Stay, Play, & Dine Math HELP

dumape

Earning My Ears
So I'm trying to calculate some things. I know during SD&P adults eat for the price of a kid. I also know if you upgrade the dining, you pay the difference. So say 3 adults stayed at a value resort that comes with Quick Serve dining but wanted to ungrade dining plans:

QS - $16.03 per night age 3 to 9 (taxes included)
Basic - $19.23 per night per children ages 3-9 (taxes included)
Deluxe - $29.86 per night ages 3 to 9 (tax included)

So would it be 3.20 per adult per day to upgrade QS --> Basic? And 13.83 per person per day to upgrade to deluxe?

I know you guys have way more experience with this stuff!

No. The upgrade price is the difference between the two ADULT prices. So it's child price + adult plan difference.

I think it's $18 between the adult QS and adult DDP off the top if my head. So $18+16 = $34 per night for the DDP in a quick service room (roughly).

I'm also not sure of how this discount works, I remember seeing things last year on here but didn't pay attention as I didn't go during that time frame now I wished I did! Planning an early Feb trip with DD8 and DS4, moderate resort
for 6 nights
No discount- room/ph tickets 2,626
20% room/tickets 2,428
PSD- 2,867 (this is rough estimate 3,584-20%) plus tips on ts meals

no clue if this is at all accurate but I'm not sure the PSD discount is the better deal, maybe I'm missing that no brainer moment someone else will probably have!

Last year SPD was discount on all aspects of the package.

The year before, it was adults paying child prices for tix and dining.

Since they weren't forthcoming with the percentages, people were still calculating it as adults paying child pricing and coming out to nearly the same numbers.

I have heard adults get child prices for dining plan and tickets, but pay rack rates for the room. I have also heard that the most recent SPD discount was about 20% off the entire package. We have 7 adults in 2 rooms so the SPD discount would be huge for us. If you have only 2 adults on the package then you may want to go with a room only discount.

Thanks so much!

Is it allowed to ask when I add the discount to my reservation what the price would be for both RO and SPD?

From what I'm hearing for 2 adults 2 kids at a moderate the better deal is RO ????

I'm also not sure of how this discount works, I remember seeing things last year on here but didn't pay attention as I didn't go during that time frame now I wished I did! Planning an early Feb trip with DD8 and DS4, moderate resort
for 6 nights
No discount- room/ph tickets 2,626
20% room/tickets 2,428
PSD- 2,867 (this is rough estimate 3,584-20%) plus tips on ts meals

no clue if this is at all accurate but I'm not sure the PSD discount is the better deal, maybe I'm missing that no brainer moment someone else will probably have!

We did the calculations, and then reconfirmed with the TA. If you are doing to be dining at WDW then the free dining becomes a lot cheaper. If you don't plan to eat much at WDW then room only is cheaper. We're planning several ADRs, so the moderates with regular dining become cheaper than the value with free dining but upgrade to regular.
So we cancelled out room only discount and got free dining.

Kind of off-topic, but it does have to do with crunching numbers/doing the math:

Historically, has the S/P/D been more cost effective than the military discount? I know that the military discount only applies to the room rate, not dining, and the armed forces salute tickets are bought separately, which is why I ask. It'd be nice to be able to just pay for it all together in one lump sum, rather than waiting around every Fall for our base ticket office to get their ticket supply.

Kind of off-topic, but it does have to do with crunching numbers/doing the math:

Historically, has the S/P/D been more cost effective than the military discount? I know that the military discount only applies to the room rate, not dining, and the armed forces salute tickets are bought separately, which is why I ask. It'd be nice to be able to just pay for it all together in one lump sum, rather than waiting around every Fall for our base ticket office to get their ticket supply.

It really depends on where you're staying and if you plan on getting dining.

Overall, I'd think military would probably be better, but it could end up breaking even. You didn't really list any details to go off of.

It really depends on where you're staying and if you plan on getting dining.

Overall, I'd think military would probably be better, but it could end up breaking even. You didn't really list any details to go off of.

Example of our upcoming Feb. '15 stay:
6 nights/7 days at POR Riverside w/QSDP is costing us $1473.00 paid to WDW Travel, with two 4-day parkhoppers from the armed forces salute costing $354.00 paid to base ticket office, so total is running us $1827.00.

I'm pretty sure that's a great deal, but I just wanted to double-check to be sure since I've never utilized the S/P/D discount before, especially since we go every February for the PHM Weekend.

6 nights/7 days at POR Riverside w/QSDP is costing us $1473.00 paid to WDW Travel, with two 4-day parkhoppers from the armed forces salute costing $354.00 paid to base ticket office, so total is running us $1827.00.

I'm pretty sure that's a great deal, but I just wanted to double-check to be sure since I've never utilized the S/P/D discount before, especially since we go every February for the PHM Weekend.

Yeah. You're tickets alone would cost more. A 4Dhopper for 2 adults at child price would be $711. You'd get a little off of the dining plan, but then you'd lose the room discount. You could take about $26/pp per night off for the QSDP - roughly $312 off.

It comes out (using these basic numbers) to roughly a $50 difference. Again though, the way they calculate it could change again and my numbers are really rough. If you get the military+QSDP package now, and SPD comes out, you can call and ask for a quote using SPD with the tickets included and see what it comes out. It's really hard to plan ahead for fluctuating discounts like this, but it seems on the surface it's nearly the same either way.
Granted, this is all going off the easiest method of calculation from the first year where adults paid child prices. The second year it was a package discount, but monetarily, calculated either way it was roughly the same.

Rack Rate for POR Riverside for 6 nights in Feb is about $200/night plus taxes so $1362 plus 2 4 day hoppers at child price $711 plus $192 for 6 nights X2 of QSDP at child price=$2265

If I go to Disney website and do POR 6 nights if Feb, 2 adult parkhoppers (4 day), and QSDP for 2 adults, the price is $2623....so PP said S,P,D turned out to be about 20% off for them...so $2098

Either way a total of $1827 looks better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter