Starbucks epiphany

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
As a teacher, I frequently receive small Starbucks cards from students. It's a lovely gesture, and I accept them gratefully, but the truth is ... I don't drink coffee. I've been giving them to my daughter or nieces or co-workers. At this moment I have a small collection of Starbucks cards that add up to $30.

However, it just occurred to me, THEY SELL FOOD! I learned online that every major park + Disney Springs has a Starbucks, and I see the menus online. But I have questions:

- Do ALL the Starbucks offer food as well as drinks?
- The menu says a pretty nice looking breakfast sandwich is approximately $5.99 ... and that sounds downright acceptable for Disney! Is the current /accurate? The menus looked rather incongruous to me ... $5.99 for a breakfast sandwich or $3.50 for a cookie.
- Does Starbucks offer ice water as well as coffee drinks?
- Do Starbucks cards expire or lose value if they "sit" a while?

Thanks!

As a teacher, I frequently receive small Starbucks cards from students. It's a lovely gesture, and I accept them gratefully, but the truth is ... I don't drink coffee. I've been giving them to my daughter or nieces or co-workers. At this moment I have a small collection of Starbucks cards that add up to $30.

However, it just occurred to me, THEY SELL FOOD! I learned online that every major park + Disney Springs has a Starbucks, and I see the menus online. But I have questions:

- Do ALL the Starbucks offer food as well as drinks?
- The menu says a pretty nice looking breakfast sandwich is approximately $5.99 ... and that sounds downright acceptable for Disney! Is the current /accurate? The menus looked rather incongruous to me ... $5.99 for a breakfast sandwich or $3.50 for a cookie.
- Does Starbucks offer ice water as well as coffee drinks? Yes
- Do Starbucks cards expire or lose value if they "sit" a while? I don't know if they expire "ever" but I'm sure it would take several years if they did.

Thanks!

I answered the questions that I know the answers to in red. Also, you didn't ask this, but I love to collect the Starbucks "Been There" (formally You Are Here) mugs. We use our gift cards on those.

I am a HUGE Starbucks fan but to be honest I rarely get coffee these days. Ever since we moved to Columbia, SC I had to stop drinking coffee at SBUX. I never understood why people thought their coffee was bitter until I moved here. Every Starbucks in this city is exactly the type of Starbucks that gives the brand a bad name. But I digress!

I am pretty sure all the Starbucks on Disney property also sell food. The only one I’ve never visited is the Epcot location, but all the rest have food. If $5.99 is what’s currently on the menu for a breakfast sandwich I’d be inclined to believe it, even though the cookie is just slightly lower in price. The cookies are huge, can be served warm, and are ooey gooey and delicious. My husband loves their breakfast sandwiches. I think there’s one with Gouda that’s his favorite. They do have ice water. I do not believe their gift cards expire? I have two here I just looked at and neither one says anything about losing value or an expiration date.

If you want to try drinks that are not coffee, they have coffee-free Frappuccinos which are quite popular. I prefer their teas, both iced and hot. My go-to summer drink lately is a passion tango iced tea with coconut milk. I ask them to hold the liquid sugar and add my own Splenda to save calories. It’s like a delicious tropical fruity drink, and it’s less than $3!

Fellow teacher here! Yes, all the Starbucks have food as well as drinks. Every Starbucks I've ever been to, even in Target, has food. I know at WDW they also have some specialty foods, for example the DHS Starbucks (also called Trolley Car Cafe) has the carrot cake cookie that used to be at Writer's Stop and the Butterfinger cupcake.

The Disney Springs location shows up in my Starbucks app, and I could order a bacon, egg, and cheddar sandwich for under $5.00 at the moment, so I believe the menu prices you are seeing are accurate.

I would also encourage you to get the Starbucks app. It's free. You can combine all your Starbucks gift cards into one account there (I transfer gifts I get on to my main card). You earn points towards free items as you spend the money. At Disney you can earn but not redeem points, however, once you are home you could use the points to get a free sandwich or other snack. It's not a lot of work, and why not earn rewards if you are going to use the gift cards?

I like their sandwiches very much. Always a go-to at airports especially as there's always a Starbucks.

My DD and I usually order a grilled Turkey Pesto Panini with a Strawberry Acai Refresher. Also like the Chicken Caprese grilled sandwich. There's also a vegetarian one that's good....tomato and mozzarella I think. Not all locations have all the choices.
Are they gourmet? No. But they hit the spot. And the price is not bad. Ohhh...don't forget the Lemon Pound cake. Also, my husband always orders a very good Chai Tea drink as he never drinks coffee.

We've definitely ordered the Acai drink alone on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. So refreshing.
Did you know that so many Targets have Starbucks? You could use your gift card there. I alternate between a gift card or my Target Red Card for a 5% discount.

Do Not Give Your Cards Away. :)

I answered the questions that I know the answers to in red. Also, you didn't ask this, but I love to collect the Starbucks "Been There" (formally You Are Here) mugs. We use our gift cards on those.
Nice idea, and I appreciate ideas ... but I really like the idea of using these for FOOD, and I don't really use mugs. I said I don't drink coffee; that wasn't really the truth: I don't drink anything hot ... no hot tea, no cocoa, so no mugs. We're all allowed a few quirks.
even though the cookie is just slightly lower in price. The cookies are huge, can be served warm, and are ooey gooey and delicious.
La-la-la-la-la ... fingers stuck in my ears ... I do not need to start liking anything new! Especially cookies!
My husband loves their breakfast sandwiches. I think there’s one with Gouda that’s his favorite.
That's the one that caught my eye!
I would also encourage you to get the Starbucks app. It's free. You can combine all your Starbucks gift cards into one account there (I transfer gifts I get on to my main card). You earn points towards free items as you spend the money.
Cool info! We teachers always know best.
Do Not Give Your Cards Away. :)
Now that I know they're useful at Disney, I won't!

Thanks, all!

You can redeem your stars at Disney Springs for drinks and items. Every once and a while while we're at Disney and it will be a double stars day or a bonus star challenge that we'll meet and we'll end up with a nice quantity of stars to redeem. It's totally worth using the app while at Disney to accumulate stars if you're going to Disney Springs Starbucks, my entire family is on my card app and we each order separately. By the way, Dunkin Donuts also has a points earning app now, we use this on the stops along the Florida Turnpike.

So what you want to do is create an online Starbucks account. Register one of the gift cards on the account and transfer the funds from all the other gift cards onto it. Every time you purchase something, you earn stars for it. Then you can redeem those stars for something else.

When it was 1 star per purchase (transaction), it was a good deal. Then, they kept upping the stars, changing the rules, etc., so now a box costs 400 stars (when they used to cost 125 or 150 stars)....

I really can't add on to all the great information everyone gave but I wanted to talk about TEA!

Now, I don't drink coffee either but I do like to drink standard, run of the mill black tea with a little milk and sugar. I drink several cups of that at home/work daily no matter the temps outside.

When I used to go shopping all day, I always wanted a nice strong cup of hot tea as a pick me up/caffeine fix (much like the coffee drinkers get).

I discovered Starbuck's Tea Lattes and I've been drinking them for years now.

Basically you choose the type of teabag you want (mine is English Breakfast) but they have Earl Grey, Green, etc. They steep the cup half full with really hot/boiling water and sweetener if you like. They they steam/froth the milk type of your choice and that's the second half of the cup. It's really good. I like that you can customize it any way you want. More milk, less milk, 1% milk, and so on.

I also got the app where you can load up gift cards. Then for items you buy you earn points and then you can get free items. It doesn't take long, even for me who only goes there once or twice a month.

You're in luck then, because 95% of what Starbuck's sells as coffee...ain't coffee.

Their actual coffee is terrible, btw.

Starbuck's is "coffee" for people who don't like coffee.

They do have good muffins, though.

I love coffee. Worked as a barista in several different local shops, as well as Starbucks in Barnes and Noble.

I drink Starbucks iced coffee every day. It is my COFFEE of choice.

I didn't see it mentioned, but I enjoy some of Starbucks iced teas. They can be very refreshing and I generally limit the pumps of flavor/syrup to limit calories.

They also have lunchy type items, but I don't know about the Disney locations and what you can use your Starbucks app for.

Oh goodness, they have a varied menu. I don’t drink coffee, but they have some lovely drinks. They have crime based Frappuccino’s that don’t include coffee, teas, juices, and hot chocolate. I love their blended strawberry lemonade.

They have sandwiches, energy boxes, and many lovely bakery items.

I'm not a big Starbucks fan, but, yes, they do sell sandwiches and they are pretty good. I also like their cold, non-coffee, drinks. I think I recall my friend picking up a salad there at lunch too.

Now that I know they're useful at Disney, I won't!

They sell food at other Starbucks locations as well. They also sell iced drinks that are not all coffee. They have quite a bit there.

I bet quite a bit that the parents of the students who have given you sbux giftcards would have loved to know you don't drink coffee and don't go to sbux, though... (though giving teachers gifts is such an unknown thing for me; it certainly wasn't done at my schools growing up)

Starbucks has a really good Dragon Drink out right now. No coffee in it and it is delicious!

You're in luck then, because 95% of what Starbuck's sells as coffee...ain't coffee.
I wouldn't have any idea about that!
So what you want to do is create an online Starbucks account. Register one of the gift cards on the account and transfer the funds from all the other gift cards onto it.
And then my cards will be "on the app" and I can throw away the physical cards ... and pay with my phone app, right? I think I'm terribly behind the times in this particular way.
I really can't add on to all the great information everyone gave but I wanted to talk about TEA!
I hear what you're saying ... and I hate to sound like I'm just being ornery, but -- being Southern -- I am very fussy about my tea. Again, I don't drink it hot. I don't like most tea at restaurants. But I drink it down at my own house ... I only buy decaf, and I make it "just right".

The truth: I will eat pretty much anything that's put in front of me, but I am quite fussy about what I drink. Certain soft drinks are acceptable only straight from the can ... others must be over ice. Yeah, I know. Quirky.
I bet quite a bit that the parents of the students who have given you sbux giftcards would have loved to know you don't drink coffee and don't go to sbux, though... (though giving teachers gifts is such an unknown thing for me; it certainly wasn't done at my schools growing up)
I think that every single time someone gives me a Starbucks card ... but I don't see what to do about it. I can't say, "Hey, I don't like this gift you gave me. Try harder next time." Similarly, I can't say ahead of time, "If you're going to get me a gift, remember that I love Chickfillet and hate coffee." I have no desire to make any student (or parent) think I expect gifts!
Dragon Drink
Just looked it up. Looks yummy, and the nutrition isn't too bad either.

I do appreciate y'all's help!

So I LOVE the refreshers. My favorite was the Cool Lime, but sadly it was discontinued last summer (still not over it).
(note, these are very different than the pre-made ones they sell in cans)

The Very Berry Hibiscus is delicious, as is the Strawberry Acai. The mango-dragonfruit is a little sweet for my tastes.

If you get these drinks as they are originally made (with water, not lemonade) they are a very delicious, very refreshing on a hot day, low calorie drink.

:)

And then my cards will be "on the app" and I can throw away the physical cards ... and pay with my phone app, right? I think I'm terribly behind the times in this particular way.
Yes, exactly. It's so much easier, and you'll earn stars (points) towards free rewards.

So I LOVE the refreshers. My favorite was the Cool Lime, but sadly it was discontinued last summer (still not over it).
I'd be upset if I fell in love with a drink and it was discontinued. As I said upthread, I eat pretty much anything -- it comes with being one of five kids -- but I only drink a limited number of things, and I'm quite fussy about them. (I'm not really fussy overall though; if I can't have whatever kind of drink, I'm 100% happy with water.)
Yes, exactly. It's so much easier, and you'll earn stars (points) towards free rewards.
Since I've never bought anything at Starbucks, I haven't missed out on "stars" yet, but I'm going to download the app /load in my bunch of cards tonight. I'm kinda excited about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter