• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stayed at Most Disney Resorts - Which one next?

Gator29

Mouseketeer
I do multiple trips to Disney a year and have stayed at all but four resorts (Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk and Contemporary). I tend to go back to the same deluxe resorts but my husband would like to try something new for our summer stay. We will NOT be doing parks but plan to have lazy resort days by the pool and head out in the evening to some of our favorite dinner spots at other deluxe resorts. We are looking at staying at a one bedroom villa at either OKW or SSR. Please help me decide. It would also be great to hear from people who have stayed at both and prefer one over the other. I am feeling so torn about which one to pick.

I do multiple trips to Disney a year and have stayed at all but four resorts (Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk and Contemporary). I tend to go back to the same deluxe resorts but my husband would like to try something new for our summer stay. We will NOT be doing parks but plan to have lazy resort days by the pool and head out in the evening to some of our favorite dinner spots at other deluxe resorts. We are looking at staying at a one bedroom villa at either OKW or SSR. Please help me decide. It would also be great to hear from people who have stayed at both and prefer one over the other. I am feeling so torn about which one to pick.
Hmm, if we're just doing resort only, I'd rank them Boardwalk, CR (close second), OKW and then SSR. Boardwalk is by far my top choice for us, especially if you have an adults only trip. So many great dining options nearby in the crescent lake area. Boat access or quick walks to other nearby properties. Some evening entertainment along the boardwalk and fun to just sit and people watch. Only downside is if you care about room location. Having a boardwalk/lake view is nice but if you're a light sleeper you might mind noise along the boardwalk. It never bothered us but could be a concern.

I don't love the pools at any of these resorts but I'd say BW has the least amount of rooms at any of these 4 resorts so your pool time should be less chaotic than the others. I realize that the larger resorts have some satellite pools but for your main pool draw, I think Boardwalk or CR would be the best bet again since they're smaller properties. I would say CR is second for monorail proximity to Poly/GF for other dining choices with fun transportation. However, I don't love the incredibles retheme if you stay in the main building.

I'd list OKW as 3rd simply for liking Olivia's and the grounds are more appealing to me than that at SSR, and SSR in last place. I realize there are a lot of folks that love these two DVC resorts but they both feel more like spread out apartment complexes and neither of these themes really appeal to me.

Even without going to the parks so no need for efficient transportation options, I just like the ability and convenience at BW and CR to travel and walk to other properties. Also, I know you didn't mention Swan/Dolphin or Swan Reserve, but these are also great properties with good dining options, nice pools and usually better pricing than most disney deluxes and are all within walking/boating distance of the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club. I've not stayed at Swan Reserve yet but it's on my list. If you have Marriott points that could be a good use of those.

Hmm, if we're just doing resort only, I'd rank them Boardwalk, CR (close second), OKW and then SSR. Boardwalk is by far my top choice for us, especially if you have an adults only trip. So many great dining options nearby in the crescent lake area. Boat access or quick walks to other nearby properties. Some evening entertainment along the boardwalk and fun to just sit and people watch. Only downside is if you care about room location. Having a boardwalk/lake view is nice but if you're a light sleeper you might mind noise along the boardwalk. It never bothered us but could be a concern.

I don't love the pools at any of these resorts but I'd say BW has the least amount of rooms at any of these 4 resorts so your pool time should be less chaotic than the others. I realize that the larger resorts have some satellite pools but for your main pool draw, I think Boardwalk or CR would be the best bet again since they're smaller properties. I would say CR is second for monorail proximity to Poly/GF for other dining choices with fun transportation. However, I don't love the incredibles retheme if you stay in the main building.

I'd list OKW as 3rd simply for liking Olivia's and the grounds are more appealing to me than that at SSR, and SSR in last place. I realize there are a lot of folks that love these two DVC resorts but they both feel more like spread out apartment complexes and neither of these themes really appeal to me.

Even without going to the parks so no need for efficient transportation options, I just like the ability and convenience at BW and CR to travel and walk to other properties. Also, I know you didn't mention Swan/Dolphin or Swan Reserve, but these are also great properties with good dining options, nice pools and usually better pricing than most disney deluxes and are all within walking/boating distance of the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club. I've not stayed at Swan Reserve yet but it's on my list. If you have Marriott points that could be a good use of those.
Your response is spot on with everything I have been feeling based on research. We even considered a Marriott property since I do have points. However, we always find ourselves wishing we were at a Disney property anytime we book at Marriott. Thanks for your reply! :)

I would not choose now to stay at Boardwalk, especially for a resort only stay.

Boardwalk is going through a lot of refurbishment.

With that said, I’m still staying there in June 😂 but it’s a park heavy trip.

I like brunch at Olivia’s, so I’d say OKW.

I mean, the 1-bedroom at OKW is bigger than other DVC properties. I don't know what their pools are like, though. It also has the option of taking a boat to Downtown Disney. I've seen the Boardwalk pool (the main pool) and I've walked through the 1-bedroom at Boardwalk (it's decent!) and I love that area with so many things nearby.
Location, I'd pick Boardwalk
Room size, I'd pick OKW
This probably wasn't very helpful. :rotfl:

I’m going with BW for location and all the dining options. Also you could hop on the sky liner and go to Riviera and CB for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Riviera IMO has the best quick service on property. I’ve never stayed at OKW but have eaten at Olivia’s many times, but I think the dining options are minimal and not much to do at the resort besides the pool. There are many more options at the BW area.

I stayed at okw this fall. Just didn’t give me the same feel as Riviera or the other deluxe I’ve stayed at. But was nice. Actually liked Caribbean beach better.

They're both good choices, but I would lean towards SSR. The new rooms are really nice and you're closer to Disney Springs.

I'm a bit ahead of you as I've only missed staying at three resorts on property - Riviera, Starcruiser, and Shades of Green. Managed to hit everything else.

Of your remaining choices - funny enough, you have some of my most regular and favorites left. My home DVC is Boardwalk and obviously I love the Epcot and DHS walkability, activity and nightlife. It is going through the refurb now, so the experience can be somewhat diminished, but still for theme park convenience and transportation convenience, it remains one of the best (walk or boat to two parks, skyliner to 3 resorts and one park, walk to 5 other resorts).

Saratoga's big selling point for me is proximity to Disney Springs - pick the sections close to the walkway. and you have dozens of restaurants, bars, and shops as your nightly picks and entertainment.

OKW is the relax spot for me. I love the completely different vibe - chill. It's probably the one resort that feels most like I'm removing myself from the theme park activity and busy-ness and hitting the reset button when I head back. I walk around a lot, take the lovely boat ride to Disney Springs and back, love the reggae and Jimmy Buffet music playing around the hospitality house and boat transport...and of course the villas are absolutely huge compared to any other DVC.

Contemporary would be my last choice - nothing wrong with it, but the main hotel's retheming isn't my favorite, and the BLT side feels the least 'homey' and most hotel-like of the DVCs (Riviera probably is similar I'd imagine)...which isn't what I really look for when I stay at DVC.

Last edited:
My first choice would be OKW followed by SSR. The Boardwalk (and area surrounding it) is in some stages of renovation, so I would visit that resort at a later time. The CR, long one of my favorites, had a room renovation using The Incredibles theme. In my opinion, that was a major mistake and the term “deluxe” no longer fits (except for the prices :rolleyes: ). The lobby looks nice and we enjoy the restaurants. But it’s a big disappointment for me otherwise. OKW and SSR are very nice resorts with spacious units. IMO they’re the best choices for a visit in the near future.

The CR, long one of my favorites, had a room renovation using The Incredibles theme. In my opinion, that was a major mistake and the term “deluxe” no longer fits (except for the prices :rolleyes: ).
Those incredibles rooms are a major downgrade. Nothing against the incredibles but it's a cheap looking reno and it lost the original appeal of the contemporary. Disney did a great job updating Poly rooms to Moana and still keeping the original feel, but the CR, two thumbs down for sure.

I would 1000% stay at OKW…it’s so relaxing.

I have stayed at all 4 and for a resort stay I would go with OKW, SSR, CR the BW. I would not be able to be that close to MK and not go in so that is why CR is third. I think OKW really gives you space and options. The balcony's are HUGE compared to the other resorts and it is very relaxing. If you want quiet they have it but a quick boat ride away is Disney Springs with a million options for food, shopping and more. This gives you the best of both worlds peaceful place to relax but action down the river when you want it.

SSR is great but it did not feel as secluded and restful as OKW and many rooms walking to Disney Spring is a better option than the boat but you arrive all the way at the end by the Art of Disney store. CR works because you can monorail to two other resorts and with a transfer boat to WL and FW. That gives food and scenery options. The issue with BW is other than Crescent Lake the other close food options require entry into Epcot or DHS and just like CR and MK I personally would be called to be in a park.

I would vote for SSR or OKW. Save BWV and CR for when you are going to be doing the parks.
Personally, SSR would be my first choice over OKW because it's closer to DS. I like getting a room in the Congress Park area and being able to sit on my balcony at night and look over the water at DS all lit up. It feels a little more magical to me. :)

Have a good trip!

Kinda depends on the people you are. OKW is the biggest room, makes a lot of sense for when you're having people over or just appreciate the space and maybe will cook more. You can def tell they had a different vision for DVC back then when they built it, vs the other much smaller resorts that came after. Other comment: I personally don't like the re-theme at CR but to each their own. Paying that much to stay at something that looks like that is a flex I guess.

My order FWIW: OKW (preferred), SSR (preferred), Boardwalk (the rooms are small and we have 2 adults, 2 kids), CR

I would definitely choose BW for the location and access to fun activities, but it is going through refurbishment.

I would pick SSR over OKW due to the newer rooms and walkability to Disney Springs. I have heard the food options are not great at SSR.

I would pick CR last if no parks are involved.

Part of the price for a Disney resort is proximity to the various parks. If you have no plans to do any park days, I would look for someplace offsite since there are many really nice hotels in the Orlando area. Renting a private home is also another option which gives you more room and perhaps even your own pool.

I love both OKW and SSR. For now, we lean towards SSR because we have young kids who like the splashground at SSR, the Murphy beds v. Pullout couch, and elevators are nice for the stroller. But other things I love about SSR: proximity to Disney Springs- being able to see DS like the Aerophile balloon, the Rainforest Cafe volcano, the boats coming and going; walking to Disney Springs to eat, walking to the DS boat dock for easy transit to Port Orleans and OKW, what seems like 2 feature pools (since the Springs and Paddock both have water slides- which I admit, I am in my 40s but still like the resort water slides), and we found it has a flatter path for the surrey bike rental. What we loved about OKW- the relaxed vibe, a patio table actually big enough to eat breakfast on, jetted tub (versus SSR soaker tub), and the Turtle Pond area. Also, they seemed to have more efficient bus service than SSR. I'd stay at either one again, though, just waiting til the kids are older for OKW again. Both resorts are great in different ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter