Star Tours made me sick, will Soarin' do the same?

I also get motion sickness easily, as does my son and husband, so I have already written off star tours, but am planning on Soarin' I am also writing off the Pandora (the flying one, not the river one) ride because the previews alone, with the rapid movements made me feel ill. I can pretty much guarantee I would not feel great on that ride and there are too many other things I want to enjoy.

My motion sickness is so bad that I take medicine before we go into the parks, regardless of what I plan on riding. Even with the medication, I can't do Star Tours. (Or the Aerosmith Coaster.) But Soarin' was fine - in fact one of the highlights of our trips. Enjoy!

I wish Disney would have some non-moving ride vehicles on simulators so that people with motion sickness could go on these rides too.

My motion sickness is so bad that I take medicine before we go into the parks, regardless of what I plan on riding. Even with the medication, I can't do Star Tours. (Or the Aerosmith Coaster.) But Soarin' was fine - in fact one of the highlights of our trips. Enjoy!

Do you have anything you can recommend? I could have sworn that I used to be able to buy non-drowsy Dramamine, but I can't find it now, only "less drowsy." I tried that once but it put me to sleep within the hour. :sad2:

It does seem like the big trend now is simulator rides and they are getting more and more extreme. I hate that I can't do Star Tours since I'm a huge Star Wars fan! But nothing's worth making me sick.

I get car sick on Star Tours (and (real) cars backseats (just to tell OP the level of motion illness I get)) but not at all on Soarin. (I'm also scared of heights, but not on Soarin.) Space Mtn also makes me a bit motion ill - you can't tell where you are going b/c of the dark.

I can't ride Star Tours either! totally makes me sick...but...Soaring is a totally different ride. No jerking around or dipping or any of that stuff...just a nice smooth ride. Give it a try...it's really beautiful! (I still miss the old one though!)

I have issues with motion sickness, and I spend a lot of time on boats for my job. That means definitely no dramamine (can't be sleepy on the job!)

I highly recommend a product called motion eaze. It is an oil that you put behind your ears. It works in about ten minutes, and I've often used it when I start to get sick. You could use that in line for rides you are worried about.

Another thing to remember is that Dramamine stays in your system for 24 hours, and the dosage is often higher than necessary. During times when the seas are rough and I need a little more help, I take one Dramamine at night before bed. By the next morning, you don't feel too drowsy and you still have the benefit.

Do you have anything you can recommend? I could have sworn that I used to be able to buy non-drowsy Dramamine, but I can't find it now, only "less drowsy." I tried that once but it put me to sleep within the hour. :sad2:

It does seem like the big trend now is simulator rides and they are getting more and more extreme. I hate that I can't do Star Tours since I'm a huge Star Wars fan! But nothing's worth making me sick.

Based on the recommendations of the folks on the DIS cruise boards, I started to use Bonine, out of fear I'd be miserable our entire cruise. It's now my go-to for amusement parks. (And bad flights. Sometimes car trips... and the occasional vertigo... :sick: :sick: :sick:.)

The attractions are so different it's hard to tell. Personally, I really enjoy Star Tours and I almost had a panic attack on Soarin'. They aren't joking when they say if you're afraid of heights don't go on it. Of course, if the screen upsets you, you can close your eyes and the movement is smooth, it still bothered me when I closed my eyes, but mostly just because I don't like being high up... Never again.

I have issues with motion sickness, and I spend a lot of time on boats for my job. That means definitely no dramamine (can't be sleepy on the job!)

I highly recommend a product called motion eaze. It is an oil that you put behind your ears. It works in about ten minutes, and I've often used it when I start to get sick. You could use that in line for rides you are worried about.

Another thing to remember is that Dramamine stays in your system for 24 hours, and the dosage is often higher than necessary. During times when the seas are rough and I need a little more help, I take one Dramamine at night before bed. By the next morning, you don't feel too drowsy and you still have the benefit.

I will try this and also the bonine that librarianamy suggested.

I was worried about Soarin' the first time I rode it, but I was perfectly fine. It's gentle. Like others here, I also get nauseous and head-fuzzy for sometimes hours afterward from Star Tours and Mission Space and other VR rides that are herky jerky, with motion AND without motion (experiment: try mission space without the motion to see what I mean). But, I don't feel sick on roller coasters, at all. Also, i can't do spinning rides like teacups, but somehow I can do Dumbo and Magic Carpets just fine. I also do get nauseous in vehicles if I try to read, but I don't get seasick on boats, at all. I find all these variables pretty interesting and mysterious.

I was reading in Wikipedia that there were several different kinds of "motion sickness" that have a variety of different causes. It's an interesting read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness?wprov=sfsi1

I normally get motion sickness from ST. This time I took Bonine before bed each night. I also ate a banana before riding. I had no issues at all. Soarin' doesn't bother me. The only ride I couldn't handle this trip was HP Forbidden Journey

I can't do Star Tours anymore, but I have zero issues with Soarin'. I think it is worth trying for sure.

I am fairly prone to motion sickness and cannot ride Startours at all. I did not even attempt Soarin after that experience from the time it opened until just this past Feb.
I was there alone and thought I will just try it, if I get sick I just go back to the room.

I was so happy to find I could ride Soarin with no problems at all and had been depriving myself of this amazing ride for years.

My recommendation - don't miss this ride!

Based on the recommendations of the folks on the DIS cruise boards, I started to use Bonine, out of fear I'd be miserable our entire cruise. It's now my go-to for amusement parks. (And bad flights. Sometimes car trips... and the occasional vertigo... :sick: :sick: :sick:.)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at both of those options.

Star Tours made me sick as well but we rode in the very front row. I got smart and starting taking all-day dramamine everyday, when we rode Soaring we asked to not be in the front, we ended up in the last row. And I will say that is the only way I will ride Soaring, I felt not a bit of sick from that spot and the meds. I want to do Star Tours again but try riding in the last row.

I also think it is the mixture of 3-D video on Star Tours that made me sick, too much happening at once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter