Stay, Play, Dine Calculation

I am only just getting back into Disney planning and researching but I saw this offer and wondered how it stacked up against FD. We have visited WDW 4 out of 5 of our latest trips with FD. I am happy others are good with numbers because I most certainly am not, but I can say that this new promo still costs significantly more than should I get the FD promo again.

and...well, that stinks!

I am only just getting back into Disney planning and researching but I saw this offer and wondered how it stacked up against FD. We have visited WDW 4 out of 5 of our latest trips with FD. I am happy others are good with numbers because I most certainly am not, but I can say that this new promo still costs significantly more than should I get the FD promo again.

and...well, that stinks!

Unfortunately for most family sizes the SPD deal isn't as good as FD. For a solo traveler at some deluxe resorts (and possibly 2 adults staying at select Deluxe resorts at the right time) the SPD could save them more money than FD but that is extremely rare.

However, for most Jan-Mar travelers we're used to this SPD deal now since they haven't done free dining for those dates for a few years now. For some travel parties (especially those with lots of Adults or "Disney adults") the SPD just can't compare to FD. This is most apparent at the value resorts where the room component of the discount is virtually nothing.

This has been an interesting thread to read! Thanks for all the calculations!

We are doing:

2 adults
2 kids
1 free baby

5 nights AofA Cars Suites, 5 ticket days
2/8-2/13 (Sun-Fri)

Sorry, threw in a Sunday there!! lol

You would probably say the discount is mostly on the dining for my scenario, too. (?) It seemed that way when I was plugging things into the website. I would pick a resort (same time frame with each selection), and the cost would barely go up with adding regular dining plan. $3363.38 In MDE, it came up as MYW + Dining.

I'd love to make use of your services. I was actually trying to price out a POR stay under SPD discount, be we are a family of 5, and no rooms showed up.

So I priced out a vacation at the Beach Club, Garden View is what showed availability, and it came up as $5,755.50 (before checkout, so assume taxes not yet included). This was for check in 1/16 and check out date of 1/24, so a 9 night stay.

Family consists of 2 adults, 1 adult kid (12) and two kids (9 & 8).

As I said, the WDW website prices this out, before checkout at $5,755.50.

Can one of you provide how the discount breaks down? Thanks so much in advance.

For anybody who was following this thread last year and is interested in 2016:

>>>>>>>
BREAKING NEWS (for all of you discount nerds out there!)

I believe I have cracked the code on the SPD Discount for Moderate Resorts - here it is!

TICKETS: No Discount (no surprise there);
ROOM: $1.00 Off Rack Rate per night (no that isn't a joke!);
DINING: Adult #1 = 55% OFF Dining Plan; Person 2-5 = 45% OFF Dining Plan (regardless of adult or child).

There is no price break when changing or upgrading Tickets or when changing or upgrading the dining plan. See here for more details...http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-stay-play-dine-calculation-thread.3451389/

If I can get motivated I'll look at how it works at values and deluxe too!
>>>>>>>>

For anybody who was following this thread last year and is interested in 2016:

>>>>>>>
BREAKING NEWS (for all of you discount nerds out there!)

I believe I have cracked the code on the SPD Discount for Moderate Resorts - here it is!

TICKETS: No Discount (no surprise there);
ROOM: $1.00 Off Rack Rate per night (no that isn't a joke!);
DINING: Adult #1 = 55% OFF Dining Plan; Person 2-5 = 45% OFF Dining Plan (regardless of adult or child).

There is no price break when changing or upgrading Tickets or when changing or upgrading the dining plan. See here for more details...http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-stay-play-dine-calculation-thread.3451389/

If I can get motivated I'll look at how it works at values and deluxe too!
>>>>>>>>

Sorry for bumping this up if it's been covered in a more recent thread, but does the math still hold true for Moderates in the month of January?

Sorry for bumping this up if it's been covered in a more recent thread, but does the math still hold true for Moderates in the month of January?

The 2017 version of this thread can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2017-calculation-thread.3550783/

I edited the original post and added that link there as well. There is more info on the 2017 thread but this deal has basically repeated for winter for a number of years, and each year it has gotten progressively worse (meaning the savings have been less). The deal is typically released in late sept or early oct. From the link above here is an example which shows how the pricing has changed over the years. I would expect the discount to be lowered again this year (and you have to combine that with the typical resort and ticket price increases which stings even more).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is an example of the SPD deal in 2016 vs. 2017. Our example family is 2 adults, a child age 7 and a child age 1 (free). They are staying 6 nights in a standard room at CBR at the end of Jan/early Feb with 7 day base tickets and the regular Disney dining plan.

In 2015 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Rom: $1,057
Tickets: $1,014
Dining: $376
TOTAL: $2,447

In 2016 under the SPD deal they would have paid (all approximate):
Room: $1,122
Tickets: $1,049
Dining: $458
TOTAL: $2,629

In 2017 under the SPD deal they will pay (all approximate):
Room: $1,151
Tickets: $1,161
Dining: $524
TOTAL: $2,836

So with the price increases on rooms, tickets & dining, combined with the lesser discount amounts...the example family pays $182 more in 2016 (vs. '15) and $207 more in 2017 (vs. '16). Over 2 years the same discounted package goes up $389 which is approximately an 8% increase annually.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter