Stay away from the Disney Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitDisney

DISfanatic
This boat is a construction zone. We're here on our honeymoon and while we're having fun with the ports and such, this boat is a disaster. There is construction and construction noise all day at the "Quiet Cove" adult pool. So naturally I head to my pricey verandah to get some peace and quiet. There is also construction a couple decks down so my entire stateroom sounds like it's part of a construction zone. Forget about a nice midday nap.

Save your money.

What exactly are they doing to Quiet Cove, do you know? Is there construction elsewhere? We were on the Wonder last month to Alaska and it was fantastic, no construction whatsoever. We'll be on her again in May 2018. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Have you gone to guest services to voice your complaints?

What exactly are they doing to Quiet Cove, do you know? Is there construction elsewhere? We were on the Wonder last month to Alaska and it was fantastic, no construction whatsoever. We'll be on her again in May 2018. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Have you gone to guest services to voice your complaints?

I don't know what they are doing, but the area on the opposite side of the pool from signals is all covered in a giant white and yellow tarp. And there is drilling and metal cutting noises behind it all day. I've been avoiding the area because it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Did you talk to Guest Services about this? That seems like a logical first step. Perhaps it is some type of emergency repair at the Quiet Cove pool. The same may be true for whatever you are hearing near your stateroom. Telling folks to "stay away" and "save your money" appears to be a bit of an overreaction without knowing more. DCL does not typically schedule elective construction that would affect guest areas during a cruise, at least that has been my experience over the years.

My stateroom is currently vibrating the noise is so loud. I've recorded a video on my phone for posterity and to prove that I'm not totally crazy.

You mentioned that you are on your honeymoon. Being married is a lot like being in a construction zone all the time, only noisier, so this will be a good primer for the years to come!

Kidding. Just a little brevity to lighten up what is obviously an annoying issue. In all seriousness, I would talk to Guest Services and explain the entire situation, including the fact that you are on your honeymoon. If it is unavoidable noise and construction, DCL may move your stateroom or at least give you a bottle of wine or something for your trouble.

You mentioned that you are on your honeymoon. Being married is a lot like being in a construction zone all the time, only noisier, so this will be a good primer for the years to come!

Kidding. Just a little brevity to lighten up what is obviously an annoying issue. In all seriousness, I would talk to Guest Services and explain the entire situation, including the fact that you are on your honeymoon. If it is unavoidable noise and construction, DCL may move your stateroom or at least give you a bottle of wine or something for your trouble.

That's what I did first. They told me they would talk to the deck crew or whoever would be in charge of those projects. 20 min later they called me back to let me know they had actually spoken to that other team and it had "been noted". When I brought up the fact that I just wanted to nap but couldn't, the guest services person even commented that it sounded loud through the phone. That was 40 min ago and no response.

I'm not one to normally complain about an occasional annoyance, but I have been enduring construction noise every day this trip. If it wasn't for the cast members being amazing around the ship, this would be a miserable vacation thus far.

I hope it gets better. But you have every right to complain.

Congratulations!!

We had a similar situation occur when we were on the Wonder in 2016. The crews were doing some sort of work near the entrance to the theater, which happened to be just below our room. Not a big deal except the work started around midnight. My husband went downstairs and I called guest services. It woke up my entire family and the family in the cabin next door. Kids screaming, the whole nine yards. My husband said it looked they were hitting something in the ceiling with a metal rod (think....the cabins are metal too). It would stop for a few minutes, then pick back up again...this continued for almost 3 hours. It was the first night of our cruise. I was LIVID to say the least. We ended up with free wine, bottled water, fruit and cheese plate (not the one from room service), stuffed animals, framed pictures. They at least attempted to make up for it, but there wasn't much that was going to help me recover from lost sleep. I'm a bear without my necessary 8 hours!

That's what I did first. They told me they would talk to the deck crew or whoever would be in charge of those projects. 20 min later they called me back to let me know they had actually spoken to that other team and it had "been noted". When I brought up the fact that I just wanted to nap but couldn't, the guest services person even commented that it sounded loud through the phone. That was 40 min ago and no response.

I'm not one to normally complain about an occasional annoyance, but I have been enduring construction noise every day this trip. If it wasn't for the cast members being amazing around the ship, this would be a miserable vacation thus far.

40 minutes ago doesn't sound like a long time for resolution. Give them at least 24 hours... :/

This boat is a construction zone. We're here on our honeymoon and while we're having fun with the ports and such, this boat is a disaster. There is construction and construction noise all day at the "Quiet Cove" adult pool. So naturally I head to my pricey verandah to get some peace and quiet. There is also construction a couple decks down so my entire stateroom sounds like it's part of a construction zone. Forget about a nice midday nap.

Save your money.

Ships are sailing 365 days a year, unless in dry dock. Maintenance is constant and does not usually impact entire cruises. What did Guest Services tell you they were going to do? Perhaps a visit back to Guest Services would help ease the situation that you are complaining about.

Congratulations on the honeymoon!:dogdance:party::dogdance:

I agree that 40 minutes is pretty short but this isn't the kind of thing that can just be noted for later if its that bad. Did they at least tell you what it is for..? Or how long it will continue?

It just got a bit quieter (2.5 hours from the start), but that is likely because we are supposed to be leaving the port now and I can't imagine they are able to do crazy drilling work during that time. I will update this thread if it gets going in full swing again.

For reference I am on Deck 6, forward port side.

And while I totally understand maintenance, this has been like someone running a jackhammer right outside your room. For the prices they charge on DCL you would think they could afford to have an occasional off-day between cruises to do work like this in between dry-dock sessions.

The only thing I can think of is if it is an emergency thing like a pipe break..? Part of why I am curious what the cause is. Either way I hope they're done with the super loud stuff, finishing up, and the rest of your cruise is blissfully quiet!

You should also notify DCL on Twitter. Companies usually monitor and often respond ASAP because it so public and widely seen. Might get you some help from shoreside if nboard guest services is unresponsive. If it's an emergency repair, they should say so. Otherwise, it just makes it appear that they decided to do some construction without interrupting the revenue flow. I'd be peeved.

I also just sent them a message asking about this, so hopefully they can resolve it for you and it won't be an issue for future cruisers, including us who are already way past the point of being able to get a refund anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter