• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

State of Transportation

Panthius

Finally a DIS Veteran
I recently asked Walt Disney World via their website about the transportation and the expansion of the monorail. I just got my response and was happy to get my reply which I am now going to share with all of you:

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

We sincerely appreciate your interest in learning why the monorail system is not
connected to other resort and theme park locations within our "World." We would
like to mention that we are currently redeveloping our Transportation Master
Plan. You may also be happy to know that we are looking into the possibility of
phasing in various "magical" modes of transportation into our existing system.
Regrettably, any further information regarding target dates or details are not
available to us, as we are only in the planning stages. Regardless, your
thoughts are appreciated and they have been shared with the appropriate
management individuals.

We look forward to another opportunity to serve and entertain you.

From the sound of this, there do not appear to be any plans to exapnd the current monorial system, however, the other "magical" modes of transportation do sound very interesting. I guess all we can do is wait to hear anything more on this in the future, although I will not be holding my breath waiting for any further information.

Panthius

Magical Modes.....Intresting. Could that be more busses??

Seriously, after reading that statement, I immediately thought of those "resort cruiser" buses used at Tokyo Disney (I've seen pictures; I've not been there).

Nothing more Magical than watching the soot pump out of those exhaust pipes and dirty that WDW air !!! I love the stars and peoples eyes and smiles on their faces, while they wait at those bus stops too !!!

I remember hearing a while back that some form of Light Rail transit system was being proposed as opposed to a full blown monorail expansion. The monorail expansion was going to cost quite a bit of money, so the thought was to examine the possiblity of a less expensive light rail system. While this is not a monorail expansion, this is still better than the current bus on demand system they seem to be stuck with.

From the sound of the response to my query, I immediately thought of this light rail system since it would be a lot more "magical" than the bus system they have now, as well as a lot more friendly to the environment.

Hopefully, in time, we will discover that what this CM has sent to me will result in the reduction in the number of busses on property and increase the number of other modes of transportation such as a light rail system to the resorts which currently do not have any other mode of transportation besides the busses.

Pan

Several light-rail proposals have been put forth over the last decade. But since none of them would produce a positive cash flow, they along with all the other transportation initutives have been killed. The various "magical" means of transportation the letter was talking about must truely be "magical" since the people in charge of designing WDW's new system were laid-off a year ago. Maybe that giant wand at Epcot could give us a monorail system.

The future of transportation around property is not too bright at the moment. There are continuing rumors about Disney selling the entire system (busses, monorails, etc.) off to a contractor. The outside company would be left with finding ways of making money on the project - selling tickets, ad space, airport transportation rights, government subsidies, etc. - and then pay Disney a heafty fee on top of everything. Surprisingly, they haven't had a lot of takers.

Until the entire company gets straightened out (read that to mean the moment WDW doesn't have to pay for 'Dinotopia' level money pits), expect continued long waits for smoke bleching busses.

Unless you're staying at Pop Century (just a rumor)....

A positive cash flow for the transportation system of WDW is a curious issue. I seem to remember back throughout the entire 80's you had complimentary monorail transportation if you stayed on Walt Disney World property, but if you were not staying on property, I believe you had to pay to use the monorail system, or possibly any other transportation system.

Since this time, probably sometime in the "Disney Decade" they made the monorail service free to all. This does not sound like something that was done in hopes to make money out of the transportation system. Again, this was quite a while ago and most likely the philosophy has changed with the addition of certain people into upper management, but it still was taking away revenue from WDW.

Might it be possible to make the existing and any future expansion of the transportation system available for free as a perk to onsite guests while non onsite guests wold have to pay for the service? I would support this if it meant the ability to not have to take a bus to The Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom and it would be a means to help pay for this additional transportation.

Pan

Technically, each multi-day ticket includes use of the WDW transportation system. And there is (technically) a transportation ticket available for people without park-hoppers. It just costs too much to have all the monorail drivers, boat drivers and bus drivers check, so everyone now gets a "free" ride. Disney charges it lease holders for use of the transportation system too, so if you stay at the Dolphin part of your room rate also covers the busses and motor launches. If you remember back, the busses that went to the Hotel Plaza properties also used to be WDW Transport - now they're a different bus line. Same issue when the Disney Inn was sold to the government; Disney won't even let the G.I.'s ride for free and they had to go buy a bus. All issues are about money.

There is a great amount of accounting that makes sure all these dollars get shuffled from one account to another. And in meeting after meeting, these "dollars" are somehow used to justify and/or eliminate and/or eliminate projects. Almost nothing is done on property without someone being able to "prove" it will amke a "profit" - even it's just phoney money charged by one bit of WDW to another bit of WDW.

To anyone that has undertaken an hour trek from the Contemporary to Animal Kingdom such a "accounting games" seems rather meaningless (if not outright stupid), but that's how customer service is managed these days.

This is really sad to me if what Sir Voice says is true.

If the company had this same attitude in the late 70's they would never have expanded the monorail system in the first place. Do you really think they were having these same types of meetings then? Of course not. It was the right thing to do! Shoot, they built the monorail expansion even before EPCOT was finished so you could ride over to the site and check out the construction progress. It never cost any extra money to ride it either. As Voice stated, there is a transportation charge built in to the ticket price. I can remember back in the 80's somtime that they even showed that charge on your ticket (about $1-2 I believe).

The Disney company has more cash flow than they did in the 70's. There is no excuse for not expanding the monorail system. They did it in Tokyo for Disney Sea. Vegas is getting an expanded monorail line. Don't tell me Disney cannot afford to do it or it is not profitable. Expanding the line out to EPCOT did not bankrupt the company. The current Disney company is more interested in buying half rate cable networks for 5 billion dollars!!!! :confused:

expect continued long waits for smoke bleching busses. Unless you're staying at Pop Century (just a rumor)....
Well, you've caught my interest. I'm reading this to mean that Pop might not even have bus service. Before I start analyzing the percent of drivers v flyers to WDW and the cost of a rental car v. the price differentail between Pop and the All Stars (which there is none at the moment), let me know if I read your statement correctly.

The idea’s been floated (along with a few others). More likely is a limitation on routes – Pop Century will get busses but you’ll have to transfer to get where you’re going.

Don't worry, Pop Century will have buses at least to all four major parks. Transferring won't work, folks at the place (for example Caribbean Beach) where Pop Century folks might transfer will object.

Except to Downtown Disney, buses work just fine if there are enough of them. A trolley (light rail) system will cost almost as much as a monorail if it is elevated above all the automobile traffic.

As far as I remember, the monorail was always free to all. In fact to get to MK, day guests have to take the monorail if not take the ferry boat.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Get on these forums faster! Bookmark www.disboards.com instead of wdwinfo.com.

I'm sure they think twice before they do anything that might limit occupancy rates.

However, one assumes a good portion of the people opting to stay at PC are doing so for budget reasons (unless color blindness is a bigger epidemic than I realize). I would expect fewer rental cars per guest than the other resorts and therefore a population more dependant on Disney transportation. Also a bigger population of "only a bed" people who spend more time in the parks and therefore rely more heavily on getting to places in a stressless and timely manner. If PC got a reputation as a poor transporation location I would think it could really hurt bookings.

Yes, it would be cool to have a complete park monorail system. However, even with the Vegas example I have to assume this is still the most expensive transportation option for WDW. I'm not convinced that more mono-rails are the best way to WOW guests. I'd opt for a lesser cost option and put the extra money into the parks.

My personal wish is that they would minimize the "smoke belching busses" and start adding "smoke belching trains" :-)

I imagine that with the price of diesel (and drivers) going higher at a fairly steady rate the ROI on light rail systems would get interesting to the 'bean counter' mentalities at WDW any day now.

The way Disney has been making decisions the last several years, the only way we will see any new transportation system to replace busses is if they can prove that their addition would increase profits.

I would guess that it would be cheaper to open 1 new gate and a new water park than to build a monorail system that would completely replace busses. I am also not convinced that a new monorail or light rail system would provide better/faster transportation to the parks.

In the early to mid 80's the monorail was definitely not free to all. I had stayed at the Poly about 7 years straight and if I wanted to use the monorail, I had to flash them my resort ID card showing me to be staying at an onsite resort. No ID card, no ride.

As for the financial aspect of expanding the monorail system or adding a light rail system, would again not allowing everybody to use this system (charge to use the system, maybe a daily/weekly/annual pass or so) and having the "free" usage of this new transportation system as a "perk" to onsite guests, pay for a majority of the expansion if not the whole thing and then some? Basically, keep the cost of the transportation system built into the onsite guests, but no longer allow anybody to use the new system without a charge. The charge would have to be low enough to get people to pay to use the system, but high enough to make financial sense.

As for a light-rail/monorail expansion speeding up the transportation, it may not, but it would make the wait be that much more "magical" and definitely more enjoyable than those wonderful busses.

Pan

a neat idea that would not cost a lot of $$$$ is a dedicated buss lane.Made so no cars can use them,transmiters on the busses to give them priority at the trafic lightsthis would cut down transport time to and from the parks.Transport systems like this are starting to apear in citys in our cuntry(UK) why not in disney the only problem i have with the buses at disney is when they get stuck in trafic,spoils the disney expereance for me
Paulh
PS do they still run the meat wagon to the all stars ( thats what it looked like to me)

The 'bus' that I've seen for the All-Stars that I think you are referring to is the converted Semi-Trailer that looks distinctly like the trucks that we ship cattle in, in Texas. I've never been inside one - perhaps they are comfortable - but they sure look odd...

If there were bus lanes and they spent a modest amount on theming the buses, perhaps even converted them to save money by using electricity/hydraulic energy instead of diesel (which would also minimize the smell/sound) I suppose I could live without a monorail expansion...I just wish they would do something!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter