Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow .. just Wow .. August 29? I never dreamed it would be that early. That is definitely not LATE Fall.

I have two trips booked ... one for mid-Sept at Caribbean Beach and another for mid-October for AoA. Unfortunately they arent very long reservations . 4-5 nights. I hate the 60 day+ booking window. I probably wont have an opportunity for a FP for EITHER ride for EITHER date unless I increase my stay to 6-7 nights.

My Annual Pass gamble paid off! I got an AP last November in hopes to catch the opening of SWGE .. little did I know I would have MONTHS of time beforer my pass expires.

I guess this means we probably wont see any other discounts or AP discounts for the rest of the year. I luckily have a room booked during the (ends Sept 30) discount window.

Wow .. just Wow .. August 29? I never dreamed it would be that early. That is definitely not LATE Fall.

I have two trips booked ... one for mid-Sept at Caribbean Beach and another for mid-October for AoA. Unfortunately they arent very long reservations . 4-5 nights. I hate the 60 day+ booking window. I probably wont have an opportunity for a FP for EITHER ride for EITHER date unless I increase my stay to 6-7 nights.

My Annual Pass gamble paid off! I got an AP last November in hopes to catch the opening of SWGE .. little did I know I would have MONTHS of time beforer my pass expires.

I guess this means we probably wont see any other discounts or AP discounts for the rest of the year. I luckily have a room booked during the (ends Sept 30) discount window.

Since there aren't any FPs for Smugglers Run to start out though your length of stay shouldn't really matter. Just pick the day you want to wait for the ride lol

Since there aren't any FPs for Smugglers Run to start out though your length of stay shouldn't really matter. Just pick the day you want to wait for the ride lol
Ahh.. I missed that part. I wonder how long they plan on not having Fast Passes for Smugglers Run?

Hrm .. Going with little kids -- waiting in 2-3 (or more) hour lines may not be an option -- but at least it is equitable. But just experiencing the land may be cool enough. I wonder how long after the opening Rise of the Resistance will come online.

Hmm . .do I go in September (for four nights) .. or do I go in mid-October (for 5 nights?) Decisions decisions decisions.

Maybe I keep both .. and have one of the trips be a adults-only trip. LOL. Sorry kids!

QUESTION: If I modify my Sept reservation (add a day or two) .. do I lose the discount I already got when I originally booked?

So Disneyland’s SWGE is opening in stages, but is WDW SWGE going to do the same or will the whole land (& rides) be opened? Are do we not know yet? Guess I’m a little confused.

and by the way this is not unprecedented. When New Fantasyland opened it did without 7DMT that opened, NFL opened Dec 6th 2012 and 7DMT opened May 28th 2014

QUESTION: If I modify my Sept reservation (add a day or two) .. do I lose the discount I already got when I originally booked?
Not if it's still available. Go to MDE and modify your resort reservation just to see if you are quoted the same price....but I wouldn't wait too long. I originally made my new reservation for POP for 8/29-9/3 but then I realized I wanted to be at SWGE on opening day so I quickly modified my stay to include wednesday night too.......

Hey, do you guys think everything else will be open in SWGE? I know RoTR will not but what about the Cantina and shops? I also wonder about how immersive it will feel if there are still cranes hanging around if much of the land isn't completed?

We were planning to go around and during Thanksgiving due to our kids' schedule. That week is already crowded as is. We're booked November 22nd - December 1st.

Any initial thoughts on how much worse the crowds will be during that timeframe?

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Obviously, all of us now have FB news feeds full of people complaining about this. Personally, I booked our Honeymoon at Wdw 31 Oct - Nov 7, as well as a trip to LA at the end (we’re Australian so have to fly back to LA to get home anyway) Nov 16-21st. I was hoping to avoid Galaxy’s Edge in Orlando, and hopefully see in California on a weekday, 5 or so months after opening, and a hopefully calmer environment then.
However, I actually really like how Disney has done this. There is a lot of people booked on those free dining reservations that were trying to avoid Star Wars who will now be there. And I really believe the phased opening, no Fastpasses, are going to thin the crowds somewhat.
The people who were trying to avoid still probably will and will be thinned our across the other parks. The mega nerds will still come (and now they will have to come twice - cha ching $$$$ says Disney) but they will be focused in one area. No fastpasses = you gotta wait it out. However, no fastpasses also keeps that standby line moving. By the time Phase 1 opens in WDW, we may be at Phase 2 in California- again spreading it out.
Don’t get me wrong, I know this land and these attractions are going to be far from walk-on’s. And yes, it will be crowded, the rooms are already gone for the opening Phase 1 etc, but I actually think this was a smart decision; and will definitely alleviate some of the crowd concerns.

Hey, do you guys think everything else will be open in SWGE? I know RoTR will not but what about the Cantina and shops? I also wonder about how immersive it will feel if there are still cranes hanging around if much of the land isn't completed?
I don't believe there will be cranes, I think they might have a wall around the RoTR entrance and that's about it. Everything else I am expecting to be open since it's just food and merch

I don't believe there will be cranes, I think they might have a wall around the RoTR entrance and that's about it. Everything else I am expecting to be open since it's just food and merch

The official Annual Passholder account on FB said that food and merch would be open... they didn't specify what, but did mention it.

Not if it's still available. Go to MDE and modify your resort reservation just to see if you are quoted the same price....but I wouldn't wait too long. I originally made my new reservation for POP for 8/29-9/3 but then I realized I wanted to be at SWGE on opening day so I quickly modified my stay to include wednesday night too.......
Bummer .. doesnt look like it. Adding a day (since discount isnt available for any room type a CBR) would add over $500 to the price .. LOL.. No thanks .. I will just book a room offisite if I want to extend my stay.

There aren’t any cranes currently so no reason to have any then.

I wouldn’t even think a wall just CMs station outside. A wall would ruin the theming.

Thoughts on trying to plan our day at HS. Should we assume (even 1st week of November) that we need to be at HS early early to be in line for SWGE? I would prefer to keep my HS plans, and then "stroll" (aka claw) our way over to SWGE in the afternoon since I'm certainly not the biggest Star Wars fan, but FDH likes it and has at least seen the films. I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to swap my day around and hit SWGE in the early morning, see how much we can handle (if we even get in due to capacity), and then enjoy the rest of HS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter