• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stay away from the Disney Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys crack me up. DCL could make guests sleep in the ship's brig and there would still be some here defending them and calling those who dared to voice a complaint "entitled". For the most part Disney is a good company with excellent customer service. There are many times they go above and beyond. However, just like any other company, there are also times they make mistakes and don't handle those mistakes well. I have no doubt this is harder to see from the concierge areas of the ship where every effort is made to cater to your comfort and needs, but it does happen.

Remember, people believe they are purchasing a premium product because that's what DCL sells customers. Here's a screenshot from their website and this is one of many examples of them marketing themselves as a premium option for cruising so when people pay more to sail with DCL and DCL doesn't deliver on what they sell, of course some will feel like they didn't get what they paid for. Yes, there will be times, out of their control that they and all the other cruise lines cannot deliver (although elective additions to concierge areas are different than needed maintenance and repair...why wasn't this done during dry dock?) but there are ways to alleviate the burden on guests during these times and it doesn't sound everything possible was done here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 12.39.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 12.39.30 PM.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 192

I'm kind of glad that I have moved on from DCL exclusively. We've taken two Viking cruises now. I like how they treat each guest equally, suites or not. We all mingle together in the same areas of the ship even, lol. I don't like that DCL is beginning to segregate the concierge level. What are we? Back to the Titanic?

I'm kind of glad that I have moved on from DCL exclusively. We've taken two Viking cruises now. I like how they treat each guest equally, suites or not. We all mingle together in the same areas of the ship even, lol. I don't like that DCL is beginning to segregate the concierge level. What are we? Back to the Titanic?

Don’t go near NCL. The Haven guests are totally isolated. And on another cruise forum have bragged about buying up all the wrist bands to the on-ship adult only for-pay area so that no one is in there to make noise (it is right next to the Haven sun deck on at least the Breakaway). That plus a few videos of various ships of theirs totally turned me off of trying them. (Plus, in full disclosure, the fact that my principal cruises them on breaks often and I do NOT want to be stuck on a ship with her made it a hard NO!_

Last edited:

Some of you guys crack me up. DCL could make guests sleep in the ship's brig and there would still be some here defending them and calling those who dared to voice a complaint "entitled". For the most part Disney is a good company with excellent customer service. There are many times they go above and beyond. However, just like any other company, there are also times they make mistakes and don't handle those mistakes well. I have no doubt this is harder to see from the concierge areas of the ship where every effort is made to cater to your comfort and needs, but it does happen.

Remember, people believe they are purchasing a premium product because that's what DCL sells customers. Here's a screenshot from their website and this is one of many examples of them marketing themselves as a premium option for cruising so when people pay more to sail with DCL and DCL doesn't deliver on what they sell, of course some will feel like they didn't get what they paid for. Yes, there will be times, out of their control that they and all the other cruise lines cannot deliver (although elective additions to concierge areas are different than needed maintenance and repair...why wasn't this done during dry dock?) but there are ways to alleviate the burden on guests during these times and it doesn't sound everything possible was done here.

That screenshot is priceless. Considering I sailed with Carnival once and did not find the two cruiselines to be THAT different... I read what is written in that screenshot and... It's like I've ever sailed with the DCL they are describing. :confused3

I don't really mind concierge guests being segregated. They added the upstairs to the cove specifically for Alaska. Now they are turning it into a concierge lounge. A lot of ships sailing to Alaska have viewing areas indoors. The new NCL Bliss looks amazing. Some even have covered pools.
I would have spent a lot of time in the cove had it been open.

That screenshot is priceless. Considering I sailed with Carnival once and did not find the two cruiselines to be THAT different... I read what is written in that screenshot and... It's like I've ever sailed with the DCL they are describing. :confused3
One the ex cms on here was telling me that Disney doesn't boast about their service. Now I have proof. It's just not excellent it's legendary.

I don't really mind concierge guests being segregated. They added the upstairs to the cove specifically for Alaska. Now they are turning it into a concierge lounge. A lot of ships sailing to Alaska have viewing areas indoors. The new NCL Bliss looks amazing. Some even have covered pools.

At least on RCCL's Radiance, the indoor viewing areas were open to everyone - there was ONE portion of ONE of the lounges for suite guests, but it was not even in the front, and it did not take up an entire space that had been open to everyone. They didn't take away areas intended for everyone to make them for just one group.

Yeah, this is really sad. Part of our family used that area quite often during our Alaskan cruise. It was lovely to sit up there and watch the scenery as it was pretty cold outside. I'm disappointed at DCL for doing this. The lounge on the Dream/Fantasy doesn't take anything away from those of us who don't book concierge rooms, so it doesn't bother me nearly as much. Not that DCL cares, but this makes me less likely to book a future cruise to Alaska on a Disney ship (and yes, I really would love to return there someday).

Yes, I was on the Wonder 2 weeks ago and the first place headed was to the Outlook over the Cove and was also told it was being converted to a concierge lounge. I could see them working on it and we could alsoi see folks already up there. I was very sad to see this go away. It was just so nice to go up there and take in the scenery and relax.

Thats really unfortunate... I also spent a ton of time up there (as did the naturalist) on our alaskan cruise. When they were just taking half I thought ok, thats not so bad but now the whole thing? So sad. :sad1:

So true! And wow to how they sell it. Have never seen that on the website but outstanding dining and legendary service? Hmmm, missed the outstanding dining and have had excellent (never had legendary) service on 1 of 6 cruises. Doesn't sound like the cruise line I've been sailing.

Last edited:

We booked the Bliss for August. Those viewing areas DO look amazing!

Me sailing concierge I'm so glad they are doing this. I can't stand being around the poor folks. We need to have the whole ship to ourselfs. Maybe have them stay in their lowly staterooms at least a few hours a day will be nice. Give them a free disney movie to watch on their tv. So the rich like myself can enjoy the ship.

Just kidding I never sail concierge. I'm usually in a inside room.

Yes, I was on the Wonder 2 weeks ago and the first place headed was to the Outlook over the Cove and was also told it was being converted to a concierge lounge. I could see them working on it and we could alsoi see folks already up there. I was very sad to see this go away. It was just so nice to go up there and take in the scenery and relax.

It's especially jarring given that concierge suites on DCL's summer Alaskan cruises are $20,000+ for just two people. Completely out of reach for most travelers, even for most Disney travelers.

We'll be cruising Alaska in June on DCL, and fortunately I'm going on a mom & (13 year-old) son trip, so I wouldn't have been hanging out in the adults-only Outlook area, anyway. But I definitely won't ever do an adults-only cruise to Alaska on DCL, since they've taken away the Outlook from most adult guests. I think there are other lines that offer a better adults-only Alaska cruise.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Now that we're getting off the ship, our final resolution was basically this:

We finally got a real call back from someone in guest services who essentially said "is there noise today? No? Ok then have a nice day."

When I didn't like that answer, they offered to send up a bottle of wine to the room which was average. They also told me they would refund me for a spa package we paid for, but alas they still charged me for it.

This unfortunately will be my first and last experience on Disney cruise line. While some folks on this thread seem to take personal offense to me referring as Disney as being premium price/service, this is how they market themselves and price themselves. I get better service and amenities at Disney world in a deluxe resort so I will be sticking to that and using other cruise lines when I want to sail.

The staff on this sailing (minus guest services) was fantastic. I imagine most folks sailing this ship after me will be fine. I apologize again if my original post/post title was a bit hyperbolic but this is what happens when vacations encounter issues. And vacation issues have always been where the Disney brand shines. This is the first time I have been truly disappointed with both Disney AND their response to the issue.

The good news is the all the money I will save with Royal Caribbean will let me go on vacation more often.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. This news about expanding the concierge lounge is really disappointing.

Totally agree. We spent some nice time up on second floor of the cafe this past Alaskan cruise; one my fave memories is coming back from our excursions in Ketchikan, taking the kids to the clubs and then having a drink upstairs in Cove, overlooking the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter