And I surely don't think we are actively trying, either. Too busy just fighting across the aisle vs moving forward.

No, as a woman, I don't think we are going in the right direction. And I surely don't think we are actively trying, either. Too busy just fighting across the aisle vs moving forward.
Everyone sees the world/country differently (whether that's a good or bad thing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter