What would you do for an August trip?

• Wait it out a few more weeks to see if numbers go down

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Cancel and start planning something different

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 67 and in relatively good health. We spent four days in Orlando and just returned this past Tuesday. We took our own car and endured the 8 hour drive. As we were on the second floor of our hotel, we used the stairs. We were able to avoid any small, closed-in places. The one time I got anxious was at our hotel's pool. We had arrived at 10 when it opened, and had no problem socially distancing. But by noon, there was enough people moving around me without masks (not required at a pool) that I left. In the parks, we were always in masks and never close to people, even in line. On most rides, we had the vehicle to ourselves, including the Jurassic Park ride, where you do not wear masks. We used our own sanitizing sprays and wipes in the hotel room, and were glad we did not have regular maid service. That being said, we are now considering postponing a Florida beach trip later in July until later in August when crowds should be less. I am watching the numbers, and feel with the closing of bars, where people are in closed in places close to each other and talking loudly , i.e. the perfect storm, numbers will go down. But I don't want to go to Florida, even with businesses taking all precautions, if I don't feel safe in restaurants because of the demographics of most of the servers matching the group with escalating numbers. I do feel being outside would be safe, though, if we were able to maintain physical distance for most of the time. I don't feel just passing someone without a mask is dangerous unless the coughed or sneezed near me.

I just don’t know what to do. We’re booked and paid in full for our trip August 8-13 staying at Royal Pacific. This trip is to celebrate my sons 9th birthday on August 10. Cabana booked at Volcano Bay, lots of great restaurants booked and so many things we can’t wait to do and see!!

But now with these sky high Covid cases I am just so torn and freaking out!! 9,000 cases in one day:guilty:That just blew my mind and is scary and alarming. I just am so torn if I should cancel and go another time when all of this isn’t happening?? Or just stick with it and wait it out a few more weeks before making a decision? I just wish I wouldn’t have said anything to my son...he is going to be so crushed if we have to cancel!:worried:

What would you do? Anyone have an August trip and how are you feeling??
I expect the parks to close again in a week or two and stayed closed through July (thanks, non social distancing protesters and rioters). But I think it will open back up in August-end of September before closing again for the 2nd wave Oct-March.

Lots of good advice here. I think it depends on your level of comfort. We went the first Monday week they were open and stayed at the royal. At this time, the crowds were low at the park and hotel. Hotel checked our temps everyday and gave us a band. They handled COVID-19 very well and we felt safe. The parks also handled COVID-19 very well. Everyone had a mask. They had hand sanitizer before the ride and available in most times after the ride. We are a family of 4. 9 year old son and 20 year old daughter. We used disposable masks. The mask was no issue for my son at all. Me I had to take ac breaks a lot but it was doable. I just had to drink lots of water. 20 year old had a couple of times were she needed a break. Husband a couple of times as well.
There was not waits but the express pass is awesome. Every single ride was a walk on. Hagrids we were able to book a virtual time using from our room using the app.

let me know if you have any questions.

The CDC says the case numbers are probably 10 times higher than what is reported - I've been saying this for quite a while.
The more testing you do the more cases you will find.
It is a much younger group - lots of college age kids - with no or minimal symptoms.
Watch the numbers for hospitalizations - Florida has about 1000 a week.
Watch the numbers for deaths - Florida has a very low death rate.
4th of July weekend is kind of the point you want to watch - if you see those numbers change drastically then you may want to cancel.

Last edited:
I expect the parks to close again in a week or two and stayed closed through July (thanks, non social distancing protesters and rioters). But I think it will open back up in August-end of September before closing again for the 2nd wave Oct-March.
It seems highly unlikely to me that the parks will close again, reopen, and then close again. Especially for another 6 months. That would be a nightmare to navigate and manage. If they close again, I imagine they would not try to open again for a very long while or until they felt more confident in procedures and information about spread to think they can operate safely. :guilty:

...(thanks, non social distancing protesters and rioters).....

LOL. Really????? Thanks for your unscientific speculation and conjecture Mr. Hannity.

All scientific evidence (the testing, tracking and tracing) show the most recent heavy outbreaks are NOT from those who were out protesting, as the places with the largest and longest periods of protests are showing either continued decreases in covid 19 rates, or only marginal increases. What the tracking DOES show is places that had the smallest or least frequent protesting are showing the most massive increases. And the places with the greatest increases were also (not coincidentally) the earliest to re-open with the least restrictions and lowest mask adoption rates among the population.

LOL. Really????? Thanks for your unscientific speculation and conjecture Mr. Hannity.

All scientific evidence (the testing, tracking and tracing) show the most recent heavy outbreaks are NOT from those who were out protesting, as the places with the largest and longest periods of protests are showing either continued decreases in covid 19 rates, or only marginal increases. What the tracking DOES show is places that had the smallest or least frequent protesting are showing the most massive increases. And the places with the greatest increases were also (not coincidentally) the earliest to re-open with the least restrictions and lowest mask adoption rates among the population.
They aren't even tracking the protesters or asking COViD positive if they protested.
But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that daily large gatherings will super spread COVID.
Why do you think large gathering spectators at sporting events and concerts is still banned.

They aren't even tracking the protesters or asking COViD positive if they protested.
But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that daily large gatherings will super spread COVID.
Why do you think large gathering spectators at sporting events and concerts is still banned.

(This'll be my last word on the topic Mac. I don't wish for the worthwhile discussion on the original topic to get side-tracked but at the same time I'm simply trying to promote evidence based information rather than unsubstantiated misdirection. )

They are tracking rates in every state and city and they are tracing as best they can to see how the virus is spreading and its spread origins.

And simply put the scientific data shows the majority of cities with the largest and longest periods of protests are not seeing spikes. Large gatherings COMBINED with lack of distancing AND lack of masks is where the heaviest spread is occuring. And that is happening in states that had smaller protests, but loose re-opening restrictions and little mask usage.

The numbers don't lie. If one does a simple search of "are protesters to blame for recent covid 19 spikes" you will find the overwhelming agreement among scientists and researchers.

Over and out.

Except for 2 indoor rallies for the president where social distancing and mask wearing weren’t a thing...and in known hot spots. They were irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter