Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so getting back to the actual movie ....

Apologies if already covered in the spoiler tags and I missed it, but what did people think of Hux being the spy? I thought they played it well with him not necessarily caring / having a change of heart just that he wanted Kylo to lose. Also glad it sort of resolved itself early/quickly and wasn't like in the finale what won the day for the Resistance or anything

Definitely something I didn't even consider coming into the movie so it was a nice little surprise

I really liked it. Particularly because I was a fan of Rebels and particularly because of the actor’s delivery. It was just a fun moment.

The kiss....completely out of place and unnecessary...there was no buildup to this, they were enemies until just a couple of minutes prior

Any one know Rey said to Kylo after she force healed him? I've now seen it twice and couldn't make it out either time.

Something I thought of on the way to theater tonight is how much better this trilogy has been about adding some dimension to characters other than the main ones. Given the constraints of film, I think they've done that well.

Is it true that if Rey had killed Palpatine that she would've become a sith? I don't really get this part. Other sith have been killed without their spirits passing into their killer's body.

I didn't really care for TFA as I saw it as a major rehash of ANH, and I enjoyed TLJ most because it was something new. I think after RoS, I've decided I don't like a lot of what was in TLJ and some of it does just seem like a middle finger to JJ/fans. I'm very glad this one was not done by Johnson.

Last edited:

The kiss....completely out of place and unnecessary...there was no buildup to this, they were enemies until just a couple of minutes prior
I disagree about no build up. But the whole Romeo and Juliet ending was my least favorite part of the movie, more annoying the second time, but not too big of a deal.

And speaking of cameos why didn't they have
Wedge piloting his own ship? I know hes old but it would have been nice to show hes still a ace pilot instead of just manning the guns on the Falcon.

So I already shared I had mixed feelings on it - but to me it was because it was so predictable (it was basically a 90s teen romcom getting to that point .... just missing Kylo removing Rey's glasses and letter her hair down an her realizing she was beautiful all along!)

I was hoping it was more of a "Force" connection, with no romantic elements - but clearly another group of fans really wanted them together so I am more happy for them than upset myself

Is it true that if Rey had killed Palpatine that she would've become a sith? I don't really get this part. Other sith have been killed without their spirits passing into their killer's body.

The idea presented is that if she kills him in anger then she would have taken over the Sith force energy/turned to the dark side. If it was not in anger (like in the past when other Sith were killed) then it is fine - and in the end because she turned his lightening energy back on him using the positive energy of all the Jedi (vs in anger) it was fine. Plus, not sure if it is an issue with any Sith or only with the Sith master ... like, I am sure there was a bit of anger in Obi Wan when he killed Darth Maul after he had killed Qui Gon, but he was only the apprentice

I didn't really care for TFA as I saw it as a major rehash of ANH, and I enjoyed TLJ most because it was something new. I think after RoS, I've decided I don't like a lot of what was in TLJ and some of it does just seem like a middle finger to JJ/fans. I'm very glad this one was not done by Johnson.

I think with TFA they were trying to reignite old fans so sort of did that rehash of ANH while introducing the new characters and I think the goal with TLJ was to sort of move beyond the old guard and build the new fan base ("let the past die, kill it if you have to") but I think in the end it probably went too far (and I am one who still enjoyed TLJ) and a more balanced approach was probably needed. I think RoS has more of that balance (servicing old fans and new) but did take retconing some of TLJ (can debate individual items if they were retconed or just built off of what was in TLJ)

so comment from John Boyega on something being discussed/debated:

and some little fun facts/hidden Easter Eggs I found out that I thought others would be interested in

- So I knew that John Williams was in the movie - he was the bartender ... but found out his character's name was Oma Tres, which is an anagram of Maestro

- I think we all know that one of the Ewoks shown at the end was Wicket, played again by Warwick Davis ... but the other Ewok was his son Pommet played by Warwick's real life son Harrison Davis

I enjoyed (but not really loved) all three movies. What probably prevented me from really loving these was just my own expectations. From the time this photo was released in the early production of The Force Awakens, I was imagining I would see the continuing adventures of Han, Luke and Leia.

Instead, their involvement in this trilogy essentially amounted to extended cameos. It wasn't until the middle of the second movie that I finally realized it wasn't even about them anymore (duh). :D They developed good new characters, but with my mistaken mindset, they seemed to be getting in the way of the characters I wanted to see.

Overall, I still liked them. Better than the prequels, any day.

I didn't love the movie. For me it was full of unearned fan-service (I thought Endgame did fan-service correctly) that really didn't do anything to aid the overall narrative. I will say this new trilogy in no way ruins Star Wars like I'm reading some fans reacting to. But the way the the film is structured and all the references, it feels like something written by me (and I'm not a good writer 😅 ).

I'm certainly not angry at TRoS. Just a little disappointed that I don't think they hit it out of the park like other audience members did.

The idea presented is that if she kills him in anger then she would have taken over the Sith force energy/turned to the dark side. If it was not in anger (like in the past when other Sith were killed) then it is fine - and in the end because she turned his lightening energy back on him using the positive energy of all the Jedi (vs in anger) it was fine. Plus, not sure if it is an issue with any Sith or only with the Sith master ... like, I am sure there was a bit of anger in Obi Wan when he killed Darth Maul after he had killed Qui Gon, but he was only the apprentice

I believe you are correct - this was something Palpatine could do because he had mastered how to transfer his life essence into new bodies. This was very specific, but he needed Rey to be in the right mindset.

I enjoyed (but not really loved) all three movies. What probably prevented me from really loving these was just my own expectations. From the time this photo was released in the early production of The Force Awakens, I was imagining I would see the continuing adventures of Han, Luke and Leia.

The new trilogy always had to be about the new characters and the new generation. I always said it would be a mistake to focus on Han, Luke, & Leia too much. I was pleased with that approach.

Just wanted to say unrelated to the movie how great it is how people have followed the spoiler rule. I have a Star Wars related group I’m in on Facebook, and despite there being a two week ban on spoilers, people are dropping them left and right. As someone who saw the movie opening night, I’m glad most everyone here has been considerate to those who haven’t had the time to see it yet

Just wanted to say unrelated to the movie how great it is how people have followed the spoiler rule. I have a Star Wars related group I’m in on Facebook, and despite there being a two week ban on spoilers, people are dropping them left and right. As someone who saw the movie opening night, I’m glad most everyone here has been considerate to those who haven’t had the time to see it yet

This is why The DIS is one of the only forums or social media of any type that I use. It seems to attract a more civilized crowd for the most part.

Last edited:
so comment from John Boyega on something being discussed/debated:

and some little fun facts/hidden Easter Eggs I found out that I thought others would be interested in

- So I knew that John Williams was in the movie - he was the bartender ... but found out his character's name was Oma Tres, which is an anagram of Maestro

- I think we all know that one of the Ewoks shown at the end was Wicket, played again by Warwick Davis ... but the other Ewok was his son Pommet played by Warwick's real life son Harrison Davis

I was sure that’s what it was!!!!

I love how John Boyega has had to come out and say he won’t be on any future SW Disney+ series. Saying, “you ain’t gonna Disney+ me.” We’ll see how much that changes when the acting roles dry up in a couple years. He was by far the worst actor of the bunch, most of his scenes consisted of yelling someone’s name. I just don’t like when an actor thinks they’re just too big for everything because they fell into a large role.

I love how John Boyega has had to come out and say he won’t be on any future SW Disney+ series. Saying, “you ain’t gonna Disney+ me.” We’ll see how much that changes when the acting roles dry up in a couple years. He was by far the worst actor of the bunch, most of his scenes consisted of yelling someone’s name. I just don’t like when an actor thinks they’re just too big for everything because they fell into a large role.

Well, I think he was trying to be playful and funny, but it came off kind of wrong. John is actually the biggest Star Wars fan in the bunch if you watch some of the group interviews. I'm not sure you can take that as indicative of future career choices.

I did enjoy one comment saying they want to see Finn and Anna get together since they both spend a lot of time chasing after and shouting the name of emotionally distant girls with magical powers

I actually like Finn the best in this film, seemed he evolved a bit, had some more confidence, etc. ... not saying he should win an Oscar or anything, but did enjoy him in this film. Agree though he might not want to burn a bridge that might be his best path a few years from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter