Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

I am a bit confused about the Star Wars events. On the RunDisney website it lists a Star Wars virtual half marathon under the virtual events dated January 1 - March 31 and then another event the Rival Run in April. I know that has been made a virtual race too. Are those two separate events still? I was just curious which race that death star medal is for, its pretty cool! Thanks for the help

I am a bit confused about the Star Wars events. On the RunDisney website it lists a Star Wars virtual half marathon under the virtual events dated January 1 - March 31 and then another event the Rival Run in April. I know that has been made a virtual race too. Are those two separate events still? I was just curious which race that death star medal is for, its pretty cool! Thanks for the help
The Death Star is for the Star Wars virtual half that you can run anytime from now through March.

The Death Star is for the Star Wars virtual half that you can run anytime from now through March.

Thank you for the quick reply, it looks like it is sold out. Oh well, I will register for the rival run and still have fun running that one ( more like walking a lot of it.. ha ha). I bet that medal will be cool too.

Thank you for the quick reply, it looks like it is sold out. Oh well, I will register for the rival run and still have fun running that one ( more like walking a lot of it.. ha ha). I bet that medal will be cool too.
The Star Wars Virtual Half is sold out. However, all non kids races remain available including the Kessel Run for anyone willing to pay the extra cash for the original virtual race (Death Star medal and the now virtual Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon (Yoda and Vader medal). For all other races, they are reusing the 2020 medal designs since the 2020 races were canceled with no virtual option.

While I really love this medal, it also encapsulates one aspect of runDisney Star Wars that they could have improved. They had a tendency to reuse certain characters/themes almost every single year. While I understand part of that, it also becomes a matter of yet another stormtrooper medal.

I'm kind of bummed. I'm doing the Rival Run virtual half but man I'd love to do the SW Virtual Half. Ah well.

The Star Wars Virtual Half is sold out. However, all non kids races remain available including the Kessel Run for anyone willing to pay the extra cash for the original virtual race (Death Star medal and the now virtual Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon (Yoda and Vader medal). For all other races, they are reusing the 2020 medal designs since the 2020 races were canceled with no virtual option.

While I really love this medal, it also encapsulates one aspect of runDisney Star Wars that they could have improved. They had a tendency to reuse certain characters/themes almost every single year. While I understand part of that, it also becomes a matter of yet another stormtrooper medal.

Actually, those races are sold out as well. In true RunDisney fashion, what you see as open is not what you can register for. I really liked the Virtual Half medal design, so I tried to sign up for the Kessel Run today. It showed as open and let me get all the way to entering my payment info only to say “Sold Out and Unavailable“ when I clicked the payment button.

Has anyone got a list / graph of what the gift card values are when the races went from live to virtual ? Had gift card sent yesterday, but just want to confirm what the value should be. Thanks in advance

Has anyone got a list / graph of what the gift card values are when the races went from live to virtual ? Had gift card sent yesterday, but just want to confirm what the value should be. Thanks in advance

5K : $49 w/out shirt, $14 w/ shirt
10K : $80 w/out shirt, $40 w/ shirt
Half : $131 w/out shirt, $82 w/ shirt
Rival Challenge (no Kessel) : $225 w/out shirts, $186 w/ just challenge shirt, $108 w/ all 3 shirts
Kessel Half Challenge : $131 w/out shirts, $82 w/ shirt
Kessel Rival Run Challenge : $225 w/out shirts, $186 w/ just challenge shirt, $108 w/ all 3 shirts

5K : $49 w/out shirt, $14 w/ shirt
10K : $80 w/out shirt, $40 w/ shirt
Half : $131 w/out shirt, $82 w/ shirt
Rival Challenge (no Kessel) : $225 w/out shirts, $186 w/ just challenge shirt, $108 w/ all 3 shirts
Kessel Half Challenge : $131 w/out shirts, $82 w/ shirt
Kessel Rival Run Challenge : $225 w/out shirts, $186 w/ just challenge shirt, $108 w/ all 3 shirts

Thank you !

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how they're doing the virtual weekend? Meaning, do you have to run the virtual 10K on the same day as when the race would have been (for example) or is it more like the old virtual half of the Kessel, where there's a window of opportunity?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how they're doing the virtual weekend? Meaning, do you have to run the virtual 10K on the same day as when the race would have been (for example) or is it more like the old virtual half of the Kessel, where there's a window of opportunity?
you have 365 years to run... or not run

ie, run it whenever, or dont run if you don't want. most people just run sometime near the dates to feel like they are doing it on the actual weekend. honor system

Last edited:
runDisney does not require you to run the virtual race(s) distance at all. They never have. They're definitely not worried about when you run it either. I have run many runDisney virtual races since 2018 and have never needed to provide proof of finishing the distance(s) both before and during the pandemic. You paid the registration fee so they will send you what you registered for. Some people like to choose to run the race(s) after they receive their medal(s) so they can get the medal immediately upon completion. In the case of their summer series virtual 5K challenges, I have received all medals before the series even ended.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Just wasn't sure if this year would be different with respect to "race weekend." Thanks.

I'm such a sucker. A sucker with a few extra dollars thanks to never leaving home anymore. IOW, I caved and registered for the virtual half. In the end, the sadness over this being the "final year" for the theme (whatever that may mean in the end) won out: I'm planning to do all three "races" on my own to wrap up my 5 years as a Perfect Sith. #doingitfortheDarkSide :darth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter