Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by jaxonp, Jan 3, 2018.

1. fatmanatee

fatmanatee Earning My Ears

As for the medals, I wonder if that Poe medal was planned for the Light Side, it's really cool. The Dark Side half medal... meh.

2. Steveg2112

Steveg2112 Earning My Ears

Awesome :)

Was already doing Dark Side half. Also doing the half this weekend so that, and training runs for DS, will easily cover virtual half. Would have preferred to have done this the 'proper way' but until the west coast runs start again I will take this. Also, $69 is way cheaper than registering for and travelling to a real run in California.

RangerPooh, KattyBelle and The Expert like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. FlashAM7

FlashAM7 Mouseketeer

So how does this work? Do we just run it anywhere we want and send our results in?

5. Steveg2112

Steveg2112 Earning My Ears

no need to send in results for the virtual run, it is on the honor system. You will get the medal regardless whether you run or not.

TreyQ3 likes this.
  6. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

You don't have to finish to get the medal, just like the real Disney races ;)

7. CaliforniaGirl09

CaliforniaGirl09 DIS Veteran

I have the Kessel from last year, but I would be really happy if they do something similar for the Tink/Princess coast to coast. Getting the pink coast to coast was one of the reasons I signed up for the Princess this year. So disappointed when they cancelled all the DLR races.

Luv2Run likes this.
  8. FlashAM7

FlashAM7 Mouseketeer

So you are essentially just paying for a medal?

9. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Yes

10. The Expert

The Expert Has been to every Disney park in the world!

There is a place to enter your results if you wish to get a finisher certificate (http://starwarsvirtualhalf.rundisney.events), but no language that I can find says you have to do so or have it verified in order to get the virtual Half medal. For the Kessel Run, you get it after the Dark Side Half, so you at least have to complete that without getting swept.

11. Mimsy Borogove

Mimsy Borogove DIS Veteran

Cynical Me: Obvious money grab is obvious.
    Star Wars Fan Me: #allthestarwars!!!!!

12. Sharkmeister

Sharkmeister Mouseketeer

We are in for the 5K and the 10K. Being able to do the Virtual Half at home is very appealing, but I don't know if I could manage the Half Marathon on top of the others in April. Excited to know that the Kessel Run Medal is still there.

13. TinkerBellLiz

TinkerBellLiz Mouseketeer

I love those! Thank you.

This is me!!! I've been dancing around the house since I signed up. I ordered shirts too. Bucket list item ticked off without a trip to California! I've SAVED so much by not having to travel.

The Expert likes this.
  14. BriarRose59

BriarRose59 WDW Once Upon a Dream

Same for me. My goals were C2C in 2017 (which I did with SWDS and Super Heroes), pink C2C in 2018 and Kessel Run in 2019. With the end of races at DL for the foreseeable future, I’m really excited for the opportunity to get the Kessel medal. I will still run 13.1 miles with the same requirements as if I had run it at DL.

15. Sleepless Knight

Sleepless Knight Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess

I could see them doing some sort of special medal for Princess and Virtual Tink, but I don't believe it will be the pink coast to coast medal.

While I have other reasons to like this idea, the fact that it makes the Kessel Run possible at least for 2018 is a great move. I signed up too because it is the Kessel Run medal. And I love Star Wars. If they offer another virtual Star Wars medal next year, I'd probably sign up for it too even though I know I won't be running Dark Side in 2019.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think the time requirement attached to Dark Side makes it much more difficult to fake it. The Galloway plan for Dark Side has 11 and 12.5 mile training runs in March.

I wondered the same thing especially with name change to Resistance Run instead of Rebel Challenge before Light Side was canceled. I was hoping for not another Stormtrooper medal, but I expected a Phasma medal given the race descriptions. I'm fine with the design of the Phasma medal, but I understand those who are meh about it. Hopefully, the 5K, 10K, and First Order Challenge medals are better.

I really like the Virtal Half medal though. Having seen multiple photos, I think the X-Wing on the side of the medal moves.

The Expert likes this.
  16. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

We are supposed to sing that, right?

As someone who likes virtual run events (though I prefer a charity reaping the benefits like with Hogwarts Running Club), and someone who doesn’t mind at all that rundisney gives you a medal even if you end up being swept or that Rock and Roll races will pick you up and take you further on the course so you can still finish and get the medal...

Yes. Let’s move on.

Sleepless Knight and Keels like this.
  17. Bree

Bree DIS Veteran

Well, RD got my money. I signed up for it and actually have plans to run 13.1 and earn it.

18. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

Shaun's now officially signed up for the challenge.

I suspect this was the medal design for 2018 Light Side but they changed the lettering before the medals were cast.

kirstie101 and Sleepless Knight like this.
  19. The Expert

IT DOES! They had them at the expo today and someone confirmed on Facebook. :D

Sleepless Knight likes this.
  20. starry_solo

starry_solo DIS Veteran

Pretty sure I saw that Kessel Run medal on the Shop Disney Parks app for $5

21. The Expert

It's a pin, and I think it is $3.99. They put it and the 2017 KR training shirts on clearance at the end of the year. I had already purchased the shirt, and may have also bought the pin when I bought the virtual shirt today. Yes, I am a sucker for anything Star Wars.