State by State...What is Yours Doing/Covid-19?

TN here—our state government is pathetically slow to respond despite our state being in the top 15 in case number. Restaurants were ordered to switch to take out just today. The governor has urged schools to close until March 30 but not ordered. City governments have to adopt their own policies. Nashville closed restaurants and bars a week ago. Our city has a stay at home order starting today, restaurants had closed a few days prior. Thankful our city is doing more than our state right now...

I’m so mad at our governor (& I voted for him).

Our county’s schools are closed through April 13th, & our mayor FINALLY closed all non-essential businesses yesterday & cancelled all gatherings of more than 10, including funerals. Restaurants can only be be take-out or delivery, & liquor laws were loosened so that alcohol can be be delivered as well.

Georgia: From what I can tell, most of what the governor has issued has been "guidance" rather than "orders." Georgia counties have a lot of power, and there may be counties that have issued "shelter in place" orders.

I think most if not all school systems in the state followed the guidance and closed. Our last day in our district was March 13th.

Walking trails in the area have been popular recently. Many parks with playgrounds have closed. Many restaurants have take-out only, but some may still be open for dine-in.

I live in Cobb County, an area highly affected by the virus. We already have a "shelter in place" order "for the medically fragile." We are expecting a "shelter in place" order for everyone to come this evening. It will be interesting to see what the details of the order are.

TX is a huge state and the governor has said he won’t shut the state-thus far. Dallas is shelter at home as of today and San Antonio will be at midnight tomorrow.
Texas - the governor was on TV just a little while ago. Don't know if Austin/San Antonio are Shelter at home or not yet. I live in a county next to Dallas. We've followed suit to Dallas except for sheltering at home but I'm sure that will be next since some people have tested positive in the next town that crosses our mutual county line with Dallas. Some of the surrounding towns in the counties next to us have issued Shelter at Home today.

Edited to add that our county, Rockwall, has just issued Shelter in Place as of 11:59 pm tonight.

Last edited:

Georgia: From what I can tell, most of what the governor has issued has been "guidance" rather than "orders." Georgia counties have a lot of power, and there may be counties that have issued "shelter in place" orders.

I think most if not all school systems in the state followed the guidance and closed. Our last day in our district was March 13th.

Walking trails in the area have been popular recently. Many parks with playgrounds have closed. Many restaurants have take-out only, but some may still be open for dine-in.

I live in Cobb County, an area highly affected by the virus. We already have a "shelter in place" order "for the medically fragile." We are expecting a "shelter in place" order for everyone to come this evening. It will be interesting to see what the details of the order are.

I'm in Fayette. I don't actually think any of these "shelter in place" orders actually do anything. If you want to target specific businesses or as they did last night, ban groups of 10 or more that is more effective. There are so many different things that are allowed during shelter in place. You can just simply say you're going to take care of a friend. They sound great on paper but they're really not enforceable. Hawaii enacted one this week and they even said during the press conference that it will be difficult to enforce...because it can't be done and it's just fluff.

I'm in Fayette. I don't actually think any of these "shelter in place" orders actually do anything. If you want to target specific businesses or as they did last night, ban groups of 10 or more that is more effective. There are so many different things that are allowed during shelter in place. You can just simply say you're going to take care of a friend. They sound great on paper but they're really not enforceable. Hawaii enacted one this week and they even said during the press conference that it will be difficult to enforce...because it can't be done and it's just fluff.
That makes total sense. Cobb County voted and announced the shelter in place order tonight at 8:15, but I have been searching and can't find the actual declaration anywhere- just reporters talking about it and quoting small portions of it. Part of it says, "all individuals and families are required to shelter in place consistent with this declaration." But we don't know what is in the declaration. So how can we act consistent with the declaration? It also says that non-essential businesses can operate only from 6 am until 9 pm. So wait a minute. If we are all home, how can anyone go to a non-essential business? How can anyone work at a non-essential business?

I was just emailing a friend of mine that this thing seems like they are trying to convince people to stay home but they aren't really going to make them because they can't enforce it.

Tennessee- this after the governor declared that schools will be closed until 4/24. No clue how I’m going to juggle teleworking and homeschooling 4 kids beginning next week :confused3

The mayors of Memphis, Shelby County, and many municipalities mayors have agreed that beginning at 6pm tonight we’re sheltering at home.

The university that I work for is closed for the remainder of the semester. Online instruction is happening where possible. Graduation will be rescheduled.

Tennessee- this after the governor declared that schools will be closed until 4/24. No clue how I’m going to juggle teleworking and homeschooling 4 kids beginning next week :confused3

The mayors of Memphis, Shelby County, and many municipalities mayors have agreed that beginning at 6pm tonight we’re sheltering at home.

The university that I work for is closed for the remainder of the semester. Online instruction is happening where possible. Graduation will be rescheduled.

My understanding is that Kentucky and Tennessee were similar except there was a stay at home order in Kentucky and so far none in Tennessee. The number of cases spiked in Tennessee.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/h...id-19/51-bd8e321b-838a-4d4e-ab5d-8a4abbe9e897
b9aae07e-7326-4216-a75f-339f9bfcc346_750x422.jpg

I get it's going to be rough. I've got one kid and it's been one heck of a ride.

you do know it’s only for retail non essential. So most have to work.

In NJ today I passed two garden centers whose signs said they were open for business. I wouldn't consider them essential. I suppose convenience stores are essential since they sell food, even if the majority is snacks and junk food.

My understanding is that Kentucky and Tennessee were similar except there was a stay at home order in Kentucky and so far none in Tennessee. The number of cases spiked in Tennessee.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/h...id-19/51-bd8e321b-838a-4d4e-ab5d-8a4abbe9e897
b9aae07e-7326-4216-a75f-339f9bfcc346_750x422.jpg

I get it's going to be rough. I've got one kid and it's been one heck of a ride.
Yes, Kentucky was much more proactive than TN. I live in Knoxville, and our city and county mayor have been more active than the state government at this point. We had a stay at home order starting yesterday when we had 7 cases in the county. The governor has recommended schools stay closed until April 24 but he hasn’t ordered it...I wish he would just make a concrete decision

I live in Chicago, and my bank is just 2 blocks from my house. My husband is the driver in the house, but he has never done the banking. Surprising? Yes, I know, but that's a fact. As long as this is a temporary measure, I guess I can live with that. I just do not like it, and can't understand why each bank, and pharmacy can't set up one safe window for pedestrians like myself.

Texas - the governor was on TV just a little while ago. Don't know if Austin/San Antonio are Shelter at home or not yet. I live in a county next to Dallas. We've followed suit to Dallas except for sheltering at home but I'm sure that will be next since some people have tested positive in the next town that crosses our mutual county line with Dallas. Some of the surrounding towns in the counties next to us have issued Shelter at Home today.

Edited to add that our county, Rockwall, has just issued Shelter in Place as of 11:59 pm tonight.

The Austin area starts tonight with shelter in place. Travis, Hays and Williamson counties. Don’t know about the other surrounding counties.

I live in Chicago, and my bank is just 2 blocks from my house. My husband is the driver in the house, but he has never done the banking. Surprising? Yes, I know, but that's a fact. As long as this is a temporary measure, I guess I can live with that. I just do not like it, and can't understand why each bank, and pharmacy can't set up one safe window for pedestrians like myself.

At least around here the banks have been open. The way I saw it at one bank was that there was a line outside and everyone was encouraged to space each other while in line. Then they would allow people in as tellers became available. I decided not to use that branch. At a less crowded branch we just entered normally, but there was actually no line inside. I think that was considered different because there weren't enough customers to justify it.

If I lived within 2 blocks from a bank, I think it would be considered an essential business and otherwise open normally. But of course with certain changes to how it's set up.

Can’t your husband drive you to the bank and CVS? Seems like that would be safer if possible.

IN seems to have a shelter in place order that went into effect like 11:59 PM last night. I think there was talk about taking away the licenses of businesses (best I remember I heard some restaurants and bars somewhere were not cooperating) that didn't comply. I know a list of essential business examples was published but the wording was like "but not limited to". I just feel like that gives a lot of wiggle room.

CA may be "doing" a lot, but if you want evidence that the message just isn't getting through to ordinary people, even with all the grocery shortages and the non-stop press conferences, some of our neighbors are planning to go camping in another state. They had to cancel their Spring Break vacation, so this would be the consolation prize. They assured us that it would be okay, though, because they won't be flying or staying in a hotel. Uh huh. And how does that translate to shelter in place? The "shelter" part seems to be sort of clear, but the "in place" part doesn't appear to be computing.

In Louisiana our governor has said that our cases are increasing per capita faster than anywhere in the world. He issued a stay at home order that started yesterday. As far as I can see the only things closed are hair and nail salons. Everything else seems to be open - including, arts and craft stores, Game Stop and car dealerships.

In Louisiana our governor has said that our cases are increasing per capita faster than anywhere in the world. He issued a stay at home order that started yesterday. As far as I can see the only things closed are hair and nail salons. Everything else seems to be open - including, arts and craft stores, Game Stop and car dealerships.

I saw that on the news yesterday. That MardiGras is contributing to the spike in cases.

Yes, Kentucky was much more proactive than TN. I live in Knoxville, and our city and county mayor have been more active than the state government at this point. We had a stay at home order starting yesterday when we had 7 cases in the county. The governor has recommended schools stay closed until April 24 but he hasn’t ordered it...I wish he would just make a concrete decision

As of last night Shelby County (Memphis) had 135 cases, the second highest in the state. The county health department commented that people need to start taking it seriously because they’re already looking at a shelter in place until Late May.

VA: Our shelter in place for 30 days started last night at midnight. Essential businesses can stay open, restaurants, bars, hair salons, etc. have to close. The governor has closed all public schools in the state for the rest of the academic year. Most colleges (including the one where I work) have gone online for the rest of the academic year - except for Liberty University, which has required faculty to come back and allowed students to come back, so they will probably be a COVID hotbed soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter