Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

I am "perfect" for every 10k and will sign up for next year. Depends on whether or not the DLP half this year gets cancelled - if it does, I might try for the challenge. But this scares me, as I am concerned about the heat...and I live here! :rotfl2:

they are NOT disney buses. They contract out and some of the drivers have no idea where they are going! I've had 2 bad experiences with the contracted bus service. Both got lost but did manage to make it to the start....

This would be my luck! I cannot manage to catch a break with the buses at Disney. :crazy2:

I could be wrong but I think drop off and parking are at the EPCOT lot with transport to MK, no other option.

I looks like at one point in the past, you used to be able to do be dropped off at the Magic Kingdom Charter Lot (I found that in an old event guide), but that must have changed at some point. Boo!

Realistically, it doesn’t matter when, or even if, you complete the virtual run.

I wouldn't want the medal if I didn't earn it. But knowing that I could do it at my convenience (either as part of my SW training plan or maybe as a virtual Marathon weekend replacement) is very helpful.

- How is the transportation from the Epcot parking to the Magic Kingdom for the half (or from Epcot to/from ESPN for the 10K)? I am the queen of the catastrophic Disney transportation failure so depending on a Disney bus to get the start isn't appealing to me. Is it possible to be dropped off at MK parking lot (either by my friend or by a ride-share)? If so, what are the logistics for that like? We would be staying off-site (likely at Universal).
Transport form EP to TTC has been excellent. I drive every year and am parked and walking on a bus to MK within 10 minutes. The key is to follow the instructions to arrive early. At least one year they did allow drop-offs at the TTC, so that is possible. The bigger thing, though, is that we have no idea if they will use the same course, so all of this can change.

- Where can spectators view the runners for the 10K and the half? For the Marathon and Princess, my friend was able to see me at the start, at Main Street, and then at the finish, but I can't figure out how the Star Wars races work.
Very few places on last year's course. They no longer allow spectators on the roads, so it would be limited to the start, finish, AK parking lot, DHS parking lot, and Boardwalk. I would not be surprised to see them not allow spectating in parking lots in the future.[/QUOTE]

- If they offer the Kessel Run Challenge again, what time period does the virtual need to be completed? And how do you build this run into your training plan? In the past, I've maxed out my training at 14 miles, but that it usually two weeks or so before actual race.
The official timeframe says between January 1st and March 31st. They also note that there is no minimum pacing requirement and that virtual runners are only supposed to complete 13.1 miles during the timeframe. Meaning if you ran 1 mile on 14 days of the timeframe, then you have met the posted requirement. All you need to do to receive the medal is sign up. If you're doing the Star Wars Half at Disney World, then you will need to pick the medal up at the Expo. If you are not running at Disney World, then they will mail the medal to you. After cancelling this year's event, they mailed all virtual medals to all Kessel Run participants.

Now, as has been noted, if you want the Kessel Run medal itself, you must finish the Star Wars Half according to the rules set for by runDisney. If you are swept from the half, then you will not receive the Kessel Run medal. In the offhand chance they have to cancel the race or shorten the course, assuming they hold to what they've done in the past, you just need to finish the race to receive the medal. For instance, one year they had to shorten Wine & Dine by a 6 miles or so. All runners who finished the race received the appropriate challenge medals. One year thunder and lightning forced them to cancel the half marathon only during marathon weekend. All Dopey runners who finished the 5K, 10K, and marathon received their Goofy and Dopey medals. All Goofy runners who finished the marathon received the Goofy medal. All half only runners received the medal as well. This year they had to shorten the course because of heat during the marathon. They still gave me the Goofy and Dopey medals after I crossed the finish line even though I was one who ran the shortened course.

2021 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
April 15th-18th, 2021

Pre-Sale Dates: August 6th, 2020 (Annual Passholders, DVC, Golden Oak Residents)

General Registration: August 11th, 2020

Have these dates been officially posted anywhere? I'm seeing that Disney isn't taking any new reservations after their reopening announcement, but was just wondering if the Star Wars weekend dates were officially set. Thanks!

Not to unnecessarily worry anyone, but the Boston Athletic Association has cancelled the Boston marathon, saying it was not feasible to occur this year, and it will now be held virtually.

I'd be less worried about Star Wars, which is next April, as a result of the announcement. Honestly, I predict Wine and Dine will be canceled and Marathon weekend has a 50/50 shot of being the test weekend for the new race weekend normal.

How does the runner tracking work for the half? Does your chip register at each mile and then update so a friend or family member can track you along the way?

Honestly, I predict Wine and Dine will be canceled and Marathon weekend has a 50/50 shot of being the test weekend for the new race weekend normal.
If Wine & Dine isn’t canceled or is announced as going Virtual like Boston within the next month or two I’d be shocked!
I heard Marathon supposedly only put out 25% of bibs so I agree 50/50 shot

also it’s worth noting a race I run in February the same weekend as princess just announced that it would have a contingency plan of being run virtually if it couldn’t be run (I opted to still sign up but am holding off upping myself to my first half until I can guarantee a live run)

If Wine & Dine isn’t canceled or is announced as going Virtual like Boston within the next month or two I’d be shocked!
I heard Marathon supposedly only put out 25% of bibs so I agree 50/50 shot

also it’s worth noting a race I run in February the same weekend as princess just announced that it would have a contingency plan of being run virtually if it couldn’t be run (I opted to still sign up but am holding off upping myself to my first half until I can guarantee a live run)

I would be shocked if they tried to go virtual with Wine & Dine. They charge a huge premium for these races due to the destination race experience aspect. It simply does not translate to a virtual experience, given those costs. To be honest, I’m very surprised Boston elected to go that route and I think it was mostly so they could claim that the “race was still run” this year, keeping their numbering streak alive.

I‘m sure RunDisney realizes that they will get a huge backlash if they try to go virtual without at least a partial refund. That’s why I’m betting that it will be all or nothing, either cancelled and refunded or run as planned.

It's been a long time since I've checked in on these boards but I'm currently aspiring to run Star Wars next year. I see that W&D and the Marathon are both fully sold out. Is that a new trend brought on in part by the pandemic? I think the marathon probably sells out but I wasn't aware the other races sold out all that quickly in recent years. Do people think that Star Wars will sell out super fast?

It's been a long time since I've checked in on these boards but I'm currently aspiring to run Star Wars next year. I see that W&D and the Marathon are both fully sold out. Is that a new trend brought on in part by the pandemic? I think the marathon probably sells out but I wasn't aware the other races sold out all that quickly in recent years. Do people think that Star Wars will sell out super fast?
rD has confirmed in phone calls that yes, they reduced race caps "dramatically" for Marathon weekend races, which caused those crazy-fast sellouts. I'm going in assuming the same will be true of SW, but we may have a better idea when PHM registration opens soon.

I'm hoping SW Perfects get a link to guaranteed registration. Dopey Perfects had to request it this time; rD did not offer it up, but did provide it upon request.

I'm hoping SW Perfects get a link to guaranteed registration. Dopey Perfects had to request it this time; rD did not offer it up, but did provide it upon request.

That's interesting. How do we go about requesting (or should I say agitating for) that? (I wonder if there are too many of us, though.)

Also, anyone hear word from travel agents about this one yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter