Star Wars Episode VII to Begin Shooting in May

Twin Dad

DIS Dad #704
Straight from the official site.

Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.

This will be the first Star Wars film to start shooting in the month of May. Lucasfilm has documented the first day of principal photography for every installment of the Star Wars saga:

March 22, 1976 -- The first day of principal photography in Tozeur, Tunisia, for Star Wars. A crew of 130 ventures into the desert in 42 trucks and cars, including eight army trucks full of equipment. The first shot was completed at 9:35 a.m.

March 5, 1979 -- The first day of principal photography in Finse, Norway, for The Empire Strikes Back. The crew endures the subzero temperatures, frostbite, heavy winds, and avalanches to pull off the first shot within 65 minutes of setup.

January 11, 1982 -- The first day of principal photography at EMI Elstree Studios outside of London for Return of the Jedi. Although inside a studio, the set must weather a sandstorm in a scene that would ultimately be cut from the film.

June 26, 1997 -- The first day of principal photography at Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire, England, for The Phantom Menace. Ending a long absence from the director's chair, George Lucas shoots a sequence in a bluescreen-lined set with actors Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park.

June 26, 2000 -- The first day of principal photography for Attack of the Clones at Fox Studios Australia. In their new home Down Under, the production crew once again photographs actor Ian McDiarmid three years to the day after Episode I started shooting.

June 30, 2003 -- The first day of principal photography for Revenge of the Sith at Fox Studios Australia. The first scenes shot feature Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, along with R2-D2.

It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.

Star Wars: Episode VII will release in theaters on December 18, 2015.

I have no idea what Abrams and company plan on doing with the EU. By having the trilogy 30 years after Return of the Jedi, the new trilogy fits into a nice hole between series in the timeline. It is also where I thought the books started to really fall off the rails. The story says three new main characters. That could be Jacen & Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker. They could use Anakin Solo and leave Ben out. Or they could go a completely new direction. There's rumors circling that VIPs, vendors, and media members have gotten a tour of the studios and interviews with the production staff. That could mean more details will be coming very soon. I hope so, because the rumors are driving me nuts.

Iger stated at today's shareholders meeting that the next Star Wars movie will take place 30 years after the events in Return of the Jedi.

Iger stated at today's shareholders meeting that the next Star Wars movie will take place 30 years after the events in Return of the Jedi.

That is what I said. Looks like the website announcement was timed to coincide with Iger's statements to shareholders.

I am interested to hear what comes about. I am warily optomistic. I don't think it will be anyone from the EU's Especially since one main storyline mirrors the prequals way too closely. The EU books got too depressing for me.

R2 been in every Star Wars movie and quite frankly it wouldn't be Star Wars without him. :thumbsup2

Anything that happens will be top secret as was Star Trek.

I am interested to hear what comes about. I am warily optomistic. I don't think it will be anyone from the EU's Especially since one main storyline mirrors the prequals way too closely. The EU books got too depressing for me.

R2 been in every Star Wars movie and quite frankly it wouldn't be Star Wars without him. :thumbsup2

Anything that happens will be top secret as was Star Trek.

Actually, both droids have been in all 6. I don't think Abrams will be that secretive. I think he learned his lesson with the backlash over keeping Kahn such a secret. The fun part today is the entertainment websites have been scouring the fan site rumors and posting them as fact. Reading the comments section has been entertaining.

IMAX just announced an agreement to show Episode VII, The Avengers and another Marvel film on their screens.

I feel like we should have seen a lot more casting announcements by now if they are planning on shooting in May.

Reddog1134 said:
I feel like we should have seen a lot more casting announcements by now if they are planning on shooting in May.

I've got a feeling that is right around the corner. There were a bunch of vendors, VIPs, and media at Pinewood recently. Hasbro tweeted that their lead designer was there last week. I have to think there are going to be announcements soon.

IMAX just announced an agreement to show Episode VII, The Avengers and another Marvel film on their screens.
~Yay! I knew it! IMAX is just way too popular and profitable to ignore like that! I just love those huge screens and the upgraded sound effects! I really wish Frozen was on IMAX! At least, I can look forward to seeing all the Marvel and Star Wars films in IMAX format! :cool1:

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) has just cancelled on a Comic-Con in May due to "filming." Looks like they are putting the whole band back together.

BTW, nice sig Doc.

Straight from the official site.

I have no idea what Abrams and company plan on doing with the EU. By having the trilogy 30 years after Return of the Jedi, the new trilogy fits into a nice hole between series in the timeline. It is also where I thought the books started to really fall off the rails. The story says three new main characters. That could be Jacen & Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker. They could use Anakin Solo and leave Ben out. Or they could go a completely new direction. There's rumors circling that VIPs, vendors, and media members have gotten a tour of the studios and interviews with the production staff. That could mean more details will be coming very soon. I hope so, because the rumors are driving me nuts.

Ohymy, I can't wait! I wish this would just hurry up and come out, it's taking way to long, May? That seems so long away to just start filming :( I'm a huge star wars fan, I've been waiting on a squeal for years ! I hope Disney don't mess the series up!

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) has just cancelled on a Comic-Con in May due to "filming." Looks like they are putting the whole band back together.

BTW, nice sig Doc.

I would be surprised if he was reprising his role. His physical condition hasn't been to good recently and he walks with a cane most of the time.

DanBoris said:
I would be surprised if he was reprising his role. His physical condition hasn't been to good recently and he walks with a cane most of the time.

I was kind of shocked when I heard the news. He did have knee replacement nit that long ago. He also went to Twitter when there was a casting call in England for a 7 foot tall male a few months back. Maybe Abrams and company checked him out and decided he could handle the role. There should be something official soon

Cant wait for the new episode VII! Going on opening night, for sure...

I was kind of shocked when I heard the news. He did have knee replacement nit that long ago. He also went to Twitter when there was a casting call in England for a 7 foot tall male a few months back. Maybe Abrams and company checked him out and decided he could handle the role. There should be something official soon

I'm not sure why they would need Peter Mayhew...
That just seems silly

lockedoutlogic said:
I'm not sure why they would need Peter Mayhew...
That just seems silly
Peter and Anthony Daniels have been the two who have been most visible to fans. I think it's fair to give Peter a shot in the suit. Plus Peter has a certain gate that can't be replicated. The tried in Empire when he fell ill. They wound up scrapping that day's footage.

Peter and Anthony Daniels have been the two who have been most visible to fans. I think it's fair to give Peter a shot in the suit. Plus Peter has a certain gate that can't be replicated. The tried in Empire when he fell ill. They wound up scrapping that day's footage.

He'll be 70 in a month...

I tend to be a bit of a purist...but if they have to cut a corner somewhere...I could concede this one

And he had double knee replacement last year last year... So the "gate" argument is probably void

Could we extend this conversation to include thoughts, rumors, any tidbit of news on WDW next Star Wars attraction? Could there be a Star Wars "land" in the future? If so, where to build it? Off HS? Or, maybe an extension of Adventureland at the MK, like the New Fantasy expanded that area of the park. Could Star Wars be big enough to create a 5th park? If so, how would that park be divided? Thoughts, ideas, wishes?

Could we extend this conversation to include thoughts, rumors, any tidbit of news on WDW next Star Wars attraction? Could there be a Star Wars "land" in the future? If so, where to build it? Off HS? Or, maybe an extension of Adventureland at the MK, like the New Fantasy expanded that area of the park. Could Star Wars be big enough to create a 5th park? If so, how would that park be divided? Thoughts, ideas, wishes?

I don't think there is any hurry on Disney's part to build new Star Wars offerings in Florida...

They are making ridiculous money and attendance is as strong as they could reasonable expect.

Star Wars is a nice "carrot" for them to dangle...they'll tease us for five years so we whip ourselves up into somekind of frenzy (spending all the way)...but new offerings may be things similar to the Jedi academy... More "personalized" junk peddling sites... And stuff like the character meal that they're rolling out in may.
This is all pattern stuff...I maintain they continue on course unless consumer demands knock them off it.

Which they won't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter